Kyushu J7W Shinden

scvrobeson

I'm certainly looking forward to the meatballs being applied. Do you also have little crossed out B-29 decals?

Hey Kevin!

Some of the decals are already applied, just to test them out, and they are going on great. I have some kill markings from the Hasegawa kit that I'll probably steal and stick on this one to make it look right. The Shinden really didn't carry many markings, so decaling should be a pretty quick process unless I screw something up.

Thanks for reading in and commenting Kevin :thumbsup:

Matt :party0023:

Hi Matt,

Paint job looks great.

Can not wait to see the landing gear installed.

Regards,

Christian

Thanks Christian! The landing gear should probably be the easiest part of this entire project, it's just black, with the chrome oleo legs. And the Z-M parts just slot right into position with no issues, and perfect alignment.

I'm glad you like the paint work, it's really coming along, and should be done soon, maybe by the end of the week?

Matt

Awesome progress on the finish. Can't believe the Future is on and decaling is right around the corner.

Peter

:speak_cool:

Thanks Peter! Actually, the decaling is already finished, but I don't have the pictures yet. I'll put them up a little bit later. The Techmod decals caused a bunch of problems with breaking up, but I got them on. The rest of the decals are either Z-M or Hasegawa. The next step is another coat of Future, and then some more weathering with an oil wash and exhaust staining.

Thanks for reading in man

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Looking forward to the photos. Stuff that that just shouldn't be happening these days with all that the manufacturers know. Glad you were able to save the day.

Peter

Matt

Looking forward to the photos. Stuff that that just shouldn't be happening these days with all that the manufacturers know. Glad you were able to save the day.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I didn't fully save the day, I have some touch-ups to do, but it's coming along. It was weird, it was just one decal that kept splitting, the other one was perfect.

Here's the update today with all of the decals on.

The Z-M decals are nice, nothing amazing, but they settle down well. They needed some Solvaset and prodding to adhere to the great panel line detail, but after awhile they did. The tail crests are the Techmod markings, and the kill markings under the windshield is a Hasegawa kit decal.

J7WShinden116.jpg

J7WShinden118.jpg

J7WShinden117.jpg

J7WShinden120.jpg

There really aren't many deals on this thing, which I guess is nice, so it was quick to get through this stage, and onto the rest of the stuff.

The second half of this update concerns me getting the landing gear on. The kit gear just clicks into place, unless you're stupid like me and mount it backwards, which didn't go well. After gluing them in, and giving it a couple of hours to set up, I was able to set the Shinden up on its gear. They are probably the tallest landing gear I've ever seen, but are surprisingly strong under the weight of the plane.

J7WShinden121.jpg

J7WShinden123.jpg

J7WShinden122.jpg

J7WShinden119.jpg

J7WShinden115.jpg

J7WShinden124.jpg

Also got the propellor painted with Tamiya XF-64 Red Brown, then mottled with Red Brown mixed with XF-79 Linoleum Deck Brown, which was a lighter, redder shade. I think it looks good. Just need to mask it and paint the yellow stripes, and do a little chipping.

I hope you all like how this is going, it's closer to getting done. I'm thinking it'll be done by the end of the week, just need to weather it a little bit, and flat coat it. :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for reading in, it's great to see people reading. All comments and critiques are welcome.

BEAUTIFUL build of an amazing aircraft! Those Techmod decals ARE thin; glad you were able to negotiate with them. For the fuselage roundels, could you add another on top of the ones you've applied? This is a quick way to make them more opaque.

Cheers,

Tom

BEAUTIFUL build of an amazing aircraft! Those Techmod decals ARE thin; glad you were able to negotiate with them. For the fuselage roundels, could you add another on top of the ones you've applied? This is a quick way to make them more opaque.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom! I'm glad you like it! The Techmod decals were very, very thin, and tore a bit, but I still have to do some touch-ups on the tail crest.

I noticed what you said, and I went and stuck another roundel on top of that one, in order to make it more opaque. Thanks for the great catch, I wouldn't want to get it to a contest, and then get busted because of that decal issue. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the great comments, I'm glad that you like how it's coming out. Should be done Friday or Saturday. The oil wash is done, and it's just down to some airbrush weathering on Friday, then the flat coat.

'Thanks to everyone for reading in. . .'

Hey Man, thanks a heap for sharing.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark! I'm glad you like it. And thank you for reading in and commenting so often. Especially with your amazing P-51 build going on over in the GB. That thing is going to be something special once it's done. :thumbsup:

Thanks for reading in.

I guess you can call this the penultimate post on the Shinden. As of now, the flat coat has been applied, the weathering has been put on with the airbrush, and the masks are of. The only thing left are the wingtip lights, the pitot tube, and the inner gear doors. I'm really happy with how it's all come out, some of the weathering is a bit more subtle than the pictures make it look, I swear.

J7WShinden125.jpg

J7WShinden126.jpg

J7WShinden133.jpg

J7WShinden127.jpg

J7WShinden128.jpg

The black is more subtle in real life, I promise. It's just the camera making it look weird

J7WShinden129.jpg

J7WShinden131.jpg

J7WShinden132.jpg

J7WShinden134.jpg

And all opened up again, I think it looks good with everything opened. I need to paint the inside of the panels, but that's easy enough with the Alclad.

That's it for this one. Thanks to everyone for reading in. I hope you all enjoy how this build has come along, I really think it came out well.

Thanks to everyone for all of the support and comments during this build, they've been a big help. All comments are welcomed on this one, and hopefully I'll get a RFI up soon, and I'll move onto my next project

What an inspiration!

Sincerely,

Mark

Wow, thanks Mark. That's great to hear, especially from someone as talented as you. I'm glad you like how it's coming out. I noticed that the anti-glare is a little off-center, so I have to fix that before I put the last couple of parts on

Thanks for reading in man!