What is the best resin cockpit for Tamiya F-15C

Jolly Roger

Hi JR,

I cannot offer a recommendation but for what it's worth, most builds that I've seen that use the Aires set complain that Bay 5 is too short and leaves a gapof a couple of millimetres.

What I can say is that the detail on the Aires sets is phenominal.

HTH

Thank you geedubelyer, is bay 5 the one behind the pilot area with the avionics? Good to know the detail is good, but worry about a bad fit. Since this will be my first attempt at replacing kit parts, I wonder if I should get one that fits well. Has anyone used avionix parts before?

I've used the Aires set, too, and I can confirm it is too short.  I also wasn't impressed with the accuracy of Bay 5.  It was missing a few details in there that I had to add from scratch.

Jake

Thank you everyone for your input and assistance, sounds like the Aires set is probably my best option.  One further question I have.  I see Aires has both an early and a late cockpit, does anyone know the difference between them, and how would I decide which I need for a particular jet?

Guest Smitty44

P1010003.jpgI used the Avionix pit in this F-15C and to my recollection went in just fine. The Bay 5 section is a tad heavy so gluing it in place is tricky but we love tricky stuff after all. In comparison I always notice the detail in Avionix pits is just slightly rough around the edges so to speak and not as crisp as Aires. This build also includes the Wolfpack MSIP update , which is important depending on what Eagle you are depicting.

Edited by Smitty44

Thank you everyone for your input and assistance, sounds like the Aires set is probably my best option. One further question I have. I see Aires has both an early and a late cockpit, does anyone know the difference between them, and how would I decide which I need for a particular jet?

The only difference in the sets is the instrument panel, pre-MSIP, or MSIP.

I have used both sets and they have their good and bad points:

Aires:  to short front and back.   You have to line up the fire wall between the pilot bay and bay 5 and that leaves you short on both ends.   The front is hidden with the cowling and the canopy.  The rear van be fixed by cutting the side and rear bulkhead free down the side and inserting a wedge shaped spacer forcing the top of the bulkhead back to meet to the aft deck.  You can just fill it in by it looks funny and out of scale if that is a concern to you.  the set is very wide and the side panels need to be wafer thin to get the front of the fuselage to come together without forcing the opening to bow out and leave the opening wider than the canopy frame.   The Aires Late set only gives you the MSIP panel with the MFD fire control vs the original analog controls.  You still get the early C cowling, and bay 5 electronics.

Avionic. :  the seat is garbage and for an F-16, throw it away.   There is a lot of resin to be removed but the bay 5 is for a late MSIP electronic package.   The set is more accurate but quality can vary greatly in the set.   There is no cowling.   If you used the Avionix set get the  Wolpack MSIP set that gives you the exterior upgrades, plus the correct instrument panel and cowling, that to me is the best solution, but not cheap.

Hope this helps.

Gary