Arado E-377, Cammett kit - He-162 in progress

dutik

Added the green and peeled the masks off:

cammett0023beq8h.jpg

cammett0024z3p4t.jpg

Missed a few spots where the colours meet. Will fix this. Why are there unpainted areas? Well, the rudder and lower surfaces are light bluu, but there is not a much of tonal difference between this and the light grey primer.

As for the upper wings...

... will add something special. You know what from the wing paneels were made?  :coolio: And not to forget some metallics for the paneel above the engine.

And a dryfit to the undercarriage:

cammett0025xtpbd.jpg

Riding high, indeed!

- dutik

Added Uschivonderosten woodgrain decals:

cammett0026hlkdl.jpg

Started same from below (still under construction). The Uschi decals are transparent and have a nice printed woodgrain pattern. So paint the underlying areas first in an appropriate colour, or colours, if you have different wood paneels, before adding the decal. The bag contains two different woodgrain sheets, a yellowish-brown and a yellowish-grey pattern. The decals are very thin. Take care during application to avoid damage! They don't stick well. I had to use the red Mikroset bottle to fix them at the model surface. Some minor damage occured while I trimmed the decals in place. Will fix this with some paint.

How about the engine paneels? Paint them RLM 02 or some metallics?

Note: Want to add some "brush-painted" green camo lines at last.

Regards

- dutik

Arrrghhhh!!!! $hit happens!

Those POS woodgrain decals peeled off. First a little piece below the wing during handling. Repainted the defect and added some more runs of Mikro red solution onto; followed by some gerous applications of matt varnish.

Upper wing was sealed before and could be handled without problems. But the decals peeled off when I applied some yellow Tamiya tape to mask for some further painting... :tumble:

Oh yessss! :deadhorse:

OK, will buy another set of decals and try it again. But if some more decals start to come off I will paint it over to get the build finished...

Mark the brand in your books: Uschi van der Osten decals. You have been warned now!

- dutik

Edited by dutik

It isn't the decals' fault. Never, EVER try to tape over decals.Some claim that it is possible with extremely low-tack masking materials, but it is still best to make sure all masking and painting is done prior to the application of any decals.

Best of luck with fixing the damage. :)

D

This is what we have now:

cammett0027nzxbd.jpg

Meanwhile applying metallics (True Earth brand) to the engine paneels. Just need some more layers painted on. Yes, brush painted. These metallics are not solid, but some kind of wash or filter. Apply as often as needed till desired effect achieved, ranging from "slight metallic sheen" to "solid metal plate". We shall see how it will look when I am ready.

- dutik

OK, metallics were painted. Will check the results next day. Also found a remnant of the decals, large enough to cover a full paneel. Maybe even two. We shall see.

Regards

- dutik

Coming closer to finish lower and middle "stages" of the Mistel (the He-162 to follow somewhat later). I will base the whole construction at a wooden base. It is heavy and has some struts prone to breaking off during handling, so it will be based (screwed, to be correct) on a large wooden base.

This rises an important question:

Would a nice (brown) wood base look better or some kind of groundwork, aka soil, grass, planks?

Poll!

Your vote counts!

Regards

- dutik