Erich Hartmann, Ace of Aces, Bf109G-14

dodgem37

Ray - a tulip G-10. I could do that! I would love to see imagery of that plane. I wonder if it is an accurate representation? No matter, really, at least to me. Do the wings have the K-4 'bulge', or the G-14 'bulge'?

Thank you, Blackbetty.

Matt - It too was a bit of a shock to me when putting the mud on. I had not seen anything like it prior to what I had done, and I wondered about it. But I just said to myself, let's see how it turns out and if I can make it work. If it doesn't, at least it's done on water soluable paint and I can remove it. I just applied some Graphic Design concepts to it and it worked out. This is the build I put on the back burner so I could finish the Hartmann aircraft. Shameless plug:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=29729&st=0

Once I finish this I'm going to break out the Academy SUFA and put on inert ordnance. It should be very colorful.

David, Coogrfan, Moeggo, and Mikester - Thank you for your generous comments.

Work and being away over the weekends has cut into my LSP viewing pleasure so I'm not around or posting as much as before but I would like to say that some wonderful work has been going on in my absence. Good show, guys.

Thank you everyone.

Sincerely,

Mark

Ray - a tulip G-10. I could do that! I would love to see imagery of that plane. I wonder if it is an accurate representation? No matter, really, at least to me. Do the wings have the K-4 'bulge', or the G-14 'bulge'?

Mark, one of the last wartime photos taken of Hartmann was after a sortie where he scored victories 349 and 350. It's an Erla production G-10, which has led to speculation that he might not have flown a K-4, but he stated in interviews that he did. An Erla G-10 is probably more interesting than a K-4 anyway, it did have the wing bulges like the K-4 although I believe they were a little different from a WNF G-10 (which are represented in the Hasegawa kit).

2629518930_1.jpg

Hartmann.jpg

I believe this is what the museum was going for. It appears to be an Erla production G-10 with the large wing bulges going from leading edge back. The nose has no yellow on it, just the tulip. The personal heart symbol w/ name is below cockpit. Their camo scheme is painted in greys. I dont remember other markings. I gotta pic or two around here somewhere, but it might be faster to just run iut there again!

I do have to say, many of the museums schemes reflect whose pilot tgey want to represemt, and are not always accurate to the a/c subtype. I.e, they have a P-40K done up as a Flying Tiger, for a pilot that did not fly for the USAAF, he became a test pilot for Republic for remainder of the war.

Mark, one of the last wartime photos taken of Hartmann was after a sortie where he scored victories 349 and 350. It's an Erla production G-10, which has led to speculation that he might not have flown a K-4, but he stated in interviews that he did. An Erla G-10 is probably more interesting than a K-4 anyway, it did have the wing bulges like the K-4 although I believe they were a little different from a WNF G-10 (which are represented in the Hasegawa kit).

2629518930_1.jpg

Hartmann.jpg

Mikester, Ray,

It's interesting to me that Hartmann would receive an Erla aircraft when WNF would have been more local to him.

I know it's been stated that late in the war the manufacturers used what assemblies were available to construct an aircraft, but this may be the first time I have really noticed, and paid the slightest bit of attention to, the variations of a base plane. Here, a G-10 fuselage is with 'G-6' wings. The cover painting on the Erich Hartmann authorized biography is a G-14 with 'K-4' wings. I suppose its an accurate depiction since the book was written with Hartmanns review and approval.

This is interesting to me. It opens up the possibility of mixing and matching parts. The markings would be fictional, but the model could be an assemblage of parts from derelict aircraft that are used to patch up a wounded bird that is still in flying condition. But one would have to be careful about the tires. I think a K-4 wing used a wider tire than a G-14 wing. I'll have to check. Got to make sure the right tire is used, otherwise the tire police would get you. The paint scheme has dramatic possibilities.

many of the museums schemes reflect whose pilot tgey want to represemt, and are not always accurate to the a/c subtype. I.e, they have a P-40K done up as a Flying Tiger, for a pilot that did not fly for the USAAF, he became a test pilot for Republic for remainder of the war.

Perpetuating false and inaccurate historical information. Hmm.

Thank you, Dave, for such a nice compliment.

Thanks for stopping by.

Sincerely,

Mark

I'll echo the other's comments by a resounding "Great Job!" I do have a quick question though. I noticed on the tail you did not use the swastika. Is that a photographic edit or is that something that you chose not to put on the model?

I agree with everyone when they said that this is by far, the best bf 109 model to date. For once, the ace of aces' aircraft has been given a "seasoned" look, with all the wear and tear toning down the prominent black tulip. This is pleasing to the eye, with the amount of detail and time you've devoted to the model, as well as the smooth paint finish. Those mud streaks from the wheels are a nice touch.

All this needs now is a simplistic display base to call home. Congratulations on a jaw-dropper :)