IAF F-16I SUFA UPDATE: 5/17/14: PAINTING AND CAMMO

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Hi Justin

Thank you for the information. Colors are always a pain but I've been matching the paints as per my Sufa book color calls outs.

FS30219 BROWN

FS33531 SAND

FS34424 GREEN

FS36375 LIGHT GHOST GRAY

FS36270 NEUTRAL GRAY - radar dome, missile rails, antennas and sensor covers.

Israel paints are manufactured in country by Tambur paints and " FS30219 Brown is slightly more reddish in comparison to US colors. Forward sections of the CFT's are gloss FS14424 Green for aerodynamic smoothness."

I'm re-looking the whole paint /color setup to be sure.

I've never used Xtracrylic paints and need to do some checking. I'll have to see where I can purchase them in the US. I've also discovered that Vallejo Model Air and Model Color paints cover the required colors nicely and seemed to match the paint chips quite well.

I was hoping to go 100% enamels but that doesn't look possible now.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Paul. much appreciated

The Sufa sure is now getting there as I'm giving it 100% of my modeling time, as I'm just not capable of doing two models at one time. Right now, I'm working on the wings, hard points and launch rails which I want to have on before painting.

Peter

Sounds good. I went away from the fs colors in my isra book after chatting with some master painters. Fs codes will also vary with scale, after painting some on paper I'm quite convinced . Let me know what you decide

Guest Peterpools

Hi Justin

Shall do. What I'm hoping works, is to use the base Model Air colors and do some testing with them. Most likely I'll need to lighten them up as IAF seem to fade quite a bit

Peter

Brilliant work so far, Peter.

I have a question, though. I'm not really familiar with the SUFA version of the F-16 but I'm wondering about that triangular shaped gap at the base of the rudder. On F-16s Block 30/32, 40/42 and 50/52 it is definitely present only on the port side of the vertical stabilizer, not on the starboard side. Your pictures clearly show that gap on the starboard side also.

Is that a feature of the SUFA variant or did they just get it wrong on the model?

Cheers

Rainer

Guest Peterpools

Rainer

I just did a double check of the model and my Sufa book and you are 100% correct; Academy strikes again. I guess the easiest way is to fill in the one side with a bit of Millput, let it dry, sand it out and scribe the bottome of the rudder in.

Thanks for pointing out the mistake now, when I can correct it without a lot of work.

Peter

Rainer

I just did a double check of the model and my Sufa book and you are 100% correct; Academy strikes again. I guess the easiest way is to fill in the one side with a bit of Millput, let it dry, sand it out and scribe the bottome of the rudder in.

Thanks for pointing out the mistake now, when I can correct it without a lot of work.

Peter

Well, I researched that particular subject quite a bit because that mistake is repeated over and over again. No big deal, really, but you got to think about it. Glad I could help.

Cheers

Rainer

Guest Peterpools

Rainer

Thanks again for pointing it out. Just finished filling in the gap with Milliput.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Hi Peter,

Great progress on your Sufa. I'll be using Xtracrylics to paint my F-16 (when I get that far). One nice thing about them is they are gloss so no need for a gloss cost before applying decals.

I just double checked the AFV Club instructions and they have the same error identifying the P&W engine face calling for H1 as well.

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Thank you for the kind words. Amazing how the manufactures can get so many things wrong on a kit and not correct it. The biggest part of the problem is having a bse kit and then changing, adding or removing frets from the kit to offer different versions, complicating, what parts go with what kit, especially if they share a common fret.

I would really like to try the Xtracrylics but there isn't anyone I can find that carries the range here in the lower 48 - hard to imagine why.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools