THE 'BIFF' PIECE.

krow113

mz , John , Stephen , Ron , Derek , Martin , Thank you for your interest, And all the boys at last nights meeting ,thank you for your positive comments.

IMG_4814.jpg

IMG_4811.jpg

One thing I will be adding is a tool roll on the wing, also if you look closely ,there is a mix of p/w and fabric rigging. I was not able to get to p/e to work in lengths over 2" ,but it worked in areas like the tail which is all p/e.

Stephen your comment regarding color schemes is along the same lines of my thinking .I view museum restorations very carefully and I believe too much accurization takes the fun out of things . Witness the silliness around FW 190 D Blue 12 , having fun is better than arguing about colors and schemes that are lost to history. None of us were there , let alone appying paint to these planes.

I am happy you guys like the work.

Edited by krow113

mz , John , Stephen , Ron , Derek , Martin , Thank you for your interest, And all the boys at last nights meeting ,thank you for your positive comments.

IMG_4814.jpg

IMG_4811.jpg

One thing I will be adding is a tool roll on the wing, also if you look closely ,there is a mix of p/w and fabric rigging. I was not able to get to p/e to work in lengths over 2" ,but it worked in areas like the tail which is all p/e.

Stephen your comment regarding color schemes is along the same lines of my thinking .I view museum restorations very carefully and I believe too much accurization takes the fun out of things . Witness the silliness around FW 190 D Blue 12 , having fun is better than arguing about colors and schemes that are lost to history. None of us were there , let alone appying paint to these planes.

I am happy you guys like the work.

There is one other element we often ignore or just plain forget about. That is the factor of the changing and fading of the colors with time, environmental conditions and use. The stability of the color dyes and paints was not as secure back 100 years ago as they are today. Even today we have problems with colors. The late LSP member David Thompson and I had a long conversation a few years ago about this and he remarked that when he was in Vietnam (Dave was a combat soldier) almost every army vehicle was a different shade of the standard color, even with trucks from the same factory that arrived at different times. The exposure to the hot sun and the rain and heat had caused all the paint to fade. Dave said you could tell how long a truck had been in-country by the fading of the colors. Also we have the element of how careful were the manufacturers in mixing their dyes, considering the all round shortages of practically everything in Germany and other countries as the war progressed?

So, we pays our money and pick our colors and hope for the best while we just have fun.

Stephen

P.S. My favorite story is about the Israelis during their war for independence when that had practically nothing to work with. They had to paint some of their newly arrived second or third hand airplanes so they used house paint! Let the purists handle that one!

Edited by ssculptor

Guest Peterpools

Steve

Keep coming back and taking that 'last' look and can't get enough.

Absolutely agree that ..."having fun is better than arguing about colors and schemes that are lost to history".

Peter

Peter -Thank you.

Dont get me wrong on the accuracy score, I have spent hours on researching subjects. Arguing about it is a downer and not worth it. I will endeavor to be as accurate as possible ,when the subject merits it .

IMG_4802.jpg