Jump to content

toadwbg

LSP_Members
  • Content Count

    270
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About toadwbg

  • Rank
    Hooked For Life
  • Birthday 11/30/2008

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Interests
    Modeling<br />Hunting<br />Comic Books<br />Bicycling

Recent Profile Visitors

371 profile views
  1. I'm headed out on a work trip to Japan this week, my first time there! I expect to come back with a few model kits in my luggage
  2. Went out turkey hunting this AM but only got gobbles... Re-painted the cowling and fuel tank. This time I used my fingernail and a 2400 sanding pad to chip away at the paint, came out much finer as I wanted. Not as much aluminum to see here right now but I might add more chips. l layed down the first base-layer of paint with the trusty Iawata airbrush, I started with the underside grey. I chose Tamiya X-12, which has a slight green tint to the grey paint that I like for the A6M5. Tamiya sprays down like a fine wine. I thin about 1:1, my thinner is 90%+ ISO alcohol, some reta
  3. I decided to glue in the removable covers for the working gear feature. Once I'm done painting, the gear will stay open permanently in ground display. Although these parts fit like a glove, I decided to screw them up by trimming and filing them for a little better fit. I pretty much made them worse! So I had to do a little sanding, filling, and blending in. This is the most sanding I've had to do on this otherwise excellent fitting kit.
  4. Thanks for the advice on the paint chipping techniques fellas. I decided to strip the paint and give it another go. This time I'm just going to "chip" with my fingernail and some 2400 grit sandpaper. Stripping the Tamiya acrylic from the lacquer spraycoat was easy, about 20 minutes in a bath of Simple Green, diluted 50/50 with water and it washes right off.
  5. Decided to try the paint chipping. My method involved first "stipling" areas typically wear paint chips off with liquid Micro Mask, than I airbrushed over with Tamiya Acrylics. I use a bit of Future (Floor wax) mixed in my paint for a touch of semi-gloss and it can help improve airbrushing. I sprayed a good coat, let them dry overnight and than used masking tape to pull off at the paint. Maybe worked too well.... I got the desired semi-random and jagged look but instead of getting lots of small chips I get lots of LARGE chips and paint removal. Too much? Not certain if I
  6. Loops amazingly like my own Stuka I did a couple years back. If I can find a link I'll post it for comparison.
  7. Decided to throw this on the fuselage to see how it's going to look- it is marvelous! I sorta now want to display the Engine instead of putting the cowling on: I decided to tackle the cowling a bit, there is a small PE fin that goes into the turbo intake, what a PITA! Lost it to the carpet monster and created a new one out of stock plastic: Used Tamiya TS-30 Silver leaf for a base aluminum coat on the cowling and prop. I will probably heavily paint chip the cowling as seen in many historical photos.
  8. Completed some detail painting on the radial engine and added the exhaust stacks, went together with no problems this time. There is a very thin ring, part C1, that goes on the back of the engine which supports the exhaust stack routing - careful with this part! Mine broke in 3 places and I had to mend and convince it back into shape. It did all work out with some luck. I got some more weathering to do back here, and paint touch-ups yet.
  9. Tamiya USA came thru and I got the replacement Sprue D in the mail last week. Turkey hunting has been a bust so far and it rained most the day yesterday pretty hard, so back to work! This time I just assembled the engine per instructions without painting. Build first, paint second. I did some test fitting with the exhaust tubes and Viola- everything fits great this time! Painting: Should I paint the entire engine assembly Aluminum first than pick off black details, or Black first and pick off Aluminum details? I've done it both ways before and decided this time on Aluminum as it
  10. No work completed in the last couple of weeksbecause Spring has finally sprung here in Iowa! Camping on the weekends, Turkey hunting, and daddy day-care while the wife has been traveling for work. Hoping for some bad weather so I can get some modeling done! I did contact Tamiya USA and ordered a replacement engine sprue so I can take another swing at getting it right. Sprue was like $14 with shipping, not too bad.
  11. Minor Disaster.... Got time to put in the exhaust tubes on the engine and they do not line up! Something is completely wonky and I think I know what it is. The multi-piece engine is "keyed" so each and every piece is clocked into the right position. I got to putting on the rear case and found it would not fit correctly, it was 90-degress out of phase. I knew something was up and as I tried the first 2 exhaust stacks with a lot of dry-fitting I figured out something smelled really bad. So I tried back-tracking and pulling the engine apart, but we all know this doesn't work well onc
  12. Great detailedbook, I'd highly recommended it. I have yet to be dissapointed in any Aero Detail book. I pick them up on Ebay when I can.
  13. Minor disaster- I washed the model to prep for painting and got water into the gear and flap bays that are the Aotoke color. The Lifecolor did NOT like getting wet and started to bubble and peel! NO! Some of it scratched off to the touch. I tried to avoid panic and let everything dry overnight. Viola! looked like new again in the morning except the areas I touched. I will just have to touch up some areas and I should be good to go again. Lesson learned, try not to let Lifecolor paint get water-wet again on the model surface.
×
×
  • Create New...