F-100F, Fast FAC, "Misty FAC": Updated 9/1

Barry

Thanks Jack,

It is a little complicated as the model will be positioned at +/- 90 degrees roll slightly nose up. In theory it will be posed rolling in on the target and I want to make sure the "unbalance" position will remain as posed. :)

Barry

Photos of selected subject.

First two are inservice in S.E.A. third is restored in the USAF Museum

On the job.

F-100F_FAC_aircraft_over_Vietnam_1968_zp

Battle damage?

F-100F_FAC_officers_at_Phu_Cat_1968_zpsd

A well deserved rest!!

090609-F-1234K-001_zpsc0612cf7.jpeg

Cleaning up the intake ducting.

Cheers,

Barry

Looks like a great solution Barry!  I am really looking forward to seeing your progress on this project.  :)  I LOVE your F-8 but some how this F-100 even slightly surpasses that one. just barely..I dunno can I  have two favorites?  :)

All the best to you and your build

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of an update but I have been making progress on the cockpits. I am using 2 of Harold's cockpits (blemished) he graciously donated as they were unsalable. I had to reposition the side consoles The angle does not match photos neither do the Aires set or the kit's. They need to be set at a greater angle and removing all that resin to get them loose was a major pain! I have resin bits and dust everywhere (yes I wear a respirator) but the clean up was considerable. I finally got smart an rigged up the vacuum cleaner where the hose hung just at where I was grinding and it helped a lot in controlling the dust and bits. :doh:

I should have some pics by this time next week if not sooner.

Cheers,

Barry

Not much of an update but I have been making progress on the cockpits. I am using 2 of Harold's cockpits (blemished) he graciously donated as they were unsalable. I had to reposition the side consoles The angle does not match photos neither do the Aires set or the kit's. They need to be set at a greater angle and removing all that resin to get them loose was a major pain! I have resin bits and dust everywhere (yes I wear a respirator) but the clean up was considerable. I finally got smart an rigged up the vacuum cleaner where the hose hung just at where I was grinding and it helped a lot in controlling the dust and bits. :doh:

I should have some pics by this time next week if not sooner.

Cheers,

Barry

Recently, my brother was helping clean up around here. I accidentally hooked up the vacuum hose to the discharge end, and was shocked to see him happily blowing dirt all over the place.

Now that I have recoved  from my resin "dust storm" as noted in the previous post; here are initial cockpit shots, still a long way to go!

Main pieces temporarily installed to see how it all fits and looks. All items are AMS Resin with the exception of the kit IP in the aft position. I think it's about right; open for comments and suggestions.

I am still in need of a photo or two of the canopy locking mechanism (between fwd set and aft IP). I need a view of what it looks like on top of the cross brace structure preferably a view from above looking down. A shot thru the canopy with it closed and locked would be AWESOME as that is how it will be view on the model.

P6281581_zps88f96fa2.jpg

P6281583_zps5203fcf0.jpg

P6281585_zpsb71b400f.jpg

P6281586_zpsefbcfd44.jpg

P6281587_zps85059196.jpg

TAFN,

Barry

Very Nice Barry!  Its almost a shame to have all of that beautiful detail closed up but with the large canopy even with pilots installed you should still be able to see a good deal of it.

Looking forward to more soon!

Paul 

First Thank you to Teresa, Jack ,Paul, Paul S. and Kai for your kind words!!!!!

Welcome to the “butcher shopâ€!

P6291607_zps995a0548.jpg

I started by removing the side consoles so that they can be reset to more closely match the angle in cockpits photos. I am uncertain of the actual angle so it is a Mk I eyeball location.

Before the "butchery" begins :hmmm:

P6291588_zps4167f284.jpg

I started the undercut by sawing along the underside of the console using the existing angle as reference. I then used my trusty “Mission Models Micro-Chisel “as a scraper and along with several Xacto knives I scraped and carved my way to just short of breaking through the inner wall of the tub. I took special care to preserve the air path holes along the edge of the console pieces to be removed.

P6291592_zpsedb44def.jpg

After removal of all detail on the bulkhead the tub ready for "rebuilding" :o

P6291597_zps99f2f110.jpg

I temporarily reattached the console pieces to test fit the tub to fuselage. I also added the small angle pieces on either side of the upper armor plate extension.

P6291598_zps34f89d6b.jpg

I built replacement seat rails from styrene “H†beam and sheet :beer:

P6291602_zps264c2e69.jpg

Now for the Aft Cockpit; don't you just love "two holers"? :DodgeBall:

Barry

Edited by Barry

It appears that the rear section of the console should be parallel to the deck. The Aires set has them kicked up toward the rear. Since the one I was tinkering with, is based on the Aires tub, it has the same issue.

The way I was planning on doing it was just replace the deck to match the rear console and use my seats. They are a bit shorter than the Aires version. It would look a bit more correct even if it has a slight angle up at the rear.