Conversion of Czech Models 1/32 T-33 toTwin-tailed T-33 (TV-2)

amurray

OOOPS!!!  :BANGHEAD2:

I was putting the decals on the tail when I realized that I had scribed the rudders on their outside at an angle.  The insides I scribed at a good vertical but the outsides were at an angle.  So I spent the evening filling the old scribed lines with super glue.  Next I'll strip the paint and re-scribe them.  I don't know how I did the insides correctly but screwed up the outsides. Can't believe I never noticed before now.

AAARRRGGH!!!!

Edited by amurray
Update

Speaking of decals, I made mine (the numbers and tail codes) with Testor's Decal Paper.  They printed fine but are a bit thick.  When I put Microsol on them all four edges curled up like a rolled up newspaper.

Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

I re-scribed the vertical tail sections where I had made a mistake.  Whew!!!  Scribing the individual pieces unassembled was not a problem many months ago.  Re-scribing them on the built model is yet a whole different problem. 

50542985717_b32bf128f9_c.jpg

My homemade decals did okay, at least the larger ones (TR-263).  The smaller ones on the tail that read "U.S. AIR FORCE" are a problem.  They kept shriveling up when I used Micro Sol on them.  I finally just used water on them and they are now passable.  Still a little thick.  I may experiment with different decal papers to see if I can improve the outcome.

50542846866_ee562d6161_z.jpg

Edited by amurray
Update

• 3 weeks later...

Moving (finally) into the homestretch.

I made the drogue chute out of Milliput and lead foil, added the PE release handle and wire cable.

50542064703_52cef5a20a_c.jpg

And, of course, every model should have an absolutely futile nod towards Advanced Modelers Syndrome, so I scratchbuilt the canopy latches to fit into my scratchbuilt canopy sills. Each latch is three pieces. I also added the map lights and their wiring.

35438712244_dd9cdc10cc_c.jpg

50542778621_e2f8e86003.jpg

Edited by amurray
Update

I am starting to fit the landing gear. They have a very shallow positive insert area, less than 1/8 inch. I'm thinking of inserting some small gauge aluminum tubing into the end that is inserted into the wing and then anchoring it somehow. I'm afraid liquid glue or epoxy won't create a strong enough bond for the shallow insert without the tubing.

I've asked John how he dealt with this.

Your suggestions are appreciated.     :help:

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW I have spent the better part of 4 hours restoring the photos to this "Work In Progress" build article.  I have to take the opportunity to fire one last jab at Photo Bucket who years ago, without warning, cut off access to all of my (our) photos that populated our LSP articles.  They wanted money to restore access.  Instead, I downloaded all of my photos (almost 1000 of them) first to my hard drive and then transferred them to Flickr.  After doing so, I went back onto Photo Bucket and deleted all of the photos that resided there.

I restored the "Ready for Inspection" article photos for this build several years ago.  I am just now getting around to restoring this "Work in Progress" article for which I apologize.  The kit is a very difficult build but the T-33 (in any variant) is one of my favorite aircraft.  I hope this article that previously had only a narrative now with pictures will be of help to you in building the kit.  And God knows help is needed in building this kit!

Kudos to LSP for their edit function that made the restoration relatively easy.  My only complaint is that I had to do "trial and error" to figure out how to load the photo BB Codes correctly.  I could find no tutorial on how to do so.