Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

fozzy

Understand SD...and thanks Peter and J

I decided not to put the cheek guns in place at the moment....they would only get in the way and might break off when I am constructing the cockpit..........talking of which......................

nb005_zps188a959d.jpg

Oh deary deary me (well actually I didn't say quite that!!!! :blowup: )

I started to do the cockpit ceiling detail when I realized that the whole thing was far too thick.....hence the photo!......working on it now to try and correct it all....I'll get back to you all in about a year!!! :unsure: ....

Great job on the guns.  I know how much work goes into them.  I converted a 1/6 DML M2 Heavy to an aircraft variant along with the mount.  It takes a lot of work to make it look right.  Your paint looks great, just like the real thing.

Great job on the guns.  I know how much work goes into them.  I converted a 1/6 DML M2 Heavy to an aircraft variant along with the mount.  It takes a lot of work to make it look right.  Your paint looks great, just like the real thing.

Thanks a lot Mark...and your right ...a lot of work does go int them!! :whistle:

A very quick update............

Just to show the correction work I had to do in the cockpit to be certain all the bits and pieces will fit!......It just didn't look right sad.png

...the whole cockpit area was too small in width and the ceiling was the wrong shape!....I managed to rip off all the cockpit sides and shift them about 5 mm either side to get the width...and a lot of sanding on the Balsa wood got the ceiling looking a lot better....I guess I had to take a few steps backwards but glad I did because it looks a whole lot better now! smile.png

Here are the scars of the adjustment!!!...............

improvingcockpitstructure1_zpsf2f0173c.j

improvingcockpitstructure2_zpsce48ef46.j

improvingcockpitstructure_zps55079223.jp

I have just touched up with paint the fixed areas and when its all dry I can start on the cockpit detail.

Until then

Cheers

Fozzy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there

Here is my next update.

Cockpit detailing

I thought I would start at the top and work down. There is a mega amount of detail that I am going to attempt to put into the cockpit and I know that a lot of it will never be seen!! :( ...like all the other detail I have put into this build so far!!....but at the end of the day I have enjoyed the challenge of the modelling on this project ..so that's the main thing.....and by choosing this subject for a scratch build I knew it would be like this anyway.

So for an update I have scratch built all the transmitter boxes that are just above the pilot and co pilot.

Here are a few photos......................

kr003_zps49230c08.jpg

h003_zps32692295.jpg

h002_zpse61760b3.jpg

hs002_zpsa6967f68.jpg

n009_zpsa9b81485.jpg

At the moment I am waiting for some paint to dry before I take some photos of all the assembled parts fixed onto the cockpit ceiling.

I have also got to wire the whole thing up ...so I will post the finished section later today.....

Cheers for looking in

Fozzy

Edited by fozzy

Ok...so a few hours have passed and the paint has dried!.

The wiring up of the boxes was a bit of a pain but I am happy with the end result!

What do you think?....................................

a001_zps053d6040.jpg

a018_zps4c5b44a7.jpg

a016_zps5d8aa6b4.jpg

a008_zpsc2c47a09.jpg

a004_zps78f706b7.jpg

...So now I will move down towards the instrument panel.

More to come soon :)

Fozzy

Can you please show us your shrink ray? This has to be a real B-17 you're just shrinking down in a lab somewhere. Looks absolutely incredible.

Matt  :frantic:

Thanks Matt!....if only it was that easy!! ;)

Hi there

I managed to almost finish the IP....when I say nearly finished...I mean there is another small panel that is fixed to the right hand side of the main panel which holds the controls for the carburetor air cleaner and engine fire extinguishers..this I will attempt to build next.

So here was my method of making the IP................

Instrument panel

1. First I got a drawing of the IP off the internet and resized it to 1:20 scale................

n001_zps20129d9c.jpg

2. I then cut out the dials individually because the shape of my IP wasn't quite right!! blush.png ....never mind eh?!!! and glued them onto a cut piece of plastic in the shape of the IP............

n003_zps9eded35d.jpg

3. I then cut another piece of plastic to the same shape of the IP and drilled out holes where the instruments are positioned.......

d003_zps5a04e268.jpg

4. The next job was to cover the instruments with the thinnest clear food packaging I could find in my kitchen bin!!...this of course acts as the glass! wink.png

d004_zpsea21c607.jpg

5. I then glued the pre cut panel over the other panel with the instruments on................

t001_zpsd578449c.jpg

6. With the use of bits of plastic and wire I then glued all the knobs /buttons and bits and bobs onto the IP!!!..............

garden002_zps5257086f.jpg

7. Applied some black paint.............

k001_zpsc8be532b.jpg

8. Then I finished painting all the appropriate bits...............

w003_zpsfd927487.jpg

9. ..............and finally glued the panel into the Cockpit....here are a couple of pics........

h001_zps44002623.jpg

h012_zpse99e906c.jpg

It took me 3 odd days but I'm happy with the end result.

On with that other small panel now

Thanks for looking in smile.png

Fozzy