Nightfighters

Nic C.D.

"Runway two nine, roger". Thanks for posting this Bill. The P-61 sure is a fantastic aircraft, isn't it? It has been a while since I've been to the US, but when I have the chance, I sure will go see the MAAM one - and I'm sure I will when she flies!

I didn't have a lot of free time the last couple of days, hopefully that will change soon. I've detailed the open panel behind the engine in the left wing, but because it is about the same as the right wing, I'll probably bore everyone by posting photos of it... Since the B model has the main gear doors closed, I am not putting in too much detail in this area, I only have to figure out where to cut the kit doors, because only the doors of the A model are provided.

I hope to have an update soon!

Nic

The moment of closing up the fuselage of the P-61 is getting closer - and about time it is too! I scratched another detail for the area behind the gunner; there is a canvas giving access to the turret there. So, some plastic card, some parafilm and some paint (wash and dry brush) resulted in something like this:

Foto-HERGNAAL-D.jpg

I also painted the crew access ladder - wash, chipping, the usual stuff...

Foto-CY3EDR3Y-D.jpg

Once the canvas is installed, this is what it looks like:

Foto-3LFTXRLX-D.jpg

and when the ladder is placed, it looks pretty cool too, although a lot will be hidden when the gear doors will be installed:

Foto-84Q7ETU7-D.jpg

Some more: first the gun bay area. The first two colours are on, now it's time paint the details, wash, weather and chip. Getting closer....

Foto-VZQPCVLY-D.jpg

The radar crew area was also painted, but nothing more than that for the moment. Dry brush, wash, details and ... well you know; it still all has to be done. See the details on the ladder and the sidewall that was added? More to do, but it's progress, I guess.

Foto-ZC8N8H8F-D.jpg

I also painted the main gear bays. Only 2-3 shades because they will be closed for 90%, since I'm building a B-model. The good news however is that the booms are glued: Yessssss !! Bring on the flexpads!

Foto-UUDAGLRJ-D.jpg

And I've started painting the instrument panel. This still needs a lot of work, but it's on its way.

Foto-RSOXCNFZ-D.jpg

I've also glued ribs on the inside of the turret transparent part: 4 on each side at the front (vertical area) and 6 at the rear horizontal area. If you look into the cockpit, you just might see them, so I put them there. As with all the other details, I still have to wash, weather, drybrush and chip all of this.

The steps might be small, but I hope to close her up pretty soon !

Hope you like what is happening to this Hobby Boss kit, everyone!

Nic

Edited by Nic C.D.

Oh-oow... Well, I still have to add some little details to the aft crewladder. Do you think of something in particular Bill? I was quite happy with the front ladder, but if you have suggestions, please do, Obi Wan! Thanks for keeping me on track! I hope to get soon to painting this kit, that's what I do best, I feel.

Thanks for stopping by everyone!

Nic

3546057714_6996e851ae_zps948fd2fa.jpg

This is what the ladder looks like in it's stowed configuration. The silver looking part is the part that folds upward. The green part is attached directly to the tub.

PICT0011_small_zpse1e0ee82.jpg

Here is another view of the ladder and tub. Look at the two wrungs that are bowed out. One on the top end, the other across the tub itself so that not only a hand can grasp it but a foot can be placed there as well. There is also a push rod with teeth that fits with a half cog attached to the lower ladder. This upper picture shows one of the stop screws. Both can be seen in the lower picture.

Wheelwell1_zps7bf13a95.jpg

Notice the two adjustable screws for stops when the ladder is deployed. From this view the tub would swing toward you.

dsc0258425t8_zps24c52e93.jpg

Take another close look at not only the half cog but the teeth of the push rod shown here. See how the bracket, the lower ladder attaches to, has a little overlap and support on the hinged end. See just above the rounded part of the tub, the bowed step of the ladder. Lets also not forget the locking handle on the bottom left of the tub shown in this picture. The ladders only overlap between the ladder's hinges and the third wrung up.

the ladder functions thus to retract. Pushing down on the rod with teeth causes the half cog to rotate bringing the lower part of the ladder upward until it snaps into it's retainer clip. The two bowed handles are called lubber handles. The top one is pulled first to swing the tub assembly upward until the lower lubber handle can be reached. The lower lubber handle pulls the tub the rest of the way upward until the latch catches and locks the tub in place. Can you see this with these pictures? Hope this helps.

Bill

Edited by Night Fighter

Thanks Bill, I'll try to add some of those details to the ladder. Do you have any idea what is written on the tub except "Danger"? In the last photo, in the left lower part of the tub, is that a spotlight? Is that something that was there only when in maintenance?

I would like to say Bill, I really appreciate you taking the time to show me all these details. I can't promise that I can add everything, but I'll do my best!

In the meantime, I've worked a little on the enginemounts. First, this is one of them without paint:

Foto-77LVVXNZ-D.jpg

The added detail doesn't look like much, but that's just me being crap at taking photos...

Then I got two shades of alu paint on it and a black wash. First, a head on shot:

Foto-HAPJATFJ-D.jpg

I like the oily-look and grease of it. Once the engine will be on it, you won't see much of it, but that's part of the game!

Foto-FQDM6TKZ-D.jpg

Foto-QKERHSXI-D.jpg

With two shades of alu and a little wash, it looks bussy enough I guess. Hope you like this...

I also got the aircraft on it's own feet for the first time, just to see if the weight is doing it's job preventing the kit from being a tailsitter. And it does !

Foto-UBHRXUH7-D.jpg

It is actually starting to look like a Black Widow now. Next step will be finishing the interior and closing up the fuselage and starting to get everything smooth for painting. Unfortunately, the wing-fuselage joint isn't all that good. I can really recommend installing the bras strut to strenghten the construction wing-fuselage though.

Foto-BMWMZ7FL-D.jpg

I can say, this is one of the most complicated constructions I've ever done in 1/32. As simple and easy as Revell's Uhu was, the P-61 isn't. Fun: yes - simple: no !

Take care everyone and thanks for dropping by!

Nic