WINGNUT LVG with USCHIE DECAL Finished!

Simmo.b

GUNS!!!

I am using the excellent Master barrels on this build, so as not to cover the sublime detail with layers of paint I am using the Uschie blackening agent

DSC_0540_zps2e61ce11.jpg

Above we have the liquid and the PE/machined brass components.

Below the awesome Master items

DSC_0541_zps5f908ec9.jpg

Below, The brass go's into the fluid which I mixed 50/50 with tap water to slow down the reaction time

DSC_0542_zps8785186a.jpg

Below, Voila!! they turn a nice gun metal black!!

DSC_0543_zpsc276d107.jpg

DSC_0544_zps1fa7ec47.jpg

And finally the finished items, just need the finishing touches to the rear gun {ammo,brace and wood work}

DSC_0549_zps91dea592.jpg

DSC_0551_zps80100302.jpg

Thanks for looking, more soon!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely fantastic work. I have a LVG with Uschie decals under way too - but not nearly as nice as yours.

With regards to the lozenge decals one word of caution - perhaps you already know. I thought nothing of the wing would be seen, so I skipped painting the wing. Bad idea. Decals adhered very badly so I had to strip them and buy another set. With an undercoat it was fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Aviattic Lozenge on!!

Let me start this post by stating that I am in no way affiliated with Aviattic Decals, I just purchased a set after seeing their website.

These decals are just superb,

I followed the great advice for lozenge application given to me by mammut08 (Dave) by first tracing the outline of the flying surfaces onto a piece of A4 paper then lining in the ribs and using tape to work out the actual chord length thus coming up with the actual width of the lozenge panels.

I purchased the faded, joined and trimmed lozenge which has the GREAT advantage of the modeller not needing to match the patterns at each join, this is done for you, all you need to do is work out the chord width as I did and cut the decal into manageable lengths (I found that 4 ribs was manageable).

After using the Uschie wood decals which are very thin and tear easily I found the Aviattic decals a joy to use, they are really tough and take all manner of abuse.

I started with a glossy pre shaded wing (the pre shade needs to be really obvious) I went with a white and dark grey shade which ends up very subtle on the finished wing.

After applying the decals I applied a coat of Tamiya clear then applied the Wingnut rib tapes, a very tedious process, I used a single tape for each rib starting at the trailing edge, wrapping around the wing and ending at the trailing edge on the underside, I left about 5 mm overhanging and when dry filed it off with the sanding stick. Once the ribs were taped I applied another tape around the leading edge. I chose not to tape the trailing edges as photos seem to indicate that no tapes were applied there.

After the rib tapes were on I applied another coat of Tamiya clear then applied the Wingnut national markings.

A coat of Tamiya semi gloss sealed it all in.

DSC_0583_zpsabba73b9.jpg

Upper Wings

DSC_0582_zpsea87dcae.jpg

Lower wings

DSC_0585_zpsfddbf131.jpg

DSC_0584_zps47fa872a.jpg

Tail feathers!

Thanks for looking, more soon