Trumpeter Su27 - project resurrected...

Iain

Nice one Iain!!

I am a massive fan of the '27. I have the kit, Northstar exhausts and the Begemot Stencil Decals for it.

Question... My kit is a late version, so has the Trumpeter updated intakes and nose. I have never been able to find the answers to these two questions... Does the Eduard set for the intakes fit the later kit parts, and secondly, do I still need the Zacto parts, as I believe trumpeter copied his parts in their update??

Hiya Nige - don't know I'm afraid!

Mines an early boxing - so shapes all out - hence nose extension also. I believe the revised intakes from Trumpeter are very close to Zactoman's sets in terms of shape (I'll leave it to Chris to pick that ball up if he wants) - but I doubt they have the surface finesse of the Zacto parts. Whether it's worth the money to get the Zacto set for the later toolings I'm not qualified to comment really...

Compressor faces - satin black primer - Alclad Chrome - should look passable at the back of the trunking. Still to be polished with soft cloth:

IMG_4680_1.jpg

Internal joints sanded and primed - some very minor tweaking required - but almost done:

IMG_4681_1.jpg

IMG_4682_1.jpg

Belly sections of airframe cut out ready to accept the Zacto parts - as with my He219 this has involved taking several steps backwards as I'd bonded the kit intakes in place - with Plastic Weld and thin superglue for good measure - so not cleaned up too badly in the end:

IMG_4683_1.jpg

Zacto parts loosely placed - progress at last!!

IMG_4684_1.jpg

Area ahead of canopy - IRST ball fairing removed and prepping area for Zacto canopy:

IMG_4685_1.jpg

More soon...

Iain

Back working on intakes - the Zacto parts are superb - doing the aircraft parked - engines off - so FOD guards in down position (Zacto provides alternate parts) - fit is superb!!!

Back to Nige's question above regarding the retooled Trumpeter parts v. Zacto - see here for photo comparisons.

Just researching colours - would like to get them painted and fitted!!

EDIT: Looks like light grey + grime will just about cover it  :)

Have fun!

Iain

Area ahead of canopy - IRST ball fairing removed and prepping area for Zacto canopy:

IMG_4685_1.jpg

Hey Iain - How did you remove the fairing area?  Also, have you cut the vacuform canopy out yet?  If not, would you mind posting some pics of how you do it?  I just got my canopy set and am pretty nervous about that canopy....

thanks,

Stu

Edited by LSP_Kevin

EDIT: Looks like light grey + grime will just about cover it  :)

Iain

Hi Iain, the internal colour of the intakes was something I stumbled on when I was building my Flanker. Back then, the general feeling was bare steel with a transparent yellow anti-corrosion coating.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=46334&st=461

You're right about the grime. LInes on the intake trunking walls can be seen on many reference photos where the inlet guards slide. Also, there is often a dirt mark around the opening where the removal FOD guards are pushed into the mouth of the intake.

Good to see you back on this one and making stellar progress once again. Keep it up.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

Cooooooooooooool!

Nice to see this one back at the bench Iain.............................

Better get some of those NorthStar exhaust nozzles!

.........................or if your so inclined there just happens to be some of the Pitz cans I used on mine are available in our very own forums ATM:

Pitz Models SU-27 exhaust cans

BTW, although they were a PITA to assemble (Ive heard that the NorthStar ones are easier but cant confirm that), they took my build way over the top.................VERY much worth the money VS how they turned out looking on the model itself.