1/32 NA P-51H - We need one of these...

Derek B

This aircraft continually piques my interest and has me asking myself why there is not one available in 1/32 scale?.

I know that there is a 1/32 vacform kit of this aircraft (or was), but as far as I can tell, it would not be impossible to convert the P-51D into the P-51H, albeit with a lot of work. The front end is close on outline shape but the aft end is considerably different. The wing planform is similar apart from the leading edge and undercarriage bay/landing gear. The canopy is different.

Failing that, a new kit is in order (maybe I have finally found a use for my Doyusha and Dragon P-51D kits at last!).

F-51H-10-NA+Mustang+44-64633.jpg

Derek

ooooh yes, most perfect choice "mustang" wise.

Derek, i remember an old article in an old american modeling magazine just explaining how to convert a 1/32 scale mustang (in this case the Hasegawa version iirc) into a "H" type, gotta dig in to my binders, and hopefully i'll find it.

And ofcourse a twin mustang would be awesome too.

J.

ooooh yes, most perfect choice "mustang" wise.

Derek, i remember an old article in an old american modeling magazine just explaining how to convert a 1/32 scale mustang (in this case the Hasegawa version iirc) into a "H" type, gotta dig in to my binders, and hopefully i'll find it.

And ofcourse a twin mustang would be awesome too.

J.

That would be very interesting if you can find it Jack :speak_cool:

Derek

FOUND IT....indeed as Lee said, an article by a mr.Jack Smith, fine scale modeler april 1988....

Now if anyone would like to have a copy, or scan, just give a  holler, it´s an interesting approach to a "H" model.

Jack.

Edited by Jack

FOUND IT....indeed as Lee said, an article by a mr.Jack Smith, fine scale modeler april 1988....

Now if anyone would like to have a copy, or scan, just give a  holler, it´s an interesting approach to a "H" model.

Jack.

Take that as a yes please Jack.

Derek

I don' think there is a kit primarly because it really wasn't a mainstream fighter. You don't hear about this plane much.  I think something like 500 were built? 

The D and the H share almost nothing in common, it's really a completely different plane that happens to resemble the D. A conversion would be some serious work. Kinda like a Spitfire and Spitful, mind you looks like we are soon to get a Spitful, perhaps a resin P-51H someday? :hmmm: :please:

Ron

• 4 years later...

It's really the missing link kit-wise.  We have kits, however inaccurate of the early Mustangs, and about a dozen kits of the D-model, but nothing of the H.  Would require a rather enterprising company though to put one out.

Maybe after that, the CA-15 Kangaroo?  Looks like a Mustang on steroids

Matt 

Yes, I was told "a while ago" by a "certain very well known resin kit manufacturer", that he'd do it ( a run ) if I bought 20+, at around $120 each.

I think he'd still do it, though he did "caution" that he "knew" a "Big Japanese (or was it Chinese?) company was working on one.

If there is sufficient interest, we could get a "group buy" going, to have him do a small run.

He does Fantastic work.

I do have to talk to him first, if there's interest in that. 

Edited by AresShrike
new information

A 1/32 P-51H can be done, at $200 each, for a pre-sold run of 300 pieces.

Huge number of kits, I know, but, it's an extremely well respected manufacturer, and that's his minimum to "turn a profit".

So, ask around, maybe we could get it done.

thanks!

Oh, fine, it's Fisher Model & Pattern.