Trumpeter 1/32 RNZAF A-4K "Kahu Upgrade"

That looks sweet. Really great job on those intakes. I look forward to following your build on this one.So you will be holding off until a resin pit and wheelbays are released? Aires said they are coming but would not give me a date.

Hmmmm

Not sure what I could make. I believe Aires are doing cockpit and wheel wells. Perhaps if I could track down another set of Cutting Edge Super Fox intakes I could do another set to cast. But Harolds ones look great if you ask me.

Perhaps we could convince Harold to do an RNZAF Kahu instrument panel??? I could probably do the various antenna, and I have one 5 min from work to measure up that has just been delivered to the RNZAF museum. I have been updating the wing pylons as well...........

Maybe worth considering.

Cheers

Anthony

• 10 months later...

Bit of an update....pics to follow asap.

I have one of the Aires wheel wells in and undercoated white. I could not help myself and even modified the resin parts in a couple of places, along with adding all of the fastener brackets and drilling out the associated holes where the dzus fasteners go.

The top wing is now on on the port side as well. Just cleaning it up and filling a few gaps before I take pics

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Ok guys

Quickly filled a couple of small gaps with superglue sanded it all and primed with Mr Surfacer. Sprayed a very thinned coat of Mr Color lacquer white down as the base for weathering and detail painting later on.....after I finish sorting out the second well.

The Aires parts went in like a dream, absolutely no hassles. The only thing I would make you aware of is making sure you remove the inner resin face to the wells where the 2 will join on the centreline of the aircraft. This will leave two wiring looms visible as per the original this is a straight through piece. There is also a plumbing line to be added for the c/l tank fixture.

As you may notice below, I added a little extra myself (not really needed). I thinned the inside edges and added strip for the door and panel shuts, holes were drilled where appropiate The rear inner door opening has an "L" shaped bracket with 3 fastener holes drilled in it as well. I also added detail on the centreline panel as well as a strip of rod to represent the rear gear door hinge. The rear of the gear bay 'boat fairing' was also opened up as this was open on the actual aircraft and detailed with card and strip. Eventually the MLG ram will pass through there.

All in all I can highly recommend the Aires set.......my pics dont to it justice.

aaa4k008.jpg

aaa4k009.jpg

aaa4k010.jpg

Notice also on this pic that I had to modify the forward undercarriage fairing at the leading edge. This is a comparison as to what it was and what it needs to look like

aaa4k004.jpg

The top surface here shows how nicely the upper wing went on with minimal filler. The only filling was the approach light lens as the later KAHU Birds had this blanked over

Still a lot to go yet as well as scratching a new radar altimeter fairing as the kit one is too skinny

aaa4k007.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks guys, yes Harv I am going to use the Eduard vortex vanes......he says nervously!!

Mark cheers mate, its going to be a long one I think. That A-7 you are building looks impressive as well.

Heh, how did I know you would say that Dave!

Thanks again Grant

Cheers

Anthony

Ok

Bit of a change of pace whilst some parts are setting on the second wheel well.

The nose needs attention. First up the opening on the port side needs the corners to be more rounded and a lip added

aaa4k057.jpg

Also the "Kahu" upgraded birds had the cooling intake on the nose enlarged to help with cooling as it was crammed with the APG-66(NZ) associated electronics.

aaa4k058.jpg

Something of note to all builders of the kit is that the very tip of the nose is a bit flat at the top giving a little upturned nose look. Easily fixed with a few swipes of emery paper and file whilst closely looking at photos. Also the GRP panel on the bottom of the nose needs modifying in the side contours and the forward 1.5mm cut back for the latch mechinasim. Its hard to explain and photos will illustrate. It still needs some refining and tweaking but it is much better at the moment.

aaa4k057.jpg

aaa4k060.jpg

Thanks for looking in as always

Cheers

Anthony