Trumpeter 1/32 A-4M

Dave Williams

My kit just arrived in the mail, and I LOVE it!

The mentioned accuracy issues are regrettable, but none are showstoppers for me. My biggest complaints are 1) the cockpit side consoles are beyond lame, and 2) the kit provides no provision to have the canopy in the open position (probably because of the lousy cockpit haha).

I have an ancient SuperScale "Free Kuwait" sheet in my collection for a long time, so I'll be using it to convert the A-4M kit to A-4KU. I'll probably leave the canopy closed. After numerous "kitchen sink" builds, this will be my sanity project.

Cheers,

Terry

does anybody do clear resin casting? if the canopy lines are correct outside of the "bulge" doesn't seem like it would be too hard to make a master by adding some magic sculpt to the sides and blending it in to the existing shape.

PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE ???...........Harv

I have an ancient SuperScale "Free Kuwait" sheet in my collection for a long time, so I'll be using it to convert the A-4M kit to A-4KU.

Hehe, I have almost the same plan, just that I obtained a FCM Decals sheet for the second-hand user of the Kuwaiti Skyhawks - the Brazilian Navy :)

Hm, didn't Derek show interest in doing some Skyhawk parts? Looks my suggestion for an 'M-canopy is still valid... :rolleyes:

Hi Dave

Would live at some point to get a list of the kits known deficiencies from your excellent knowledge on the M...

Btw your excellent rundown on the Harriers is appreciated.

Can't wait for the intakes Harold have aggressor plans!

Good work the Argie scooter sets are brilliant.

Dave, I understand your point. I think that Trumpy has again lost, or not cared, that a kit is not an accurate, out-of-the-box build. The frequency with which this seems to happen is surprising. As a consumer, this is exactly why my stash of Trumpy kits is small. I'm taking your issues at the A-4M at face value as you seem to "know" the aircraft, just as others "know" Spittys, and Mustangs. So, again, as a consumer, I choose to try to purchase as accurate a kit as possible, and if a kit is 100.00 US, I'll listen much more carefully. Maybe at some point you can get ahold of a kit to gain a better impression of the issues, and relay that here, which in the end, would serve us all better.

Hi Dave

Would live at some point to get a list of the kits known deficiencies from your excellent knowledge on the M...

Btw your excellent rundown on the Harriers is appreciated.

Can't wait for the intakes Harold have aggressor plans!

Good work the Argie scooter sets are brilliant.

I got my answer from my expert that critiqued my resin intakes and side scoop. The intakes are probably close enough, but the scoop is off in dimensions. I will work those over and see how they look later.

Harold

I think there is a lot of jumping to a conclusion about how bad the kit really is. The only real hard info backed up by photos in this thread is that they botched the canopy. Absolutely true. But to jump from that to say that the whole kit is a piece of junk, that it would take $100 or more to "fix" it, or suggest that the Hasegawa kit might be a better option seems like a stretch based on the limited info in this thread. I started this thread, have the kit, posted the canopy pictures, and made some comments based on the limited info I have (aside from photos on the Internet, I'm using the Isradecal book and an old Aeroguide on the A-4M). I'm not an expert by any means, and I'd love for someone who knows more than me to do a more detailed review. but except for the canopy I don't think it's a horrible kit.

My feeling is that a lot of the ire directed toward the Trumpeter kit is due to the fact that they had a chance to do a correct A-4M and they failed. No doubt of that and there is no excuse. However, the reality is that there are currently only two options for making an 1/32 A-4M: converting the Hasegawa kit or fixing the Trumpeter kit. The fact that Trumpeter should have done it right and it shouldn't need aftermarket fixes doesn't change that the kit is what it is and now people have to live with it and make a choice. I think the fact that the Trumpeter kit is new tool, has recessed panel lines, intakes that aren't blocked off, has more detail (engine, gun bays, gear bays - even if it's not quite right), and looks more like an -M than the Hasegawa kit will get people to buy it. Also, aftermarket will come out for it because it's a new kit. I understand not liking Trumpeter because they mess up some big things and expect people to pay a lot of money for their messed up kits. But the kits are what they are and like it or not, people are going to buy them. I think the best thing is to identify what's really wrong with the kit, what absolutely needs to be fixed (like the canopy), what is so-so or could be better, so aftermarket people can get cracking on the things the kit needs. Kudos for Harold for coming out with better intakes and correcting the right side mid-fuselage intake.

I think there is a lot of jumping to a conclusion about how bad the kit really is. The only real hard info backed up by photos in this thread is that they botched the canopy. Absolutely true. But to jump from that to say that the whole kit is a piece of junk, that it would take $100 or more to "fix" it, or suggest that the Hasegawa kit might be a better option seems like a stretch based on the limited info in this thread. I started this thread, have the kit, posted the canopy pictures, and made some comments based on the limited info I have (aside from photos on the Internet, I'm using the Isradecal book and an old Aeroguide on the A-4M). I'm not an expert by any means, and I'd love for someone who knows more than me to do a more detailed review. but except for the canopy I don't think it's a horrible kit.

My feeling is that a lot of the ire directed toward the Trumpeter kit is due to the fact that they had a chance to do a correct A-4M and they failed. No doubt of that and there is no excuse. However, the reality is that there are currently only two options for making an 1/32 A-4M: converting the Hasegawa kit or fixing the Trumpeter kit. The fact that Trumpeter should have done it right and it shouldn't need aftermarket fixes doesn't change that the kit is what it is and now people have to live with it and make a choice. I think the fact that the Trumpeter kit is new tool, has recessed panel lines, intakes that aren't blocked off, has more detail (engine, gun bays, gear bays - even if it's not quite right), and looks more like an -M than the Hasegawa kit will get people to buy it. Also, aftermarket will come out for it because it's a new kit. I understand not liking Trumpeter because they mess up some big things and expect people to pay a lot of money for their messed up kits. But the kits are what they are and like it or not, people are going to buy them. I think the best thing is to identify what's really wrong with the kit, what absolutely needs to be fixed (like the canopy), what is so-so or could be better, so aftermarket people can get cracking on the things the kit needs. Kudos for Harold for coming out with better intakes and correcting the right side mid-fuselage intake.

Based on current retail prices for aftermarket items, I can gaurantee that any parts made to correct the Trumpeter kit will push the $100.00 mark when all is said and done.

We already have intakes and scoops from Harold (no prices yet, but I'm sure they'll retail for more than $20.00)

As you stated, the cockpit is very sparse and will more than likely be addressed by Aires (another $40.00 at least)

A corrected canopy and windscreen? Depending on the medium used, there is another $20.00 +/-

That is a conservative guestimate and we're already looking at $80.00 in aftermarket. Now, as I said earlier, the cockpit is somewhat understandable as any aftermarket cockpit is usually to improve what comes in the kit.

The canopy/windscreen, intakes and scoops shouldn't even have to be considered. Trumpeter isn't a new company, so there is no excuse. Trumpeter catches crap because they don't listen (and the perception is that they don't care).

Look at Kinetic for an example of a company that does care. Their first efforts with the F-16 were awful and they caught a lot of flak on the forums. However, they listened to the criticism, contacted modelers that knew the subjects they wanted to release and have improved with each model they release. While there are still mistakes being made, they are less frequent and minor when all things are considered. The fact is they are listening and trying their level best to improve.

Trumpeter? Not so much.

Oh, and as far as my comments about the Hasegawa A-4E being a better option to convert. I said that I would prefer to convert the Hasegawa kit than to correct the Trumpeter kit. That is MY preference and MY opinion. I never said it was the best option for anyone else and no one has to agree with my opinion. If you want to drop $100 on the Trumpeter kit, then another wad on resin to correct it, you are more than welcome to do so. Me? I'll pick up Hasegawa A-4E's in the $40 range and convert them. In the end, I would bet that my converted Hasegawa A-4E would give a corrected Trumpeter A-4M a run for its money.

With the money saved I would buy a case of Sam Adam's Coastal Wheat and a couple of steaks to celebrate! :D

If the opportunity to borrow a kit presents itself, I promise to provide the same level of review I did for the Harrier.

With the money saved I would buy a case of Sam Adam's Coastal Wheat and a couple of steaks to celebrate! :D.

Now, that is just funny!!

I think, and it's my opinion here, is that in the end it all comes down to the modelers. If they want to dish-out the dough to fix the mistakes of Trumpeter, they will...or if they want to improve the hasegawa kit they will. But, I do agree with many modeler that we are getting tired of buys kit that are passing the $100 range and turn around, only to buy resin sets to fix the crap that could have been avoided. It's bull crap. I think it's time we use the forget-me-stick on these model companies... :fight: j/k.

Just my nickle's worth!!

Mike

Edited by Youngtiger1

Everyone has an opinion and no kit is perfect...

When I look at the cost of correction sets for my Tamiya Phantoms, I'm neither satisfied, believe me... And no aftermarket company released a resin fuselage without the damned panels to remove for obvious cost reasons. How is it possible that Tamiya made a stupid error on Viper tail panel lines whereas the less accurate Academy kit has the correct panel lines there? I corrected this and this was a simply a lengthy nightmare! Similarly, how is it possible to forget the cockpit rails on a P-51D Mustang? Here, I'm mentioning an obscure company named Tamiya and unknown topics such as the Phantom, the Viper and the Mustang ;-)

The list is without end.

Trumpy missed the opportunity to release an excellent kit. However, as far as I know, currently, there is no other option for the 1/32th modeller! I don't like stupid errors on a kit. However, this does not prevent savvy people to have constructive comments. Telling me that a kit is a POS does not help me as a modeller. Listing problems based on observed facts is far more useful. However, it is up to anyone to give useful and constructive comments. For me, this is the end of the discussion regarding this question. As I'm still waiting for my kit, I won't give any further comment without having the plastic between my hands.

Seriously? Does anyone not know what an opinion is? It isn't based on fact, it doesn't need to be shared by all, and there is no 'right' or 'wrong' when one is expressed. In MY opinion, the Trumpeter A-4M is a POS plain and simple. If the rest of you think it is fine as is, then so be it. Buy it, build it and be happy with it. Correct it or don't, it is entirely up to you.

Sorry, but simply because I feel a kit is a POS doesn't obligate me to describe exactly why I feel that way, or to provide constructive feedback on that kit. I've looked at the sprue shots, I've seen close up shots of parts that were sent via email......I don't like it and prefer to stick with the Hasegawa kit. Like I said earlier though, if I get the opportunity to borrow a kit, I will write a review and point out what needs to be corrected and how to correct it.