IAF F-16I SUFA UPDATE: 5/17/14: PAINTING AND CAMMO

Guest Peterpools

Great work Peter. I was finally able to trade with a friend to get one of these cool subjects. Your doing great work on here and the WP pit looks great. In one of the pics of the painted IP...you mentioned about academy parts next to WP parts. So, did you mix the two together...using kit IP with WP pit? If so, why? I don't have the WP pit yet but I'm hoping to grab one soon. Thanks.

Mike

Guest Peterpools

Hi Mike

I've been back working on my Sufa again, alternating work sessions with the Sabre. It really is a nice kit and the fit is just a bit finicky getting the intake ducting for fit correctly. I'm finally just about finished with that portion of the build, including installing the Aires main gear well. At the start, I didn't have any intention of using the kit IP at all but after I dropped the Rio's IP and combing on the floor and commenced to accidentally roll over both ports with my chair and had no choice but to use the kit parts. I was pleasantly surprised how good they looked and fit very well onto the Wolfpack cockpit tub. So the pilot's IP and combing are from Wolfpack and the Rio's set up is from Academy. Strange, works and I lucked out!

BTW, the instructions are wrong about the front compressor/intake fan and call out for the GE fan (H1), while the Sufa uses the P&W fan (C65) also in the kit. Gary pointed out Academy's mistake and it wasn't a problem cutting out the GE fan and installing the P&W fan. IAF F-16I and F-15's use the same P&W engine.

With a bit of luck, I'll have an update maybe tomorrow as I finally made enough progress. It's a very good kit but like most kits, will surely benefit from a cockpit upgrade. This is the first time I've used Wolfpack resin sets and they are fantastic.  I have a long way to go but heartily recommend both sets of Wolfpack upgrades and the Eduard PE set as well.

Peter

I was wondering where you ran off too?

Was looking for Sabre update and found this, the Academy is a nice kit, to bad the price has gotten outasight

Actually for the first time I've had multiple projects going and started to finish 'em  YEA!    but only one thread at a time please......thank you 

I did hate that long seam around the underside of the nose.

:popcorn:  :popcorn:

Jack

Guest Peterpools

Jack

Never again .. two at a time; just way too much work for this old guy. I've been spending a ton of time trying to get the Wolfpack cockpit to fit perfectly and it's been a struggle but I think I'm finally there. The Aires gear bay is in - both CCA and epoxy for some back up as the Sufa weight is growing with all the  resin. I have her taped together and will take a few pics tonight.

The Sabre is turning into a nightmare, as the front windscreen didn't fit well at all. I normally use Kristal Klear to glue the canopies in place but this time, there were a few nasty gaps, so I filled them with Milliput. Of course, for the first time ever, the Milliput doesn't want to get rock hard.

Right with you ... these kits are getting out of hand and the prices are really making themselves felt. I've cut way back on what I buy and my Tomcat project might be my only other purchase this year plus the Fisher PT-22.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Maru

Much appreciated . just grinding away and I mean that literally trying to get the Wolfpack cockpit to fit perfectly. Hopefully, I think I'm finally there and can start thinking about gluing the fuselage together and moving on.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 3/3/14: PROGRESS IN THE SHADOWS.

Please excuse the poorly done grab shot.

While I've been working on the Sabre, I haven't ignored the Sufa and have made some healthy progress, alternating work sessions between the two.

The electronic dorsal spine went on and a host of kit antennas and ducts and were added. Fit was pretty good and some Bondo and Mr Surfacer were needed to to insure there were no gaps. Once satisfied no additional work was needed on the dorsal spine, I decided to move on rather then add all the kit and Eduard PE details, so I would have a better shot at not knocking off them off while man handling fuselage.

With the correct P&W compressor fan in place, I continued to finish up the underside assemblies, The nose intake assembly was built up, seams filled and glued into place. Lots of test fitting and tweaking was needed to allow the assembly to fit without the need of sheet plastic as a filler. Once completely dry, the Aires main gear wheel well, was tweaked and glued into place.

The front office was finished up and and glued into the upper fuselage with Loctite CCA and J-B Weld Epoxy for an extra bit of insurance as the initial test fitting didn't show any problems. The next day a major problem popped up as I getting the fuselage halves to join neatly:  the cockpit tub was out of whack! Hour after hour of filing and sanding outside in the lovely cold temps, eased the problem but just didn't eliminate it. It was driving me nuts! Finally, I stumbled on what apparently is causing the problem.There are four side wall inserts that need to be glued into the main tub to complete the assembly and I rushed it. One of the front side panel inserts didn't seat correctly and was preventing the Wolfpack cockpit tub from fully seating in place in the upper fuselage. With everything completely glued up, there was nothing I could do about it now except keep sanding the tub down to make up for my blunder. "Tomorrow" is another day and I'll see what happens. Hopefully, if this works, the problem should be solved; if not, I walk the plank!.

So it appears, yours truly is the root of the problem again. Whatever happened to just doing OOB kits at an enjoyable pace? After the Sufa and Sabre, I need a break for sure.

Next up: The wings and tail feathers.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

PCW_4688_zps4811be4f.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Build looks good Peter!! I hear you regarding OOB builds, takes a lot of the edge off of building. How did you find the panel lines on the intake assembly? On my builds I found them kinda shallow, needing rescribing.

Don

Guest Peterpools

Hi Don

Much appreciated. Totally agree about the panel lines and while I have rescribed some, others I left as is. Overall, it's a good kit but pricey. Some of the fit problems are my own doing by screwing up the Wolfpack cockpit tube and then all the work to get everything to actually fit.

Peter

Peter, much appreciate the reply and letting me know about the compressor fan mistake within the instructions. I'll sure to make a note of it. I have some of WP early sets and current/new release sets and I must say they are night and day difference. Also, your not alone when it comes to our own blunders...I'm an expert of that :D

Anyway, it coming along nice buddy!!

That looks to be a great build , I'm in the process of pain stripping my sufa , since I could Never get the paint right !

I've built a few of the Academy F-16's . and there's one trick to avoid losing detail, and causing much swearing , attach the upper wings to the upper fuselage before bring the upper and lower fuselage pieces together , you can add the lower wings later , but it means that there's more opportunity to "fettle" the wing to fuselage join, avoiding the need for filler 

Its  a pity the Academy base kit isn't quite as good as the Tamya kit, since they've sen fit to release multiple version of it , unlike Tamiya , 

Keep up the good work !

Guest Peterpools

Hi Mike

Glad to help out. Gary posted at the beginning of my build about the fan blades and kept me straight and true. Totally agree about WP - great stuff.

Thanks for checking in

Peter