Announcing the "Almost Out Of Box Group Build"

LSP_Ron

I understand the AOOB rules, but was wondering if simple brake lines on the landing gear would be OK?

***EDIT***

Just re-read the rules, looks like this should be OK!

Edited by Daywalker

I see where you're going with the ideas for the main WiP forum, but unfortunately the monitoring and management overheads are simply beyond what we can manage at the moment.

It's not that hard. You need 4 prizes per year, I'll be generous and say thats $100 bucks x4 but, that is without getting some sponsorship. Add in a little shipping, say 30 bucks x4...it's not all that expensive. You could even run it every 4 months, that's 25% less straight away. Managment would be to collect the names of everyone who posted a completed kit in that time, put their names into a hat and draw one out. Then contact the winner and arrange for their prize to be sent out.

If 9 moderators can't handle that, perhaps it's time to fire a few and put some new people in?

The Mods are volunteers, Brad. And the prizes are usually supplied by generous members. This is not a profit generating site, just a bunch of enthousiasts.

Edited by Allok

I know this Allok and I do volunteer my time both as secretary of my model club and junior coach at my cricket club, so I'm well aware of what it takes to be a volunteer. All things take are effort and money and if LSP isn't a profit generating site, perhaps it should be. Remember, not for profit doesn't mean you can't make money!

I know this Allok and I do volunteer my time both as secretary of my model club and junior coach at my cricket club, so I'm well aware of what it takes to be a volunteer. All things take are effort and money and if LSP isn't a profit generating site, perhaps it should be. Remember, not for profit doesn't mean you can't make money!

All of this may be true, but in the situation that LSP is in, its a niche environment, and really doesn't operate like the other forums do, as there seems to be a much wider selection of not only models, but people to participate on forums that support any/all aviation scales.

There is also the fact that there are some personal issues / going on as well, that may hinder this kind of thing as well. That is not for me to discuss, but lets just say that I dont believe its a problem with how the GBs are run here, but the nature of our scale; IE, there are just large differences in the way things have to run with LSPs and a smaller forum / niche environments like LSP.

Im not an admin here..........Im just a member who helps with the GBs, but one thing I do know, is the admins and LSP staff are putting in quite an effort with this site as it sits. We all know regular life can get in the way of things including running a site, but I just dont think that making money (other than that to cover expenses incurred) is in the spirit of how things normally work around here.

I think the point of all of this is just to have a bit of fun without taxing or killing any of the LSP staff. I also really dont think its a matter of needing more admins, I just think its the nature of the beast. LSP is more like the English "gentleman's club" of the forums, and as such gets run a bit differently, and takes different admins to run it, and takes a different type of enthusiast to participate in it.

I hate to say it, (even if it would take my new "job" away) but I think Id rather see the GBs go away if participation is nil, as apposed to having to get wrapped up in some venture to make cash to cover more work or expenses to run things the way they need to be to keep the GBs going.

Just my take on things though.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guys im wondering would adding lights be considered scratch building ? would that be OK to had

Cheers

Neo

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'lights' mate, but if you mean some sort of commercial lighting kit, or buying LEDs and wiring them up, I'd have to say that's probably outside the scope (and perhaps spirit) of the GB. But only just. I'd love to see you do it though, so perhaps you'd consider such a build in the WiP forum?

Kev

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'lights' mate, but if you mean some sort of commercial lighting kit, or buying LEDs and wiring them up, I'd have to say that's probably outside the scope (and perhaps spirit) of the GB. But only just. I'd love to see you do it though, so perhaps you'd consider such a build in the WiP forum?

Kev

Not really en expert in this subject yet, but I think Kev is right but jsut MHO. Id say if there was a way to scratch build the lighting they yes, but buying LEDs and what not might be a tad out of scope for the AOOB GB.

It's not that hard. You need 4 prizes per year, I'll be generous and say thats $100 bucks x4 but, that is without getting some sponsorship. Add in a little shipping, say 30 bucks x4...it's not all that expensive. You could even run it every 4 months, that's 25% less straight away. Managment would be to collect the names of everyone who posted a completed kit in that time, put their names into a hat and draw one out. Then contact the winner and arrange for their prize to be sent out.

If 9 moderators can't handle that, perhaps it's time to fire a few and put some new people in?

Are you volunteering to provide the first year's prizes then since "it's not all that expensive"?

Doug

Thanks for volunteering to spend us Mod’s money Brad. Much appreciate.

I take offence, I have personally donated several kits out of my stash for prizes to this group build and past group builds as have several other mods as well as paid the postage. Many of us have also made past loans to the site to see it through some hard times. As for the 9 mods, 2 are administrators not Mods, they run the show.

For all of us this is voluntary, and you may want to consider three are fighting very serious illness, one is commemorative of a founding member (Steve) and is no longer active. We all spend a great deal of our personal time keeping this site running etc. but we all have lives to live as well.

So that all said, it’s rather offensive to tell us how we should run things or be fired.

Cheers

RP

Kev

Yup. Go for it in the WIP Neo. That would be really cool to see.

Cheers Matty

My points would seem rather more valid with what you are saying Ron, despite any offense you may take or my status as "relativley inactive". If you choose to donate your money or prizes, so be it, but if I was owner I'd want the site to turn a profit so tipping in your own money was not required. I was also portreying the worst case costing, sponsorship could negate some of these costs.

If there are members who are crook and can't provide their assistance to the extent they usually did, we'll forgo the pink slip, but perhaps 3 people are needed to fill in until they are well again.

I'm not demanding you do anything, or spend any of your money, I'm simply expressing an alternate point of view and throwing around a few ideas in the open for discussion....I presume that's still allowed in this day and age.