Sukhoi SU-30 MKK

Out2gtcha

Haha actually I work from home and I'm always on the computer (or in the man cave) and I get a pop-up email notification when you post, so I immediately come check it out! You never disappoint!

Ah, now that does explain things! Good to know and thanks for the compliments mate. :D

Well I am on it!

Seems those 6" stilettos you wear round the house were getting a bit tight and you had to take them off????

Right back to da build.

Weathering - oil washes etc - Perfect.

Cans - seriously and I mean SERIOUSLY scary mate.

Best foiling I've ever seen from you!!!!

Shame this custard killer wasn't ready for the Nats, would of swept the board!

Yeah the heels were KILLIN my feet so had to take them off. Plus I got some on CA on my good leather ones. Whats a fella to do??? :lol:

Thanks man, tiz saying something coming from you with all of the clean builds you have done.

"Custard Killer" :lol: lolz

that looks gorges with the metal work done

Nearly there mate - finishing line coming up. :beer:

Taff :D

Thanks man! Spit turned our AWESOME!

Looks like Russian girls are just naturally dirty maybe?

Think I need to take a trip to Russian soon..............*BUH DUM BUM!* :lol:

Oh, man, this is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G .... UNBELIEVABLE. Brian, big respect for this foiling job. :bow: :bow: :bow:

The nacelles look real .... Shocking!

Thanks Tomek....mucho appreciated coming from the clean builder of aircraft born of paper! Lots of stuff and techniques you've used I now have in my arsenal, that I'm DEFINITELY going to use mate. :)

It was Sunday, February 3, 2008 when I received an email from someone named Brian Leitch, who wanted to learn how to foil models. Who are you and what have you done with Brian? :D

For all of you who have ever wanted to foil, but thought it was too much work, Brian has shown just how effective and easy the task can be. Brian has taken foiling to the Master's level, and has become the resident guru of NMF's. Great work Brian! :bow: I certainly hope you enter this in the NATS next year in Florida; that way we all can get to see this museum quality work!

Ken

Thanks man. :blush: Not sure I quite live up to that as you have pretty much taught me all I know about foiling. PLUS if anyone looks at that P/F-82 project of yours, thell know where I learned all my stuff for SURE!

Jeez, that really does take your breath away. What brand foil do you use? I hope you'll write a piece on your techniques, and brands used etc., for the tips section, I know you've been through it before, but it's all buried within build threads.

:bow:

Dont rightly remember what brand I used Andy, as most of the pieces I used were colored up long time ago. Usually though, I go for the thicker Renalds Wrap stuff., as since the chemical treatment basically eats at the foil a bit, it seems to be more survivable. But.............as Ken can tell you, its best to go out and grab as many different kinds and brands of foil as you can, even salvaging some from candy bars or wine bottles. Each of them can create their own unique look with and sometimes without graining.

As for the tips and tricks on foil................

Actually, I'd love for Brian to submit an article for the main website! :coolio:

Kev

Shouldnt be a problem at all Kev. I will be finishing up the SU well.............technically today (YIKES!) after I catch some needed zzzzzzzzzs, then I have to go out of town this weekend and will be starting an article on foiling for the tips section.

Ironically enough, my current for SURE next project will be my 1/2 finished stalled WIP build of my RAAF Has P-40 that will be completely covered in foil, save the noseie parts and spinner and junk.

It's all been said already so I will just add:

:m0152:

Thanks for the kind words Loic..........Ive been following along on the Do335 build and MAN that thing is going to be KILLER! I dont have the orbs for scratch-building a vac atm, but have yours to follow along with until DML or another eventually come out with a 32nd scale one..........I HOPE.

The gear is on, wheels on, doors done and cans are attached!

I just need to permanently attach the Zactoman missiles ( Chris made this hella easy wtih tiny attachment nubs that "click" into place on corresponding recesses in his pylons so should be a breeze) and run a wash of dark dirt or soot in the small panel lines between the Pitz models cans and the foil work , and Im DONE!

I will be taking a "teaser" pic of the finished SU-30 today after I attach the missiles. You guys will have to wait till I get back in town from KC on Sun or Monday to see the final finished girl, when I make a full RFI for the big Russian girl! :lol:

Cheers,

Brian

Didn't realize my feet were in this one! Good thing I trimmed the nails or Phil'd be on me for it. :lol:

DSC03144.jpg

Hmmm...That reminds me that I need to buy the Lord of the rings box set this Christmas...:lol:

Amazing work Brian - it is outstanding in just about every way I can think of...I need a whole new dictionary of expletives accolades for yor work.

