J&L 1/72 Vac J-29 Tunnan

LSP_Kevin

Looks good to me Kev. I bought an inexpensive heat gun a few years back, and it works like a charm. (I was trying to strip/sand off forty years worth of paint from some woodwork in my living room, and the heat gun made short work of it.)

Thanks fellas.

Great project you've done there and not even the end of the month.

Yep, quite pleased with how quickly this has come together. Good to be able to tick off a modelling resolution so early in the year too! I'm hoping that my erstwhile Ansett stickers for the 767 build will show this week, and I'll be able to finish that one off over the weekend. The Spitfire's not far behind, and I'm hoping to make good progress on the Hughes racer too. All in all, a very productive holiday break for me, in modelling terms. However, last day tomorrow, back to work on Thursday. :crying:

Kev

Very nice Kev, nicely done! :clap2:

You'll be able to look back on this model years from now as a landmark build that put you on the road to ever more impressive modelling feats (you'll certainly slay many personal modelling monsters on the way). It is surprising how something so seemingly insignificant or innocuous in modelling terms as this particular build can have such a huge effect on your self confidence).

Derek

Thanks yet again fellas. I've made a bit more progress on the base, so I'll post photos of that later. Final photos won't be until the weekend, at least.

does this one top (or AT the top) of your "fastest builds ever list"?

Yeah, pretty close. Although I used to finish them in 15 minutes when I was a kid!

Mind me asking what you do Kev?

I'm a web developer, though because I work in a school, my job entails its fair share of general IT roustabout stuff. The school year here in Australia is based on the calendar year, and it all gets real again at the start of Feb.

you may have mentioned it, but where do you get the acrylic rod from?

I used a local online supplier called Acrylics Online, but I'm sure you could somewhere closer.

Kev

I thought I might show a little photo sequence of attaching the felt to the base. Hardly Earth-shattering stuff, but it's progress all the same! First, here's the sheet of felt I'm using:

jdlcuU.jpg

It's just a plain square, not the fancy self-adhesive stuff. So the first step is to get some PVA on the underside of the base:

UYMrAD.jpg

Make sure it's undiluted; adding water to the PVA isn't good for the unprotected MDF base, plus it's less effective as a glue for the felt. I spread the PVA into a thin layer using a plastic glue spreader.

Next, place the base carefully into a corner of the felt, and place something heavy on it:

6dM49Y.jpg

I left it like this overnight. The only issue I had was that a little bit of the PVA had seeped through the felt in one spot and tacked the whole thing to my cutting mat. A gentle twist and it came free, but I'll have to remember that for next time.

Here's the final result after running a #11 blade around the outside:

T67qsS.jpg

I struggled to get a completely clean cut, so the edges are a little fuzzy, but certainly not a problem. I also nicked the base with the blade in a few spots, so I just touched them up with some more black enamel paint. The small dark patch over on the right is a glue stain from where it had seeped through.

Hopefully I can get my Swedish roundel printed out tomorrow!

Kev