Opinions on cockpit detail...

Uilleann

With so many of our kits today, companies like Eduard offer beautifully color printed and etched PE panels with detail right down to the screws themselves represented. However, with PE at least, you are forced to sand down all detail that may be present on the kit parts, and you then loose almost all relief and 3 dimensional detail.

So my question for you all is this: Which do you personally tend to prefer? If you have an option between a slightly less detailed, but more raised features type tub, is that your choice? Or is is all about the PE for you? Why? :)

Raised detail as example:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=38516&p=373759

Vs same tub in PE (though imagine all printed up):

http://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/gallery/2689/zoom/01.JPG

Printed panels look like:

http://www.eduard.com/store/out/pictures/z1/32744_1.gif

And on the smaller Tamiya 1/48 kit:

http://zone-five.net/showpost.php?p=69408&postcount=1

Thanks for your enlightened opinions one and all. :)

Bri~

Edited by Uilleann

I prefer the good old raised cockpit detail. Mainly because it looks better, but also because I loathe PE. I've decided after finishing the two Eduard 1/48 Doras that I will never use PE again. Maybe belts, but absolutely nothing else. To me, building model kits means relaxation, unplugging real-life momentarily, and to have fun. PE makes me feel the direct opposite. Haha.

I wonder if modelers tend to like working with PE... Hmmmmm... :whistle: :D LOL

Well, apart from the pain in the posterior it can be to apply - I'm more interested in your preferences of the actual look of the tub when completed. Thanks for the answers so far guys!

B~

I tend to avoid PE like the plague. It does have it's uses, but when I see it being used to replicate 3D objects like ignition wires, I usually shake my head.

I like the raised detail for some things and PE for instrument panels and placards. PE is a pain in the arse though.

Just my 2 cents ...

I'm firmly in the modeling should be fun and relaxing camp ... HOWEVER ... I do like to see 'noticable' detail ... that is, detail that is obvious AFTER the model is completed.

Until recently EVERYTHING I built was completely OOB. ... Then I started getting PE and turned alu' barrels in my Dragon AFV's, and the resulting difference in detail was obvious.

As a result of this experience, I added some brass gun barrels to my Hasegawa Fw-190 A-8 build - excellent result.

Looking at the cockpit now, though, and seeing it is open and obvious ... SOME PE would have benefited it - I agree with Daywalker and John:

Seatbelts, armoured sheeting and instrument panels are good subjects ... most of the other stuff seems kind of gimmicky and adding stress while bringing little real value for the return.

Rog :)

I'm not a huge fan of PE either, but sometimes the pain is self-inflicted. I remember one fellow, (on what site, I can't remember) having terrible problems with his PE belts. wouldn't bend, too stiff, etc. I suggested that he anneal them, to make it easier...... He didn't seem to want to do it. Oh well.

I'm not a huge fan of PE either, but sometimes the pain is self-inflicted. I remember one fellow, (on what site, I can't remember) having terrible problems with his PE belts. wouldn't bend, too stiff, etc. I suggested that he anneal them, to make it easier...... He didn't seem to want to do it. Oh well.

Yeah but how do you anneal the pre-colored ones?

I think it really depends on the detail in question, the PE in question, the resin in question, etc.

I tend to really like PE instrument panels, and it's good for stuff that needs scale thickness, like armor plate or seats (I used Eduard PE to replace the seat in the Trumpy P-47 and loved it). I tend to think every Eduard set goes way too far in what they replace, though. Lots of effort for negligible gain.

I'm also a fan and hater of resin. I hate using full resin cockpits because they NEVER fit right, and by the time I futz with it for long enough, all interest in the build has evaporated. BUT I will use the snot out of resin seats, resin control sticks, resin throttle bodies, you name it. If it can be drop-fit, I'm on it.

Something I haven't seen mentioned - textile belts instead of PE seatbelts. Now that I've used RB and HGW stuff on a few builds, I'm never going back to PE belts again.

... Something I haven't seen mentioned - textile belts instead of PE seatbelts. Now that I've used RB and HGW stuff on a few builds, I'm never going back to PE belts again ...

I remember you mentioning this one on another post somewhere ... sounds like a really good idea!! ... all the detail, texture and flexability without the pain .... I'm looking forward to ordering a set or two!!

If it's a jet cockpit, I'm more likely to go for the PE option. Trying to pull off those screens with paint and brush is out of my talent league. Prop cockpits though, I can usually paint just fine. Although with my B-25, I used the PE instrument panel. Only because the other option was a pretty bad decal.

Matt :party0023: