F-4 Phantom II

Barry

Bearing in mind that the Mc Donnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II is considered to be among the greatest fighter aircraft ever developed (please forgive my favoritism) and of interest to many of our members here; would it be possible develop a Pinned topic containing links to builds and discussions of the Phantom?

We have many extremely talented modelers doing awesome work here but unless you catch the topic when it is first posted it becomes harder to find as the days pass.

I know there are other aircraft that have the same level of interest to members here like the P-51, Spitfire, and many others.

Can the search engine be tuned to provide a option of a "Topic Title" Search (only)? I find the current search to return too many topics that only have the search word or phrase contained some where within them.

Just a thought, Barry

Edited by Barry

Having a quick way to access threads for specific aircraft would be great. I often find myself stumbling about looking for a build I knew I saw somewhere. It would be nice if we had an article or photostory for all the completed builds but searching through the existing articles is very cumbersome. There is so much great info on LSP, it's just a bit tough to find. Guttorm's Ju88 thread is a treasure trove of information as is his F-86 data. I know we have a walkaround section but I don't often consider it and end up googling for the data I want.

Searching LSP would be easier if everyone (I am a big culprit on this) simply used the aircraft type as the title but what fun is that. ;)

Just my two cents.

Matt

Searching LSP would be easier if everyone (I am a big culprit on this) simply used the aircraft type as the title but what fun is that. ;)

That's actually the gist of the problem Matt. As long as people insist on using topic titles like "Check this out!" or "My next build", searching will remain difficult. No amount of 'tuning' will help this (and it's not actually possible anyway). Cryptic, cute or ambiguous topic titles contribute significantly to the degradation in utility of the forum's search facility.

Kev

Kev, I have been trying to put the actual aircraft designation in the secondary title of the thread to aid in searches. Does the existing search engine cover this line of the title?

I'm not sure to be honest, but it's better to do it the other way around in any case. Topic titles are very much like newspaper headlines, in that they need to be short, and to the point (they have a maximum of 70 characters actually). Unlike newspapers, we have the luxury of subtitles, so the witty/cryptic stuff can go there.

As it stands at the moment, the best way to search this (or any other) forum is via Google. Just append "site:forum.largescaleplanes.com" to your search terms and Google will find what you're looking for.

Kev

I've been poking around the new forum software to see if a Google search interface can be used to replace the very limited 'engine' that comes with the software. All the major search engines crawl our site daily and index pretty much everything on here, so all that info is already there. If I can figure out a way to incorporate that into our pages it will help tremendously. We shall see....