F-4 Intake Trunks. Recommendations?

Mark P

There is a great build here using just kit parts and getting a great seamless intake..for..free.

Most resin ones have fit issues with minor shrinkage even causing problems.

Ive got most of em and all have a kit issue of one shape or form minor or in some large.

The build here is a good cheap way out ill try and dig out the link..

Darren is exactly right. I used Russ Kampf method, along with Frank Mitchell's mods for my British Phantom and was relatively painless. And cheap.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=21968&&do=findComment&comment=175894

I have set of Rhino for my F-4J and F/A-18E test fits seem to be drop in...

Not drop in if you look at the side that goes against the fuselage. You still have to add in and fill/sand the rear ramp which is also part of the bypass vents. Plus I corrected the forward ramp or splitter plate which is also included.  So buy the Rhino then do more work? No thanks. 

Edited by phasephantomphixer

Check with Harvey, LSP Ray, or Jozef I think? Some others bought them at the IPMS Nationals in August. Problem with supply is the guy running the company has trouble doing it all by himself but is trying to outsource sets now. There is no shrink issue because they are always cast straight from the master with quality white resin under pressure. 

I do have a set and I am glad I got them. Very well done. The set I have is for the Revell F-4F converting it to an F-4G. If I have time, I'll take a couple pics and post them. I also have his A-10 engine sets and they are Gems !................Harv

Not drop in if you look at the side that goes against the fuselage. You still have to add in and fill/sand the rear ramp which is also part of the bypass vents. Plus I corrected the forward ramp or splitter plate which is also included.  So buy the Rhino then do more work? No thanks. 

Hi, I don't think anyone is being ugly here, the problem is that announcements are made, years go by and no products are ever produced.   I have been talking in to SH about F-15 wheels going on two years and no product.  My question is why announce weeks away and take years to deliver?  This is a problem with the Resin Industry.

I have seen your intakes and they are fantastic, in fact the reason I use the kit parts to get the details you describe as I cannot get the details in resin.  But I ask you, if the product you mastered is not being made, then should it be included here in  this thread?  When they are I am sure they will be the nicest out there based upon what I have seen and knowing the fantastic work SH produces.  

What these guys find is that starting  a company is a full time job and then some, and tooling and casting a part is the least of the problem.  Usually cash, time, and staff:  or the lack of all three are the reason for these projects/companies never coming to fruition.  I for one don't know why all of the small shop resin guys don't get together under one roof and finds a  manufacturer to produce and package their products.   I know Rhino works a day job and tools and produces product, Zactoman does this full time as his only means of income, Bruce is a part timer also, but they limit their offerings.  

Everyone have a great day and remember this is our hobby/enjoyment!!!!

FWIW, I did ask in my original post "currently available", which seems to eliminate SH trunks. So I guess a toss up between DMold and Rhino. I do have the original, multi piece Cutting Edge ones but was open to more current offerings. 

Out of curiosity, anything currently available for the Revell F-4 in 1/32?

BTW, thanks for all your replies to date!

Mark Proulx

Darren is exactly right. I used Russ Kampf method, along with Frank Mitchell's mods for my British Phantom and was relatively painless. And cheap.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=21968&&do=findComment&comment=175894

Thanks for sharing the link.

But I have to say; That is a truly depressing thread. Not only is the OP passed away but there are two other posters on there that have passed away as well. Even though the thread was way before my time here it's still heartbreaking.

I have these for sell in the "Traders Board" in "Thinning the LSP Stash" along with other F-4 Phantom "stuff".

Cutting Edge                          32183                    1/32       F-4 seamless intakes w/trunking (Tam)                                   $30

Cutting Edge                          32183                    1/32       F-4 seamless intakes w/trunking (Tam)                                   $30

Cutting Edge                          32183                    1/32       F-4 seamless intakes w/trunking (Tam)                                   $30

Barry

I have these for sell in the "Traders Board" in "Thinning the LSP Stash" along with other F-4 Phantom "stuff".

Cutting Edge                          32183                    1/32       F-4 seamless intakes w/trunking (Tam)                                   $30

Barry

Get them while they are hot!!

FWIW, I did ask in my original post "currently available", which seems to eliminate SH trunks. So I guess a toss up between DMold and Rhino. I do have the original, multi piece Cutting Edge ones but was open to more current offerings. 

Out of curiosity, anything currently available for the Revell F-4 in 1/32?

BTW, thanks for all your replies to date!

Mark Proulx

thierry laurent made some masters. I have the intermasters, but I needed to be make them with full trunking. I do have one side completed, but the other side needs a large amount of work. I seem to get side tracked a lot lately...

I have both the D Mold and Rhino intakes. 

I can't remember which is which  but I'm fairly certain the D Mold ones are on top:

4ebc1cc6.png

And from the other side:

7dffb920.png

There are definitely differences between the two. 

I used the Rhino ones my F-4J build and I think the only fit issue was operator error as one side was fine but I needed a bit of filler on the other:

f2bbe6fb.jpg

Hope that helps a bit. 

Carl

If you all like, I can get some pics up to show you what they are like (Sierra Hotel). Any takers ?...........Harv

Edited by Guest