J&L 1/72 Vac J-29 Tunnan

LSP_Kevin

Nice Kev....................Ill have to get a vac going one of these days as well and break my vac cherry.

I still have my CM F7F at home waiting to be chopped to high heaven to become my in flight "what if" Reno unlimited racer.................. :hmmm:

Thanks again fellas. I'm having a blast with this one, mainly because I've placed no expectations on it. Certainly not having to worry about scratch building a cockpit or landing gear has helped a lot! I picked this kit up off eBay a few years ago for a buck due to my interest in the type, so it's repaying me in spades.

I've now managed to get all the main components together:

lJL0eV.jpg

I've also opened up the nose intake. I'd previously inserted an intake duct make from rolled-up paper soaked in CA. The whole soaking in CA thing didn't go that well (another example of my struggles with super glue today), so I'd love to hear from you guys who do this sort of thing. (Where's Tomek these days, anyway?) Even so, after painting it black it seems effective enough for the purpose.

Next step is to fill all those nasty gaps!

Kev

You brave, brave man! Great to see you expanding your skills and horizons.

Doesn't Tigger make a J-29 in 1/32 scale? Hmmm, that would be a treat.

Super glue is such a two edged weapon. Indispensable for the quick build but a bugger if it gets in the wrong spot.

I applaud your self motivation not to have any expectations for this build but I'm sure she'll come out a winner.

Dan

At this rate, he should have it finished by tea time Dan! :lol:

Derek

Doesn't Tigger make a J-29 in 1/32 scale?

Yep, got one in the stash. I've been waiting a long time to build it, but I need to get a few vacs under my belt before I'll be comfortable tackling it. It's really just a 1/32 version of this one (meaning it has around the same number of parts with about the same level of sophistication).

For interest's sake, and off the top of my head, here's the current list of my vac kits:

• Falcon 1/48 Beaufighter
  • Falcon 1/48 Beaufighter (incomplete)
  • Tigger Models 1/32 J-29
  • Falcon 1/48 Ta 152H (incomplete)
  • Falcon 1/48 F-89
  • Falcon 1/48 F-89 (incomplete)
  • FM Models 1/32 Boomerang
  • Air Press Models 1/32 He 162
  • Combat Models 1/32 IAR 80
  • Vac Wings 1/48 Ki-10 'Perry'
  • I.D. Models 1/32 He 219 (+ resin)
  • I.D. Models 1/32 Do 335 (+ resin)

There may be one or two more that have slipped my mind, but that's about it. Of that lot, the Boomerang kit looks to be the most sophisticated, but I plan to build each and every one. Any suggestions for which one to do next?

Kev

Falcon F-89. Jets are usually easier than props, and the Falcon kit is reasonably complete, with cockpit and LG.

Thanks Lee. I actually have two of them, though one is missing half a wing (broken sheet) and most of its detail parts). I also have the Revell kit to copy parts from, though it looks a tough build in its own right. I was actually thinking of the Ta 152H myself, as a member here sent me some useful resin parts for it. Either way, I have to finish this one first!

Kev

Does anybody have any idea how I might go about filling this void?

EkV9g1.jpg

The other gaps around the place will succumb to Milliput with ease, but this one has nothing to back it up, and I'm a bit worried that the Milliput (or whatever else I use) will just fall in. I should probably have backed it before putting the wings on, but I was a bit concerned about getting that wrong and blocking the brass tubes. That's what you get for being in a hurry!

Kev

Thanks Lee. I actually have two of them, though one is missing half a wing (broken sheet) and most of its detail parts). I also have the Revell kit to copy parts from, though it looks a tough build in its own right. I was actually thinking of the Ta 152H myself, as a member here sent me some useful resin parts for it. Either way, I have to finish this one first!

Kev

Kev,

I was thinking the Ta 152H myself - nice 'next stage up' in size model. It would also give you the opportunity to carry out a little scratch building and 'cross-kitting' of parts from IM Fw 190/Ta 152 kits, which would enable you to detail your vacform kit to a high degree...more new skills for you to develop.

Derek

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Nice progress, as the J-29 now has tail feathers. Nothing like being bold enough to take that first giant step

One healthy list of the vacs in your staff

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Does anybody have any idea how I might go about filling this void?

EkV9g1.jpg

The other gaps around the place will succumb to Milliput with ease, but this one has nothing to back it up, and I'm a bit worried that the Milliput (or whatever else I use) will just fall in. I should probably have backed it before putting the wings on, but I was a bit concerned about getting that wrong and blocking the brass tubes. That's what you get for being in a hurry!

Kev

Kev, that was one reason why I did not say how I would have tackled it because I wanted to see what you did? I would indeed have backed the inside of the apertures with plastic card before I joined the fuselage together. However, how to go about fixing this problem?

If it is still possible to successfully remove the wings, then this would be the best option as it would still enable you to fill out the gap with enough plastic card to provide a good purchase for the filler. If not, then it may be worth considering inserting strips of plastic card through the tail pipe and gluing them to the inside of the fuselage that way above and below the wing brass spar tubes. Once dry, they could be filled externally and sanded to match the fuselage contours (of course, I am sure that you will find your own solutions to achieve this! - good luck).

HTH

Derek

Kev, that was one reason why I did not say how I would have tackled it because I wanted to see what you did? I would indeed have backed the inside of the apertures with plastic card before I joined the fuselage together. However, how to go about fixing this problem?

If it is still possible to successfully remove the wings, then this would be the best option as it would still enable you to fill out the gap with enough plastic card to provide a good purchase for the filler. If not, then it may be worth considering inserting strips of plastic card through the tail pipe and gluing them to the inside of the fuselage that way above and below the wing brass spar tubes. Once dry, they could be filled externally and sanded to match the fuselage contours (of course, I am sure that you will find your own solutions to achieve this! - good luck).

HTH

Derek

Far too late for any of that unfortunately Derek. As I said, I was leery of filling the slot prior to adding the wings due to the uncertainty of where to leave a space for the brass rods. I figured trying to fill it after the fact from the outside was the lesser of the two problems. We shall see!

Anyway, here's what I've done so far:

Aqhf83.jpg

Basically, I cut a couple of rectangles from some scrap styrene, making sure that they could be inserted through the gap when on their sides. Then I CA'd a length of styrene rod to each one, added some CA to the inside faces, inserted them into the gap using the rods as handles, then twist and pull so that they're then glued to the inside of the fuselage. That makes it sound pretty easy, but in fact it was incredibly fiddly, and in the end I had to add more CA from the outside to get a strong bond. I was planning to add 4 or 5 all up, but gave up after two!

After they were firmly in place, I cut off the rod handles using a PE razor saw, and then laid some stryene strip down over them, using them as stanchions. They're curing now, but once that's done, I'll slather on some Milliupt and sand it all back once it has cured. There'll be a slight 'fairing' in that area, but that's no big deal.

Kev

Well, I've got the Milliput slathered on, but for the first time in my life I didn't mix enough! So it's spread a bit thin in places, but once it's cured and sanded back I'll have a better idea of where I need reinforcements.

Stay tuned for the next episode, where I break out the sanding sticks!

Kev