Nightfighters

Nic C.D.

I've never been on a forum before, but since I've been bitten by the 1/32 bug, I've been visiting LSP a lot - so why not show you what I'm building ...?

Over the last few months, I've been having fun with some WW2 Nightfighters.

Foto-SR8ONK4O-D.jpg

This is Revell's Uhu in progress. I like this kit a lot - it's a big kit of a cool looking aircraft at a super price. Needs a lot of weight to keep it on it's nosewheel though. I like it when one or more figures are placed next to a model to give an idea of how big (or small) an aircraft really is. This is a Master Box Luftwaffe pilot painted by a friend and fellow modeller. He sometimes paints a figure for me and I scratch a cockpit or gearbay for him.

The kit itself is great fun, took me 4 weeks to get to this point. Detailed the cockpit a little - I use the punch and die a lot... When it comes to building models, I'm not very modern; I still use my 25 year old Badger 150 and mainly use Humbrol paints.

I'm also working on another nightfighter...

Foto-8W4RJKGC-D.jpg

This one is a lot of fun as well; still much to do though. Very visible cockpit and a much more complex construction compared to the Uhu.

Another nightfighter that I've been working on is Dragon's Me-110. Nothing much to show there; I've only started to add some detail to the cockpit. I'll show you that later if you like.

Once these are done, I'll probably start on some other nightfighters. I'd like to do a Mosquito, a Beaufighter, a P-38 or a FW-190, but I haven't got any of those yet. Ah, well see...

I hope you enjoy the WIP and thanks for all your work; it is really inspiring and motivating.

Nic

Edited by LSP_Kevin

Welcome aboard Nic!

:post1:

Your work looks very good indeed, and I hope you can show us some more of it.

I've just edited your post slightly so that the images appear inline. I hope that's OK.

Kev

Australia, USA, Denmark ... woooow, this is cool! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yep, the second one is the HobbyBoss P-61. I've been waiting for this kit for a long time; during WW2, some of them were based here in Belgium. The kit is great, although I've constructed a bras support for the wings going through the fuselage to make it stronger.

I scratched some extra details in the cockpit. Example: on each side of the cockpit are 20 rivets that are quite visible: some punch & die took care of that!

Foto-PY67UFN8-D.jpg

Foto-BLBUYUOZ-D.jpg

Foto-O386TM8N-D.jpg

The crew access will be next, I'll keep you informed.

One kit I've nearly finished is a 1948 Belgian Spitfire Mk.IX. Hope you'll like it!

http://www.mijnalbum.be/Foto-KJPLTZQH-D.jpg

I'll get back soon with more progress, first will be the Uhu.

Nic

Edited by LSP_Kevin

That is a very nice cockpit Nic! Most impressive.

I've edited your photos again, but this time I've left the last one alone so you can see the difference in the codes if you edit your post (you'll have to turn off 'smart mode' though, by clicking on the icon top-left of the edit window - the one that looks like a light switch). To make it easier though, make sure you're using the 'insert image' button rather than the 'insert link' button. This will insert your photos as images rather than links, oddly enough.

Kev

Thanks for the info Kevin, I guess this works.
Thanks guys for the kind words, and Thomas, I'll try to get bigger photos for you - I'm not quite sure how yet, but I'll do my best !

So, here are a couple of photos of the third nightfighter I am working on. This is the Dragon Me-110, a very nice kit indeed. I'll build it into a D model that was based in St-Trond (Belgium) during the war. As you can see, I've just started working on it.

Foto-3PECBCL3-D.jpg

Foto-OQN48XOD-D.jpg

So, it's a big project: He-219, Me-110 and P-61 in 1/32 !

Here's the Belgian Spit (more of a photo test, really).

Foto-KJPLTZQH-D.jpg

Some progress on the trio of nightfighters. The Uhu has received his camouflage, and I have added the radar antennas and the boarding ladder. Not glued yet, because I still have to paint the windscreen, place the armor plate. Have to do some weathering as well, but I'm getting close to finishing it. The main wheel doors, flame dampers will be added at the last minute.

Foto-YY7WPSKM-D.jpg

Foto-TEQFG4PM-D.jpg

I have painted the main wheels as well, I'll try to make a close-up photo of these later. When the kit is done, I'll place the Signifer oil cart next to it, may add just a little to the scene.

Now, back to the P-61 and the Me-110 !