Found my (modelling) holy grail

Macbain

So after five years of searching and waiting and putting off finishing my nemesis kit which is the Tamiya 1/12 MP4/6 F1 car that Senna raced in 1991, I have finally the Perfect Parts detail set to match.

If this kit is available somewhere it fetches a hefty price as it is exceptionally rare, but well worth it's value. I managed to pick up a set on eBay recently (by a fellow LSP'er I'm pretty sure) for more than I'm going to tell my wife.

I have started this kit three times, and currently have three boxing's of the kit in my stash to build up to one SUPER model. Well that's the plan...

The modelling bench has been cleared and I am out of excuses to put this build off, I'm going to finish this kit if it's the last thing I do!

So after five years of searching and waiting and putting off finishing my nemesis kit which is the Tamiya 1/12 MP4/6 F1 car that Senna raced in 1991, I have finally the Perfect Parts detail set to match.

That kit was recently re-released though I suspect newer editions may not have all of the old cigarette advertising decals.

I passed up a Ferrari F2000 Revell 1/12 recently.  Nice kit but just too rich compared to other options for a quarter the price and double the fun.

Please post piccies in the non-LSP section.

Cheers Matty

I like the quote "for more than I'm going to tell my wife". Sad, but all too true for many of us.

Congrats on finding the kits and good luck with the build.

Tnarg

I like the quote "for more than I'm going to tell my wife". Sad, but all too true for many of us.

Congrats on finding the kits and good luck with the build.

Tnarg

Probably not that much more than a haircut, colour treatment and beauty session....

Love this kit and the Williams and Ferrari. They are classic kits for sure.

I have the kit in my stash as well. Mine is from the initial release and it didn't have any of the Marlboro markings in it. There are several Japanese AM companies that make them though.

Model Factory Hiro recently released the MP4/4 in 1/12th scaleand it's a stunning kit. The engine even had a working crankshaft and pistons.

Carl

Here is the one I built.  Ideally you need Zero paint's McLaren red if you can get some.  I built this on a commission basis about 5 years ago.  I don't have the car anymore.  I used Museum Collection decals.  They are available through Hobby Link Japan.   By the way I say this should qualify for the regular work in profess board.  It has wings and it is large scale.  I just fly's a lot lower than most airplanes.

DSCF1655_zps9b88bec3.jpg

Edited by cbk57

Probably not that much more than a haircut, colour treatment and beauty session....

You're not wrong!

Have you seen the documentary by Chris Rock on women and their hair called Good Hair?  I was stunned at the $$$$ being spent when I saw that. 

cbk57...Niiiiice build! Great looking car with gobs of HP.

Matty

A few years ago I built the Tamiya 1/12 Porsche 935 with the Scale Motorsport detail set.  It included lathe turned aluminum wheels and all sorts of other cool stuff.  It was a freakin blast, but a very involved and time consuming project.

You are in for a good time!  Congrats! 

as a diehard F1 fan, and a go kart racer myself, I'm pretty excited about this build. My father in law is also a die hard F1 fan, and builds alot of F1 models, he's got hundreds in his stash. Plus not too mention tobacco decals for any and all era's of F1. He has my holy grail in his stash right now, a BAR Honda car with Jenson Button and Lucky Strike markings

Congrats on getting your grail kit!

Is this the detail set that you have:

http://www.thundervalleyf1.com/main/products/mclaren-mp46-formula-perfect-super-kits/

The detail I purchased is the Perfect Parts, not to be confused with the Thunder Valley 'Formula Perfect' which I dare say was named such to cause confusion and have more people buy their kit. This is the set I purchased, but not from this source: http://www.bestbalsakits.com/tamiya/tamiya-detail.asp?kitnumber=577

I think I will post the build in the non-LSP section, there seems to be a few F1 fans. Personally I love the technology involved in the sport, so fascinating.

Acknowledge the above mention of Zero Paints, I am sourcing them from Spain at the moment, not many places want to ship overseas with these paints, apparently SpotModel do though.

Thanks for the interest gents.