1/32 P-40 - New EMD products planned, but additional ideas welcomed?

Derek B

Derek,

I made a tweak list some time ago for this plane, just look on LSP. However, it is not even fully complete as I omitted some shape problems linked to the wing position and dihedral if my memory's right.

I believe you are correct about the wings. IIRC, there is almost a total lack of dihedral. I witnessed this as the Nationals last year on one Trump example. Wing was almost totally flat

Brian

Thierry/Brian,

Thanks guys - I shall look at your tweaks list Thierry. The dihedral problem sounds most odd? - however, I don't think that any AM will fix that issue.

My 'hit list' for the P-40 in terms of forthcoming items (thus far) looks like this:

P-40N wheel hubs and tyres (block tread and diamond tread patterns)

P-40 stud tread tyres

P-40 seat with choice of US or UK harness assemblies (flexible)

P-40 Underwing bomb racks (type yet to be defined - may come with bombs like the Spitfire universal carrier...I haven't decided yet?)

P-40 Two gun wing leading edge inserts

Other suggestions very welcomed!

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Hmmm... good points Derek! Given Hasegawa's tendency to do later releases with required parts in one box, perhaps leave the N alone for now. I am sorry I cannot comment further on it, I really don't know enough about them to field an educated answer! :sorry:

How about an early conversion set, to modify their P-40E into a Tomahawk? :m0152:

Well Frank, now that I have had a chance to have a quick look at Thierry's tweak list, I can see that there is quite a lot wrong with the Trumpeter Tomahawk kit - so I now understand your motivation. If someone can confirm that the P-40E airframe is the same as the P-40B from the firewall aft, then I will seriously look into making an accurate Tomahawk nose conversion for the Kittyhawk kit?

Derek

Fuselage is different beyond firewall. You'd need to raise the the cockpit area therefore the fuselage spine. Might be easier to make an entire new fuselage. As for the dihedral on the Trumpy kit, a bit of sanding at the joint worked for me. Just a bit of elbow grease. The horizontal stabilizers are off (too narrow). I made a correction set for them as well as a drop tank. ( Some of the other items I mentioned to you earlier). I have a comparative drawing of the fuselages over-layed somewhere. I'll see if my son can dig them up for me.

Dan

Well Frank, now that I have had a chance to have a quick look at Thierry's tweak list, I can see that there is quite a lot wrong with the Trumpeter Tomahawk kit - so I now understand your motivation. If someone can confirm that the P-40E airframe is the same as the P-40B from the firewall aft, then I will seriously look into making an accurate Tomahawk nose conversion for the Kittyhawk kit?

Derek

Derek,

I'm not sure but it looks as if the rear fuselage windows behind the canopy are a different shape from the 'B' to the 'E' models

Fuselage is different beyond firewall. You'd need to raise the the cockpit area therefore the fuselage spine. Might be easier to make an entire new fuselage. As for the dihedral on the Trumpy kit, a bit of sanding at the joint worked for me. Just a bit of elbow grease. The horizontal stabilizers are off (too narrow). I made a correction set for them as well as a drop tank. ( Some of the other items I mentioned to you earlier). I have a comparative drawing of the fuselages over-layed somewhere. I'll see if my son can dig them up for me.

Dan

That will be great Dan :speak_cool:

Of course, when I mentioned the differences between the Tomahawk and Kittyhawk fuselages aft of the firewall, I meant the full size aircraft, not the kits!

Many thanks

Derek

Derek,

I'm not sure but it looks as if the rear fuselage windows behind the canopy are a different shape from the 'B' to the 'E' models

Thanks for pointing that out Mike. Hopefully, I shall have a clearer understanding if Dan manages to find his overlay drawings?

Regards

Derek

While we can get a cockpit to address the Trumpeter P-40B/C problems, I don't know of any corrected tail surfaces. The Master Details horizontal tail set says it works for D models on. What would we do to make one for the earlier models? Would that make sense as an accessory?

Tnarg

BTW, the rear windows of the E are very different than the B. The B almost looks like the P-36 or Hawk variants, and the E windows are much taller.

Edited by Tnarg

While we can get a cockpit to address the Trumpeter P-40B/C problems, I don't know of any corrected tail surfaces. The Master Details horizontal tail set says it works for D models on. What would we do to make one for the earlier models? Would that make sense as an accessory? Tnarg BTW, the rear windows of the E are very different than the B. The B almost looks like the P-36 or Hawk variants, and the E windows are much taller.

Thanks Grant - I need to take some time to see the differences. The shallow cockpit is not an easy one to fix without a new fuselage centre section, which is why I an considering a P-40E conversion?

From Thierry's description, the windows aft of the cockpit are incorectly shaped in any case due to the top of the fuselage being curved instead of straight (if I understood him correctly? - difficult to visulise without pictures).

If the basic (Hasegawa) P-40E airframe is the correct shape, this would make a much better starting point for the earlier P-40s as I can make a new nose and other parts to back-date the kit accordingly - this would largley sort out the cockpit issues as well.

However, I am open to everyone's thoughts as to which would be easier for them - trying to correct the Trumpeter kit or convert the Hasegawa kit?

Regards

Derek

Derek

A great selection of needed upgrades. I especially like the idea of the seat and posable belts -- PE belts drive me nuts and my elder eyes have not attempted the fabric belts. The P-40Q conversion would be wild and crazy, I want one too.

Bill

Derek

A great selection of needed upgrades. I especially like the idea of the seat and posable belts -- PE belts drive me nuts and my elder eyes have not attempted the fabric belts. The P-40Q conversion would be wild and crazy, I want one too.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I have never attempted flexible resin before, so this is something of an experiment for me, we'll just have to see if it works or not.

I do like the look of the P-40Q, but if I were to make this as a conversion, it would be strictly a very limited run thing that would not be cheap, and I would need to be pre-paid up front before I make it - it is the only way that I could recover the outlay expenses!

Many thanks

Derek

I just noticed this thread, having been away traveling. Here are my thoughts--

First, your choice of seats, wheels, bomb racks, etc. are all good choices and will be most welcome. Secondly, a conversion set for an early P-40N is not necessary-- the Hasegawa P-40M/Kittyhawk III kits will work just fine. You may need to convert to a four gun configuration but that is about it. Derek might want to consider doing a four gun insert. It will also work for most P-40L's too. I believe the wing panels were the same so a 4-gun plane could be converted to a 6-gun as was sometimes done.

Making a conversion set to make an earlier Tomahawk out of a Hasegawa P-40E would be a mistake. It couldn't be done without redoing the whole kit. All the major parts-- fuselage, wings, fin and rudder, stabilizers etc. are different. With the tail surfaces, they are mounted differently. The wings, while similar in outline, are very different in panels and details, due in large part to the very different armament. But the fuselage is the real deal breaker--almost nothing is the same from stem to stern. I don't see how any part of the P-40E fuselage can be used. I think you would be much better off making corrections for the flawed Trumpeter kit than trying to convert the Hasegawa kit. Just my two cents..

Now, a P-40Q might work for a conversion. I prefer operational variants, but I know a lot of people would welcome a "Q".

Bill M.