IAF F-16I SUFA UPDATE: 5/17/14: PAINTING AND CAMMO

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Rainer, much appreciated. They sure took a ton of time and I'm willing to bet, I could have built another kit in the time it took me to build and finish them

Peter

Wow, Peter

I'm just now getting around to reading this build, and I am so impressed!!! 

The research you've done really shows, and the finish on the stores is immaculate.  Never seen any that look that good.

Looking forward to following the rest of this build.

Best,

John

Guest Peterpools

Thanks John

Much appreciate the kind words. The loadouts took a lot longer thenb I ever thought and the drop tanks are as big as some 72nd models in their own right. Just glad they are completed and the other day I finished building  the exhausts with the parts Gary sent me. Tomorrow starts the lumps and bumps and I'm starting to see the air brush being called into action soon

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Montgomery

Thanks so much. The Sufa has her place all readt set aside; front and center in the display case.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Marus

Much appreciate and glad your following the build now. I just finished the burner can replacement assembly that Gary was so kind to send a while back and the difference is in the fine details. I'll be taking a few update photos today of the interior of the P&W exhaust and am working now all the lumps and pumps - an amazing number and still counting and gluing: plastic (kit), resin (Wolfpack) and PE (Eduard)).

Peter

Wow Peter, I had no idea you were building this beauty in this section. When I saw your F-16 in your foot page I started digging in the forums and I found you here. Outstanding work on those missiles. I specially like the Raphael Pythons, they look gorgeous. I have read some where that they are of superior performance than the AIM 9 Sidewinders, and let me tell you that those extra fins make it look with bigger teeth.

Cheers

Guest Peterpools

Hi Don

Been working on all the PE and detail parts. For the life of me, I just can't find a single photo in my Sufa book of any aircraft that have the parts PE7&8 represent. I did install 5&6 and they are suspect as well.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 4/19/14: ALMOST READY FOR PRIMING.

Modeling time has been at a premium lately with limited hours and a lack of energy to sit at the bench after work. Progress has been slower then I imagined but still moving ahead at a snail's pace and closing in on finally reaching the priming stages. Most of the PE, resin and kit lumps and bumps are in place, as well as the Targeting and Lantirn Pods and pylons are assembled and ready for priming and painting. Last up was the interior canopy framing is is now complete and ready for painting.

The last two assemblies that needed to be dealt with are the exhaust burner can and the radar dome'nose, neither of which fit all that great. The burner can assembly was donated by Gary and is in place and just a bit more Bondo and sanding is needed. As far as the radar dome goes, hopefully not much work will be required in fitting it into place. The tail feathers are just being test fitted and so far, so good.

With some luck, the next update will be photos of a primed and ready for a cammo Sufa.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

PCW_4783_zpsee91fb0b.jpg

PCW_4782_zpsa000ef1b.jpg

PCW_4780_zps656dcef3.jpg

PCW_4779_zpse4340beb.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Mark

Just seems the Sufa is taking forever and consuming a 'ton' of Bondo but she is starting to finally come together.

Peter

Looking good Peter!   One thing you may want to do is make note where you used filler, and try to used plastic shims or backing plates to align parts in case you build another one.   I  use the heat gun too, to stretch parts, like the rear doughnut, to make is just a touch larger and eliminate most is not all of the filler needed to smooth out the fit.   From what I see in your pictures, you hit all the usual places that you need filler in the Academy Viper so you are putting everything in the right place.   Having the wings molded with the fuselage like Tamiya did is a huge plus on a Viper build.

Edited by ghatherly

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Gary, Much appreciated.  Geez, what a great idea of using a heat gun to stretch parts for a better fit - I never even thought of it. Absolutely will give it a shot at the very next opportunity.  On man, what I wouldn't have given to have the wings already attached to the fuselage ala. Tamiya. Absolutely would have save a lot of hours of work and the fit would be perfect.

Thanks again for the help

Peter

Thanks Gary, Much appreciated.  Geez, what a great idea of using a heat gun to stretch parts for a better fit - I never even thought of it. Absolutely will give it a shot at the very next opportunity.  On man, what I wouldn't have given to have the wings already attached to the fuselage ala. Tamiya. Absolutely would have save a lot of hours of work and the fit would be perfect.

Thanks again for the help

Peter

Yup, looking really nice. Have to agree with a one piece upper fuselage, built two Academy F-16 kits, that's a pesky seam to get rid of!!

Don