Derek

Ok guys…………..today IS the day!

I wrapped the big girl up tonight. Got the gear on and completed.

As ZZ Top would say, She got legs! –

DSC03176.jpg

DSC03181.jpg

DSC03179.jpg

DSC03177.jpg

DSC03178.jpg

DSC03180.jpg

Got the gear doors on and the fiddly bits for the nose gear door actuator, along with the nose gear arm cover and mud guard –

DSC03185.jpg

DSC03183.jpg

Took me some time to figure out the canopy, but that is done as well. Cans are glued in, and secure. I also got the missiles figured out and glued on, but had a slight problem with the port wing AA missile, as I broke a tab off. I got that sorted as well though.

I'm callin this big Russian girl done. My first completed GB, YAY!

One final teaser shot as I have to leave out of town this weekend to Kansas City but will be back on Sun or Mon to take some shots and put up a RFI post.

Thanks again to one and all who followed me on this quite extended journey.

So…………………..looks like there is only one thing left to say after 8 months:

FIN!

DSC03184.jpg

OFFICIAL BUILD TIME:

7 months

30 days

7 hrs

Thanks, cheers, and happy holidays to one and all!

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Need more pics!

Ah yes, yes. Battery ran out on my Sony camera, so Im actually kinda lucky I even got this one shot tonight, as the previous ones were shot a few days ago.

All in due time my friend!

Thanks for looking in on me on the regular Jason. No one needs feedback or nice things said but it sure is nice!

Ill be back late this weekend or early next week and will set up the tri-pod and get some "official like" pics for an upcoming RFI thread. :)

:evil_laugh: :speak_cool: :party0023: :thumbsup: :frantic: :mental: :yahoo: :yahoo: :m0152: :m0152: :clap2: :clap2: :punk: :punk: :bow: :bow: :wow: :wow:..... I smell a National Title. Words cant describe this piece of art. .........Harv (words fail me)

Thanks also to you to Harv! Im not sure about a NATs win again (any podium spot would be a great thing) but right now, Im just worried where the HE double hockey sticks im gonna put this bloomin thing!

I think Im gonna have to pull a Phil and box her up temporarily until the spring sometime, when I can use some tax refund moolah to buy some extra wide glass display cabinets.

Thanks for following along Harv, as this has been the longest and most taxing build I think Ive ever done. Nothing on the big girl is perfectly/exactly the way I want, but we humans cant and aren't perfect, so its all part of (as you said) our art.

Cheers,

Brian

:evil_laugh: :speak_cool: :party0023: :thumbsup: :frantic: :mental: :yahoo: :yahoo: :m0152: :m0152: :clap2: :clap2: :punk: :punk: :bow: :bow: :wow: :wow:..... I smell a National Title. Words cant describe this piece of art. .........Harv (words fail me)

Me 2 ! Can't say any better than Harv !

Hubert.

Edited by MostlyRacers

Well done sir, thanks for sharing the journey with us, this has been one of my favorite build threads of all time! The finished model looks great, so much so that I wouldn't be able to box it up and not enjoy looking at it ;)

Looking forward to the P40 build resuming! In the meantime have a beer sir, you deserve it! :beer4: :beer:

Doug

Me 2 ! Can't say any better than Harv !

Hubert.

Thanks Hubert. :) I know your not a jet guy, so it says a lot to my confidence that you'd look in on my build. Many thanks.

Looks great, looking forward to the finished pics. I'll load them into the gallery once you have them posted.

Ron

Thanks Ron. Hadnt packed for KC yet, and battery was running out so just snapped a quicky. Im on my LT now but when I get back home, Ill post the usual RFI and take more pics than anyone cares to probably look at. :rolleyes:

What a treat! Just awsome!

Well done on that beast mate!

Thank man. Kind words mean a lot considering the quality and intensity of your 335.

Well done sir, thanks for sharing the journey with us, this has been one of my favorite build threads of all time! The finished model looks great, so much so that I wouldn't be able to box it up and not enjoy looking at it ;)

Looking forward to the P40 build resuming! In the meantime have a beer sir, you deserve it! :beer4: :beer:

Doug

Thanks much Doug. Means a lot to have encouragement when the build is just not fun sometimes in certain stages.........................like windscreens for example. :lol:

Thanks guys.

Cheers,

Brian

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Back on line and what do I see: The completion of your magical and awesome build. I'll be spending a few hours reading all the missed posts and updates, but my hat is off to you on the completion of a fantastic build.

:wow: :thumbsup: :yahoo: :wow: :thumbsup: :yahoo: :wow:

Peter