Arado E-377, Cammett kit - He-162 in progress

dutik

Back from the exhibition I started drilling holes into the wooden base. Want to use screws to secure the kit at the base because it has a reasonable weight and height. Should make the handling of the whole build somewhat more easy.

The model itself had a smooth journey. No problems at all, no damage.

Regards

- dutik

• 6 months later...

Started the making of the groundwork:

cammett0031pcs8e.jpg

First two slabs of concrete, made from different cardboard. Second I painted the wooden surface with some Tamiya paint, to remove the wooden look. Now adding the grass. It is a jigsaw made of two different grassmats made by Polak from Czech. Had to remove some parts that didn't bond or looked odd. There are still some small gaps here and there, beside the obvious large ones. They will be filled with some small plans and pebbles. The "parking lanes" will be made of some earth and "pressed down" grass.

Thats it for the moment.

Regards

- dutik

I agree that the diorama type base - nothing too fancy or involved - will make for a far better display than just a wooden plynth.

The different types of grass also look good - there are often such varying patches in rough field where drainage isn't even.

And the plane itself looks da bomb (sorry). It must be a big beast with the 162 up top. 

More groundwork.

cammett31ldl1q.jpg

The grassmat was to tall to place the U/C cart, so I added some wooden strips. Drilled holes from below and added screws to hold the model. 2 for each main gear wheel and one in front.

Close-up:

cammett32g6l4w.jpg

Cut off some of the wooden base when trimming the glued on grass mat. This happens when working with tungsten blades. So some touch-ups the next days, drilling holes into the U/C wheels and adding the cart to the base. Not to forget to dust the concrete pads, indeed.

Enjoy

- dutik

Groundwork ready.

cammett34oaszz.jpg

cammett35qws77.jpg

Altered the color and blended in the parts of both the meadow and the concrete with brushed on pigments. A bit of dark brown, different sand/grey/dust tones. The cart was srewed on. No glue, just a screw for each wheel.

Detail view:

cammett36b8seo.jpg

Final step is to hide the clear areas at the wheel base. Some gizmos or equipment (ladders, anybody?) might follow in the future, with the guiding plane in place, but thats it for now.

Test fit of the missle:

cammett332rs1z.jpg

Enjoy!

- dutik

Sidenote:

Modelling exhibition in Luebeck is this year from April 23.-24. Just join us (and have an IRL look at that build too) :hi:

Guess I'll take this one with me, my V-1, the RQ-7B and the T-34 turret dioramas and some tanks (KV-5, T-24, "Tiger"-Patton, and the St. Chamond wip).

I am not at the exhibition table this year. I am running this year a side event somewhere else in the building with my braille scale tank army, giving demos for a tabletop game named "Cold War Commander".

See you in Luebeck!

- dutik

Short notice:

Restored the wood decals at the right wing. Tried to add wood decal into the clear space of the left wing paneel, but the line between the two pieces remained visible all to well. Hadn't a patch large enough to cover the full length, so I removed the decal. Will paint the left wing (the lighter green, I guess), but there is a scratch at the paneel that needs to be filled and sanded before.

Thats it for the moment.

- dutik

Looks ok now:

cammett38qusnk.jpg

Lost small pieces of wood decal below the wings and restored them with some painting. The wood decals look very nice, indeed, but they are flimsy like hell. Never again. Next time I need wooden paneels I'll paint them!

Applied matt varnish all around. Will add paneel lining the next days. AK (or was it Mig?) paneel liner.

Regards!

- dutik

Edited by dutik

Finished the darklining (except one spot that I missed...). Results were not as clear as intended, especially at the light blue sreas, so I repaired this with some paint as well as an application of "Japanese grey" filter. Well, this is some kind of lightblue/lightgrey (depends if you use the thinner content from top or a full load of pigment from the bottom of the bottle) and my "Uber-weapon" to fix happy accidents like this... :whistle:

cammett39mla9w.jpg

Tomorrow I will add some "field applied mottling" at sides and to dull down the clear metal paneels on top. After a final coat of varnish we are ready to glue it on top of the carriage :)

Regards

- dutik

Mottles are painted. Well, doesn't look as nice as expected. The "clean" look was better :tumble:

cammett40iwzvq.jpg

Maybe I shall rub off some of the mottles around the wing inspection hatches. Just for effect.

Painted the mottles with the lighter green, but they didn't show. Added some RLM02. Better, but Xtracrylix RLM02 is just grey, without that distinctive yellowish "chromat" look. Then put some "interior green" on top of the mottles - much better. But I think I should add some of the underlying color again to make the mottles more "translucent". Will check this.

When the mottles are done there will be just another coat of varnish and we are ready :coolio:

- dutik