Trumpeter Me 262A-1a KG(J)54

D Bellis

Very nice build - beautifully weathered. I might add a few comments about this aircraft:

1. The rudder and tail assembly were experimental wooden versions and were painted in RLM 76 and 70 (Schwarzgrün). There are colour photos of other related aircarft that confirm the colours. As they were build by a subcontractor, they tended to be better finished and so were less affected by weathering, and, had a slightly glossier appearance.

2. The painted-out fuslage strip was originally a yellow stripe that was worn by aircraft from III./KG(J) 54 (the III. gruppe colour). A white sash was applied to aircraft from the unit's I. gruppe. These were painted out as aircraft were transferred between staffeln and gruppen during the last months / weeks of the war when fewer replacement aircraft were available.

More information on this aircraft can be found in a book I wrote on this specific aircraft some time ago here.

My most recent research on Me 262s from KG, KG(J) and NAG units can be found here and here.

Cheers,

David

Thanks Harvey! :)

I just need to confirm: D stands for Darin, right?

Yep! Thanks again!

David,

Thanks! The reference in your first link was the primary reference for this build. I'd like to add that a possibly yellow nose cap was also "painted out" on my model. But since the entire nose was missing when this aircraft was photographed post-war in a junk yard, that is pure speculation on my part.

KGJ54csm.jpg

D

• 2 years later...

Wow, thanks! :)

As for the nosewheel, you say a 109K mainwheel will work? 

Correct. The Me 262 used Bf 109G-6 (early) and K-4 (late) main wheels & tires on the nose leg according to the Smith & Creek books. I could look up the actual dimensions if you need that information.

Eduard

Barracuda

And there you have it. I believe that I bought the Barracuda wheel sets for the kits remaining in my stash.

Got to get around to building those, too, one of these days...

D