Green 1 - Me 262 with 21 Cm Wgr - Rescued from SOD

Mebo

Those do look great!

Please consider making the new oleos 4 - 5 mm shorter than the kit parts. It seems that Trumpeter cast the kit legs fully extended, and they make the finished model sit too high.

D

NICE !!! Great build !.............Harv :popcorn:

Thanks a lot Harv

Those gear do look a lot better.

J

Thanks a lot J, Now they have that perfect oily shine.

Those do look great!

Please consider making the new oleos 4 - 5 mm shorter than the kit parts. It seems that Trumpeter cast the kit legs fully extended, and they make the finished model sit too high.

D

Thanks a lot. Thanks a lot for the advice on the oleos. I looked through the handful of books i have on the 262 and you are indeed right about the way Trump modeled them fully extended. I took some measurements

and found out that i if i did them 2 mm shorter then original the plane gets the right stance when i compare to pictures. see pictures below. Thanks a lot for pointing this out to me. looks much better now. :goodjob:

Oh boy, brilliant! I have ALWAYS wanted to have a lathe and be able to use it like you do, I am extremely envious of your setup. Fantastic stuff there.

Hi Frank. Thanks for the kind words. You should definitely get one then. It is really not that difficult to do simple stuff like this. Just dont think that you will be able to do tiny barrels and so on to begin with. The Werfers was the first real thing i ever did on the lathe, and this was the second. Only played around a little with it before that. Brass and alu cuts very easy :-)

Outstanding ,work Mikkel!
This is going to be brilliant.
Cheer's,
Jeff.

Thanks a lot Jeff.

How didt i miss this build?

I have read your topic and i have to say great work.

Mark

Thanks a lot for the kind words Mark.

Terrific work on the gear. - looks great.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks a lot Peter.

:goodjob: :wow: :clap2: nothing else......

Thanks Didier. How is your P38 coming along ?

With the excellent advice i got from D Bellis i cut the main gear oleos 2 mm shorter. Sits much better now.

Also finished the front gear. Ended up being a hybrid of both the plastid and metal kitparts.

Also did the gear-retraction cylinders.

Happy modeling

Cheers

Mikkel

dsc0044yy.jpg

Original landing gear

dsc0045yn.jpg

Shortened landing gear

dsc0047or.jpg

dsc0048npu.jpg

dsc0050ms.jpg

dsc0051df.jpg

Excellent work on the gear. I wish I had a miniature lathe like you - learned to use one years ago and loved it.

I recently got the schatton tubes and rockets to add them to my 262 - didn't get around to it back then, and it seemed that it was rather cumbersome to order from schatton himself. Grey Matter figure got them now. I do agree that the tubes are not that good, so I think I'll try something like you did although without the lathe...

Just a heads up. In my build I used the same picture you did and it did not show the tail. So I decided that Eagle Cals suggestion of the tail camo was just a guess so I did the stripes on them too. Someone (on DMB I thin) stated after I posted mine that a picture of the other side including the tail did exist and it did show the other pattern on the tail. I havent seen the actual picture so I dont know about it - and if it is actually this bird for sure - but perhaps it would be good to look up the source he suggested. Too late for me though.

EDIT : It seems it wasn't Eagle Cals that showed the different camo on the tail. My sincere apologies to Eagle Cals !!

Edited by Thomas Lund

After posting the last post I started digging the net and fortunately found out that the tail was indeed striped !!!

Not sure, but I dont see WGr21's on these pics. Wouldn't the top picture be a great diorama with the kettenkrad, the upturned bike and the lazing crewman..

RudolfSinner2622.png

Nuevaimagen1.png

And the one from the other side

Nuevaimagen2.png

Edited by Thomas Lund

Excellent work on the gear. I wish I had a miniature lathe like you - learned to use one years ago and loved it.

I recently got the schatton tubes and rockets to add them to my 262 - didn't get around to it back then, and it seemed that it was rather cumbersome to order from schatton himself. Grey Matter figure got them now. I do agree that the tubes are not that good, so I think I'll try something like you did although without the lathe...

Just a heads up. In my build I used the same picture you did and it did not show the tail. So I decided that Eagle Cals suggestion of the tail camo was just a guess so I did the stripes on them too. Someone (on DMB I thin) stated after I posted mine that a picture of the other side including the tail did exist and it did show the other pattern on the tail. I havent seen the actual picture so I dont know about it - and if it is actually this bird for sure - but perhaps it would be good to look up the source he suggested. Too late for me though.

EDIT : It seems it wasn't Eagle Cals that showed the different camo on the tail. My sincere apologies to Eagle Cals !!

Hi Thomas.

Yes a miniature lathe is much fun and can be used for so many small jobs on a model.

About the tail of the plane. Major Rudolf Sinner had 2 different Me262's with almost identical paintjobs (or maybe it was repainted at some point!?!?!)

Both were called "Green 1". The only difference was the direction of the stripes.

The one you posted pics of never had Wgr. 21's fitted AFAIK.

I have never seen any pics of the tail of the Green 1 with the Wgr. 21. So i think Eagle cal's is right about the possibility that the tail had a different scheme. They show the tail being different on the decal instructions, but also say that no pic's excist of tail. I think i will do the tail just like you did yours, makes more sense to me.

Funny you mentioned the part about the nice dio opportunity from the pic. I thought the exact same when i looked at the pic yesterday morning in the Osprey JG7 book. Maybe its time to order some of

the excellent ZM dio accessories :hmmm:

Cheers

Mikkel

dsc0092gd.jpg

dsc0052jw.jpg

Edited by Mebo