BAe Hawk T1, Revell 1/32nd scale

geedubelyer

Hi Pete, good to see you man, how're things? Glad you're enjoying the build thus far and I'm thrilled that you're getting something out of the build. That's the great thing about forums like these is n't it? There is n't a day goes by without I find out something new from someone.

I appreciate your kind words my friend and I look forward to seeing one of these in your hands.

Hi Derek, thanks for the kind comments. It means alot coming from someone who knows these birds inside and out. Much appreciated, cheers.

Hello Mark, nice to see you here and thanks for your generous words. In truth the Revell parts are pretty good out of the box but I have a thing about landing gear.......and cockpits.........and jet nozzles.........and...... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, with a bit of work they come out ok.

I've been working on the mains for most of the day (I like being on holiday) so here's how they turned out....

First up, the kit part again...

tn_MainLandinggear002.jpg

The finished articles:

tn_MainLandinggear005.jpg

tn_MainLandinggear003.jpg

I added the bulged tyre by heating the plastic and squishing it down onto a cold, flat surface.

tn_MainLandinggear014.jpg

tn_MainLandinggear013.jpg

tn_MainLandinggear015.jpg

With the gear legs out of the way I can get back to the decals and thanks to Paul and Colin I have the necessary items to complete that part of the build.

Keep well all,

:thumbsup:

Edited by geedubelyer

tn_MainLandinggear003.jpg

Hi Brian,

Brilliant work once more - the bulged tyres look very effective :speak_cool: (I generally push the wheel on to a light bulb to achieve the same effect, but with the recent EU ruling on using low energy light bulbs, I no longer have this option!).

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Hi guys, thanks for the kind words of encouragement, very much appreciated, cheers. :beer4:

Thanks for the tip!

Kev

Your welcome Kev. It's important to take care with hollow plastic tyres. Too much heat and they'd become molten blobs of goo so I held the wheel with my fingers. It's a good gauge as to the correct heat, if my fingers are burning and I can't stand the pain then I've got the plastic too close to the bulb...... ;)

I was using a halogen bulb in a reading lamp. I think Dereks alternative of pressing the plastic against a bulb would work equally well with practice.

How come you didn't use the Aeroclub set - I recall you saying you bought some, curious as I've got a few myself.

Hi Andy, good question. I think there has been a link to John's white metal gear legs in this thread somewhere but I never bought any at the time. Two reasons. Firstly, I like to add the odd wire and hose to the gear legs which can mean drilling locating holes. The plastic kit parts are much easier to work with in that case. Secondly, I hoped that the kit parts would be sufficient to take the weight of the finished model. So far, so good. I've mounted the gear now and everything seems stable at the moment.

Here are the latest photos of some progress.

I've added the landing gear, smoke pod and the flaps too.

tn_Generalshots004.jpg

tn_Generalshots005.jpg

(These images were snapped in this morning's glorious sunshine. Since then I've added the remainder of the gear doors and antennas

tn_Generalshots007.jpg

In this close-up image of the light there appears to be what looks like glue residue but as it resembles weathering I think I'll leave it for now. I misted a thin coat of Lifecolor' white Tensochrome weathering agent over the lens to give it a "sand blasted" dullness. (Pics on the net of the full sized light rarely look crystal clear.)

The pitot was sprayed with the three silver metallics in the Citadel Miniatures range starting with Boltgun metal then Chainmail and finishing with Mithril silver. Eventually it will sport a very dashing RBF cover. ;)

The next little detail was brought to my attention by Ken Duffey. Ken kindly posted a couple of images showing Hawks with padlocks securing their locked canopies so just for Ken....

tn_Generalshots008.jpg

...an un-clasped padlock :D

Lastly for today, here's a look at the jet pipe cover.

tn_Generalshots003.jpg

I used cling film sprayed with Tamiya TS paint. I've since added the straps that hold the cover in place. These run down to the leading edge of each ventral fin. I'm using the same technique on the intake covers too.

I seem to have very few bits left in the box now so once I've completed the airbrake and it's associated pipework I'll post some images up in Ready for Inspection.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and add your comments everyone and special thanks to Paul and Colin without whos help I would n't have got this one done :thumbsup:

Your support, encouragement and enthusiasm has been truly splendid, cheers. :beer4:

Edited by geedubelyer

Thanks Obant, glad you like the bits I've done.

The photos in RFI have been well recieved so this is sort of an afterthought really but I still had to finish the airbrake. The most complicated portion was the plumbing which I fabricated from wire and micro tubing. The piston was a short length of chrome tube.

tn_Airbrakeplumbing002.jpg

tn_Airbrakeplumbing003.jpg

tn_Airbrake004.jpg

Just two RBF tags and the sensor on the nose to finish now, neither of which really requires documenting so I'll call this thread done.

A final thanks to everyone who contributed, glad you enjoyed the ideas and progress.

Cheers,

Guy