F-100F, Fast FAC, "Misty FAC": Updated 9/1

Barry

A short up date.

Started working on the aft fuselage section and found more BAD Quality Control meaning none.

Panel detail missing on left side but present on right.

P5281520_zps99333bfe.jpg

Added missing panel detail (scribing). Its not all that pretty but it will have to do.

P5291523_zps463785df.jpg

Closed off fixed stabilized mounting slots and pins to accommodate positionable stabs for my need.

P5291525_zpsa1e7323c.jpg

Note also in the above picture as well as this that the slots for the rudder hinges are missing from the LH Fuselage section. The person doing the mold on the left was not on his game!

P5291531_zps58981f98.jpg

Stabilizer have been fitted with a joining brass rod inside a brass tube. Once fuselage halves are joined I will be able to position and mount stabs as needed.

P5291528_zps8fe0fc46.jpg

TAFN,

Barry

Guest Peterpools

Barry

Nice work on correcting the kit's oversights. It's easy to see there most likely was no QC when the Hun's molds were made.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

John,

I could not agree more however if you want a modern jet with recessed panel lines and its not a Phantom, Eagle, Falcon, Hornet or a Saber (I may have missed one) your pretty much stuck with Trumpeter's less than stellar kits.

NO I am NOT bashing Trumpeter just stating the facts. I own just about every modern jet in Trumpeters line up! They just require a LOT of attention to detail to make up for their lack there of. I will be the first to admit that overall their quality has improved and the F-100 was one of their early efforts.

Barry

Um, actually  the "slot" is on one side.

It is only on the port side.

At least in all the photos I have. I am limited on the F though.

This a a photo of a C....photo by Bill Spidle

413b3791-ea26-4746-9d4e-658f876445d3_zpsPh

Edited by Harold

Well I'll just be dipped in S#!t; at this point I will retract only a small portion of my "Quality Control" comments. :oops:

It will be a lot easier to fill it in than it was to scribe... :doh:

Harold,

What was the purpose of the groove/trough; should there be an exit on the lower fuselage?

Do you have any good photos of the aft area of the canopy frame and the rear deck of canopy frame?

Barry

Well I'll just be dipped in S#!t; at this point I will retract only a small portion of my "Quality Control" comments. :oops:

It will be a lot easier to fill it in than it was to scribe... :doh:

Harold,

What was the purpose of the groove/trough; should there be an exit on the lower fuselage?

Do you have any good photos of the aft area of the canopy frame and the rear deck of canopy frame?

Barry

Drag chute cable.

I have photos.....I will invite you to the drop box folder. 

Invite sent.

It is the miscellaneous folder with photos, drawings and some odd F-100 drop tanks.

Edited by Harold

happens to all of us that they "correct" something that is represented accurately on the kit. makes me think of my intruder intakes... i eleminated the lip inside because "stupid trumpeter" got it wrong. but its there on the real thing...oh well

Live and learn. I would have made the same mistake. Trumpeter with all thier faults etc do give us something to start with and I would much rather prefer what we have now than the only choice being a vacform kit. Still they do make some stupid errors though and I wish they would stop the open every panel option on a kit. I'm getting tired of closing them up everytime! Those parachute bridle flaps on the F-100 would sure look good made using some cut to fit lead foil panels! Can't wait to see more of your F-100F.

Those parachute bridle flaps on the F-100 would sure look good made using some cut to fit lead foil panels! Can't wait to see more of your F-100F.

I was contemplating doing the "flaps" that cover the chute release cable. I thought Eduard included them in their "exterior" set. :hmmm:

Just checked the answer to the Eduard question is no. :( I think I will leave well enough alone and not add another task to the build.

I am trying to close down the exhaust nozzle to Mil. Power position as it is molded in the near full open for the kit part and the beautiful Aires nozzle is molded in the After Burner (full open) position.

More to come!

Edited by Barry

happens to all of us that they "correct" something that is represented accurately on the kit. makes me think of my intruder intakes... i eleminated the lip inside because "stupid trumpeter" got it wrong. but its there on the real thing...oh well

I made "seamless" intakes for the 1/48 scale version some time ago. I was flamed on another site for not having a full seamless trunking (like another caster did).

I sent photos of the real thing and explained why mine were made the same way as the factory made them.

The fires went out real quick.  Too funny sometimes.

Live and learn. I would have made the same mistake. Trumpeter with all thier faults etc do give us something to start with and I would much rather prefer what we have now than the only choice being a vacform kit. Still they do make some stupid errors though and I wish they would stop the open every panel option on a kit. I'm getting tired of closing them up everytime! Those parachute bridle flaps on the F-100 would sure look good made using some cut to fit lead foil panels! Can't wait to see more of your F-100F.

I agree about all the open panels. What happened to the old technique of cutting a groove on the INSIDE of panels, giving the modeler an option of leaving them closed or cutting them out? It seems to me that would also be a cost cutting result as well.

I am trying to close down the exhaust nozzle to Mil. Power position as it is molded in the near full open for the kit part and the beautiful Aires nozzle is molded in the After Burner (full open) position.

Well I spent the "entire" day Saturday coming up with a workable plan to make a "closed" nozzle. I am afraid that it will take a considerable amount of time to accomplish to the level of detail needed. I do not wish to get bogged down and loose interest so I have opted to used the Aires nozzle in the "full open" position. It will give me a nicely detail nozzled though not what I really wanted.

;)

A short update; I have been busy working out how to mount model. It has taken a little while to get it all sorted out but I think it will work nicely. allows me to easly remove the model from the display and reposition the flight attitude if needed.

Diagram of what it all looks like (more or less).

Display_Mount_Plan_M_zpsb77c3452.png

The key pieces; what you can not see is the styrene disk inside the engine exhaust section that distributes the load into the fuselage/engine mounts. I chucked the exhaust bullet into my Sherline and bored it out to hold the ¼†deepwell socket.

It is held in place via the .250†Styrene tube attached to the back of the engine face and inserted into the square drive end of the socket.

P6081532_zpscf8d655b.jpg

Assembled pieces that will be hidden once inserted into engine and exhaust/burner duct.

P6081535_zps02f002f4.jpg

Close up of the Hex drive key/socket and the deepwell socket inserted into the bored out exhaust bullet.

P6081536_zps1f8c339b.jpg

Assembled pieces before the exhaust/burned duct and reinforcement sleeve is attached.

P6081540_zps0a529a73.jpg

What it all looks like assembled; rubber bands and tape will go away.

P6081541_zps3777a27c.jpg

I had to solve this piece of the puzzle before I could move forward with the cockpits and closing up the forward fuselage.

Cockpits are next big hurdle!

Still searching for that elusive photo of the canopy area behind the aft ejection seat. Only what is seen with the canopy closed.

You folks keep up the inspirational work; there are some really great builds going on in this GB!!!!!

TAFN,

Barry