IAF F-16I SUFA UPDATE: 5/17/14: PAINTING AND CAMMO

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Scotsman

Thank you for the info and tip ... it surely will come in handy. Sorry to read that you are going to be stripping your Sufa down to bare plastic and giving it another go for the finish. It;s a lot of work but in the end, you'll be satisfied with the finish and won't have to settle. I just finished that on my Mustang build - Duchess Arlene. It was a ton of work but when I was done, my Mustang was at the level I wanted.

Good luck with the re=do

Peter

Guest Peterpools

S  Thanks.

Nope, not giving up just delegated a lot of time to the Sabre. Earlier today, I peeled off all the Tamiya tape and  so far, everything has held together. I'll start cleaning up the seams tonight and start working on the wings and tail-feathers. I've also been working on and off on a 48th scale F-80, strictly OOB. I'm amazed how fast progress is when you're not banging your head against the wall.

Of course, I have my huge Tomcat project looming on the horizon and and once that's underway by mid summer, I'm willing to bet, it will take the rest of the year to complete.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Gary

Slow but steady and the work-a-round seems to have done the trick, as the fuselage halves are snug and tight. Sanding and filling seems right now

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Much appreciated and I'm looking forward to you digging into a flame through after the 190.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Carl, Much appreciated and I wish I could take the credit for the P&W compressor fan but Gary (ghatherly) pointed it out . So far, if it wasn't for my own 'blunder' the kit would have been a nice, fun and relaxing build.  Hopefully, it will pick up steam and get back on the fun track from here on in. How are you finding your Viper?

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE 3/8/14: COMING TOGETHER

A lot of time was needed to take care of a few nasty seams and gaps, all resulting from my installing the Wolfpack cockpit tub incorrectly. The vertical stabilizer was tweaked, glued into place without any fuss and the wings are being tweaked as well so they can be added. Right about now, she is finally starting to look like an IAF Sufa at last. Once the wings are glued into place and a final wet sand of the dorsal spine cleans up any missed spots, it's time to start addressing all the small plastic and PE parts I was sidelining for fear of breaking off during basic construction. Add the rear canopy, mask the wheel wells and I might be ready for priming. Wonders never cease!

As I work on the Sufa, she is starting to grow and photographing the model is becoming harder and harder. Looks like I'll need to up the focal length and back off to gain some working room. See what happens for the next round.

One BIG lesson learned: I need to work on just one project at a time and not rush it or else you pay the price.

Thanks for checking in

Enjoy

Peter

PCW_4692_zpscc65d823.jpg

PCW_4691_zps614a40a6.jpg

PCW_4689_zps32a3f3df.jpg

PCW_4690_zps59cacf66.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Florin

Much appreciated. Long way to go but now that I've paid my dues for the mess ups, I should be making more consistent progress.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

HI Justin

Much appreciate the kind words. I spent some time checking on the colors and paints for the Sufa and will be using Model Master enamels over Tamiya Fine Gray Primer. The IAF colors are the FS numbers from the Isra Decal Book: F-16I Sufa in IAF Service. The book is all color and I'm planning on matching the colors to the color photos if the MM paints are a bit off. Have you make any decisions yet on the paints and colors?

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Yes I've already purchased the paints.

MM Sand is correct

Tamiya Sky is correct

But the doodoo brown and dark grey is a tough one to match. The exact matches after hours and hours of research are from Xtracrylics. Here are the paints:

XA1102 Tan Vietnam FS10219

XA1135 Dark Compass Grey FS16320

Edited by FunkyZeit