Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

fozzy

Oh boy!!  Seeing this was here when I checked is like getting the latest Superman comic in the mail.  I'm always glad to see when your latest post gets here.  The machine guns look fantastic.  I can tell how you did them and I may even throw my kit guns away and start scratch building them.  I'm going to see if I can make them out of brass and do some fancy soldering.  More than likely, I'll become overwhelmed by the task and make them out of styrene.  

Oh boy!!  Seeing this was here when I checked is like getting the latest Superman comic in the mail.  I'm always glad to see when your latest post gets here.  The machine guns look fantastic.  I can tell how you did them and I may even throw my kit guns away and start scratch building them.  I'm going to see if I can make them out of brass and do some fancy soldering.  More than likely, I'll become overwhelmed by the task and make them out of styrene.  

Go for it SD...I am useless at soldering so I'll stick with what I know ! ;)

looking great fozzy!  those cheek gun positions are pesky blighters ;-)

Please do not take this the wrong way, but the barrels look a little short to me...

Hi Rich.....I really don't take it the wrong way at all mate....just dont plan any visits to Bulgaria any time soon!!! :wicked: ......you might be right how ever ....unless its the camera lying!....I will study a few more photos and try to scale it up as a check.....not easy with photos though :( .....oh and by the way....."pesky blighters" is not the word I would use for those chuffing cheek gun positions!.... :angry2:

Edited by fozzy

Hi all

Well a few days have gone by and most of that time was spent plastering the front of my house ready for painting :( ......but I did find time to continue with this build :)

I decided to fix some of the windows before finishing of the cheek guns. I have also fixed the astrodome perspex.......here they are.......................

IO008_zps3e20525a.jpg

IO010_zps60e54955.jpg

IO006_zps58d6d9fe.jpg

IO003_zps32e39830.jpg

IO005_zpse90a08a1.jpg

Looking at these photo's reminds me that I have a shed load of work to do on the fuselage skin....ie...filling gaps/rubbing down areas etc ! :unsure: .......but that all comes later.

Next up is to finish off the guns and install them in the windows.

Cheers for looking in ;)

Hi chaps

Today somebody on another web site suggested that maybe I should explain my techniques by writing a book of some sorts...well I replied that lack of time at the moment made it impossible but it kind of fired me up to try to explain .....(just for this post)....the techniques I use when trying to put something together.

Its not rocket science and I am sure many of you "scratch builders" do exactly the same as I do ...or similar ....but for those of you who have never even attempted a bit of scratch building ..this is for you.....apologies to everyone who know how to do this.

Making the Gun support frames for the cheek guns.

So in my last post I made the 50 caliber guns for the cheek position on this build...all that I have to do now is make the frame it sits in.....so to start I decided to choose the materials to use to make it.......that is very simple for me as I use the same materials most of the time....scrap plastic ...electrical wire...and a lot of glue!!!

This first photo shows most of the parts I will use ....some of the pieces I have already cut to shape.

partsforthegunmount_zpsa5f5d97a.jpg

I might add at this time that I have many photos of the gun frame on my computer screen beside me for reference and its just a case of looking at the photo's and down scaling the parts to fit my gun frame.......I try to imagine an exploded diagram of what I am trying to scratch...and start with the bulk of the subject and then attach parts to it.

Time and patients are required for any scratch building as you can see in this next photo of the gun sight .This took some time but with practice (like anything) it becomes easier each time you do it....all it is ..is a length of copper wire (the right thickness is essential)..........

gunsight_zps24211ddd.jpg

So I have already made the Gun so its time to attach the pre prepared parts to it ....time to get the super glue out!!! wink.png

Here are a few photos with all the parts on....each gun took an afternoon to complete....so we are talking about 2 1/2 days to complete.....see what I mean about patients? ohmy.png

partsassembled_zpsc99bb8a4.jpg

partsassembled3_zpse4f56ab8.jpg

partsassembled4_zps39d917e7.jpg

partsassembled6_zps2b411a10.jpg

partsassembled5_zps63c69335.jpg

partsassembled2_zpscda301c7.jpg

partsassembled1_zps674c95e8.jpg

Too be continued.........................

So now all we have to do is paint it.

Now personally I think this is the most important part!!

Painting

1. First I paint the entire piece the appropriate colours.....I personally use enamel paints.. always have done and always will.

2. I now seal the paint with a lacquer of sorts..( I use Johnson Klear....yes I know you cant get hold of it any more ...its because I

have bought the whole stock up !! ;) )

3. I then dry brush a silver paint on to highlight the detail....white is also really good for that job!

4. Next up I give the whole thing a wash in Turpentine (you must leave the painted part over night before doing this else all your paint will strip!!)....and then apply oil paints (just a wash...not too much...be subtle!!!)....I usually use black /burnt umber...this method will bring your scratch build part to life.

5. Finally I give certain areas another dry brush with a silver paint.

Now this seems a lot of work but I think if you don't do this .(well some of the things I have suggested!)...then the piece you are trying to portray just seems............flat .........for want of a better word!....

Here's the finished frame..............

completedgunsintheirmounts2_zps6f1c11f6.

completedgunsintheirmounts3_zps811cb4c6.

completedgunsintheirmounts_zpse0041314.j

completedgunsintheirmounts1_zpsee05124d.

completedgunsintheirmounts4_zps5a076216.

completedgunsintheirmounts5_zps465e00a4.

completedgunsintheirmounts9_zps39089c3b.

completedgunsintheirmounts8_zps77720677.

completedgunsintheirmounts6_zps6a1f882a.

completedgunsintheirmounts7_zpsfb3eb957.

So there you go!

I do hope you haven't found this post too pretentious unsure.png ...I just like to share ideas ...that's all.

That's it for today. Next up I will place the guns in their positions and wire them up!!

Thanks for looking in chaps smile.png

Fozzy

The guns look amazing, Martin.  I watched Memphis Belle a couple of times this weekend and your work looks spot on real.  I'm wondering about remaking my own also out of brass but I'll have to experiment first to see if I can get a decent result at 1/32 scale.  

The guns look amazing, Martin.  I watched Memphis Belle a couple of times this weekend and your work looks spot on real.  I'm wondering about remaking my own also out of brass but I'll have to experiment first to see if I can get a decent result at 1/32 scale.  

Thanks SD ....but why brass?...its so much easier and cheaper to make them like I have....plain ,simple ,plastic sprue! ;)