Green 1 - Me 262 with 21 Cm Wgr - Rescued from SOD

Mebo

Hi everybody

This is my first WIP and also my first model in about 15 years or so.
I used to build small scale planes, AFV's and sci-fi models when i was a teen. Been lurking around LSP for the last few years

and felt it was about time to get back into modelbuilding.

I am building the Me 262A-1a flown by Kommandeur of III./JG 7, Major Rudolf Sinner.
This plane had a distinctive camoscheme of diagonal stripes. For a short period of time
in January 1945 the plane carryed out air trials  with the WGr 21 air-to-air mortar.

I got the following stuff for the build:

Trumpy Me 262 A-1a
Mastercasters wheels
Aires cockpit and wheelwell detail set
Eduard Big Ed
Shatton modelbau 21 cm Werfer Gerate Shells+tubes
Eagle Cals decals
RB seatbelts

Please feel free to comment

Mikkel

dsc0094de.jpg
dsc0092gd.jpg
dsc0091iqe.jpg

Edited by Mebo

I started out working on the 21 cm Wgr's. I have not been able to find any close up pics of the WGrs on Me262, only found close-up pictures
of them attached to 190's and 110's. The only pics of them i have found of them attached to 262's is pictures of JG7 jets and none of them
show the attachment in detail. So i just went with what looked good and what would be "logical"

The Shatton tubes are way to small when compared to the pictures so i had machined some new brass barrels om my miniature lathe. It was my
first time using it for an actual modelling project, and it took some time but in the end they came out ok.

The Shatton shells are pretty good even though they are slightly underscale. I think they are 1/35 even though the packaging says 1/32

Soldered on a piece of brassrod to attach it securely to the wikingershiff rack. also added some photoetch rivetheads and some pieces
of brass profile inside the tubes. They are about 95 % done, just need some wire and an igniter inside the tube, but i will add that after paint.

dsc0079qu.jpg
dsc0080uk.jpg
dsc0083ve.jpg
dsc0084xo.jpg
dsc0110ha.jpg
dsc0109wm.jpg

Wow, that's some really keen work!

Kev

Thanks a lot for the kind words

Yes!! Majestic!

Following this one for sure.

I see you drilled out the holes on the wikingerschiff as well.

Thanks, i also filled the holes on the inner side of the rack as i dont think there was any holes there !?!?

WOW! That is some fine work indeed, can't wait to see the rest of the build :)

Doug

Thanks a lot.

HOLLY MOLLY, this is good stuff. Welcome aboard ! And 1 more 262 is more than welcomed here. Your metal work is very good !.............Harv :popcorn:

Thanks for the warm welcome. I really like the 262 and got a B-1 in the stash too :thumbsup:

Solid!

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks a lot

welcome aboard and this surely is going to be a wonderful build to follow

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn:

Thanks a lot. Will post more pics soon

Edited by Mebo

Ive got a Fw 190 R/2 to do with a similar Krebs Gerat upcoming but I will be using Lion Roar 21 cm Werfer rockets and a scratched single launch tube.

Will be watching closely with interest!

:popcorn:

Cool, i havent seen the Lion Roar rocket but their products seem pretty good.

There is a very nice colour profile of a A-8/R2 on the backside of Kagero Fw 190 vol 1. A quite striking bird with a black crowl with a yellow outline and spinner spiral, flown by Willi Unger.

Is this the one youre doing ?

Fantastic. I have those parts somewhere in the vast reaches of the spare parts bin and was always unhappy with the tubes. Your new tubes are wonderful and even have the guide angles! Super start to what I trust will be an incredible build.

Thanks for sharing .

Do you have any advise to the fumble fingered among us as to how to get the angle even in the tube. I could never think of a way to get the three bits equally spaced and parallel down the tube. How ever did you manage it?

Thanks.

Dan

Thanks a lot. I am also happy how they turned out considerd that my scratchbuilding skills is a bit rusty from my modelling hiatus.

About the measurement and assembly of the tubes. I found a mathematic formula somewhere on the web that divides the outside radius of the tube into an even sided triangle. Unfortunately i forgot to bookmark it and cant find it now. :frantic:

Then make 3 marks with a sharp pointy thing ( I used a knife) on the outside of the tube where the tube is divided. The easyest way to make sure they are straight and parralel to the center of the tube is to do the following.

Place the tube on a flat surface.

Place a ruler that has a thickness of half the radius of the tube next to the tube.

I use a steel ruler with post-it notes under it. I just remove enough notes to get the right height.

Scribe the 3 markings that shows where the guideangles go.

Cut the guideangles 2 mm longer then the tube and let them extend 1 mm in each end. This makes them much easyer to place

in the right position. Once glued in carefully sand off the extending 1 mm of the guideangles.

Now also use the scribed markings to place the rivets :piliot:

I hope this makes sense, if not please say so and i will try to explain better.

dsc0118dg.jpg

Edited by Mebo

Cool, i havent seen the Lion Roar rocket but their products seem pretty good.

There is a very nice colour profile of a A-8/R2 on the backside of Kagero Fw 190 vol 1. A quite striking bird with a black crowl with a yellow outline and spinner spiral, flown by Willi Unger.

Is this the one youre doing ?

DING! Willie Unger's "Yellow 17"

KGrHqEOKpwE6VVTvqjBOrFtUUw60_3.jpg

Looking forward to more