G-Factor Ju-88 Landing Gear

scvrobeson

wow - those masters look brilliant, and unfortunately nothing like the G-Factor set I recently bought for my Ju188. I hadn't really examined them until now, I assumed they were the cast bronze high quality ones I had seen pics of, but alas no....needless to say thats a bit dissappointing.. I pretty much always do my own detailing but convinced myself these were worth going for :hmmm:

..as for new sets, I do know the Revell Beaufighter needs a lot of help (as I scratched these), but not sure if there are enough kits around to make it worth the effort

Peter

Peter & James

I am going to put together my review of the current Ju88 gear with photos,  Then I will have a how to on what I did to strengthen the kit gear.  For the most part the main part of the kit gear is pretty stout.  Like I said earlier in the thread, it has 3 basic weak spots and needs shortening.  The gear that I just modified on y kit are more than stout enough for about any amount of reasonable weight and the fixes were fairly easy.

Yup! Look just like my set.  My set was a fail on so many points that it was an automatic to fix the kit parts.

In fact it made me so leary of aftermarket metal gear that I passed on the Eduard set for the Revell Bf109 G6 kit.  Bought the Eduard engine and pit sets and they are PHENOMINAL!!!!!!  But have now a bad taste about metal landing gear and it is across the board I guess.

Edited by Heavens Eagle

Updating the gear request list:

1. Ju-88

2. Me-110

3. He-111

4. Bristol Beaufighter

5.????

Keep the ideas coming....

Pity the new Ju 88 legs are crepe; I could use two sets of the original quality! Hope that may be "revisited".

F-4 Phantom II for Tamiya. There are some corrections and additions which need to be made to render the legs more accurate.

Tony

Whilst I feel bad poo-poohing the suggestions of others, I have to question the commercial sense behind making Beaufighter landing gear.

The kit is ancient, and I don't think I have ever seen one built?!

That would be a waste of your time and a commercial failure.

I would concentrate on modern kits that need them eg He111 Me110, and I would definitely get in there quick on the Do335

Revell Spitfire if you can beat Eduard?? (I am assuming that their 109 gear is the first of many?)

For older kits, I would do P-47 for both Hasegawa and Trumpeter; neither without fault, but essentially decent kits

And I know the Trumpeter gear is meant to be waaay wrong (too short?) so would cry out for some decent metal gear

Don't know anything about jets, but would like some for Trumpeter's (yes highly flawed) EE Lightning

I think I will buy a set of the Ju88 legs from Hannants and if they are pants I will send them back as not being fit for purpose

This weekend I went and looked at a couple of my reference photos and found quite a bit more little detail to add to the kit gear legs.  Most of the changes were around the bases of the torque links on the strut.  One of the photos from the Norway resto and another photo where a ground crew is replacing a blown tire were quite illuminating.  Thus I ended up working on the gear instead of an internet post.  It is still in the works, just taking a back burner to the actual building.