The usual suspects...

By ANDY BRAZIER

Trumpeter's 2011/2012 catalogue has been released and the line up of kits to be released over the next couple of years is impressive to say the least.

Every scale from 1/24th to 1/200th with aircraft from World War 2 to modern aircraft is taken care of.

1/24th

02402 - P-51B/C Mustang III

02419 - Fw 190A-6/8

02420 - Ju-87D-3 Stuka

1/32nd

02211 - P-40M Kitty Hawk

02212 - P-40N Kitty Hawk

02226 - TBD-1 Devastator

02246 - F-100F Super Sabre

02249 - A-6A Intruder

02250 - A-6E Intruder

02252 - A-1D Skyraider

02266 - A-4E Skyhawk

02269 - P-40E Kitty Hawk

02277 - Su-25UB Frogfoot

02287 - Harrier GR.Mk 7

02290 - Messerschmitt bf 109 E-4/Trop

03213 - Ju-87A Stuka

From Aeroscale.

MBB

Shamelessly taken from Matt Roberts thread on Britmodeller

Here is a post by Dave Mason concerning the Trumpeter 32nd/Hobbyboss 48th Intruder over on Zone Five this weekend

<quote>Hi Guys,

The 1/32 Trumpeter A-6A and A-6E Intruder kits are still in the works. They were placed on the back burner for a while because of the 1/48th scale Trumpeter (aka Hobby Boss) Intruder kits.

It was decided (at the highest levels at Trumpeter) to accelerate the 1/48th scale Hobby Boss Intruder kits to compete directly with the new Kinetic Intruder/Prowler kits. Kinetic's new 1/48th scale EA-6B Prowler is already out and Trumpeter thinks it will be followed closely by a new 1/48th scale A-6E TRAM Intruder kit. So Trumpeter wants to beat Kinetic to the hobby shelves with their own 1/48th scale A-6E TRAM Intruder kit. Sometime in 2011 1/48th scale modelers will have two brand new A-6E TRAM Intruder kits to chose from.

LATER.......IN......2011........OR.........POSSIBL Y.........IN......2012...........1/32 scale modelers will have their wishes come true and they too will have a brand new 1/32 scale A-6A and A-6E TRAM Intruder kit to munch on. The 1/32 A-6A and A-6E kits are already listed in Trumpeters 2011-2012 catalog but there is no specific release date. They will happen but we will have to wait.

One thing to keep in mind is that by producing the 1/48 Intruder kits first we can nit pick them to death and get Trumpeter to fix any mistakes BEFORE the 1/32 kits come out. Sure it is Utopianly desired that all mistakes are removed from both the 1/48th and 1/32 scale kits but based on past history that's unrealistic.

So hang in there, the wait will be worth it.

Dave Mason

IPMS Philippines<quote>

Dave is in the Phillipines and has been a conduit of information on Trumpeter over the years

Which is ultimately good news, no?

Who cares?

Yeah, I agree. So what?

Trumpeter has this habit of announcing kits for the following year and then does not issue them until four to six years later.

Its like the boy who cried wolf. Our initial enthusiasm is long gone by the time they finally issue the kits.

If and when they finally present us with the 1/32 scale kits that I am interested in, the TBD, Skyraider and the Ju-87A, I'll be mighty cold about them. Do I really want to spend over $150 for a box full of plastic parts?

Then I look at the rejuvenated Revell Company. They announce a new kit (or leak the info) and actually release it within a time range of 1 to 1 1/2 years. Not only that, the price is quite reasonable. The Arado will sell for $40 or so and the He-111 may be in the $125 range. I can live with that price for a large 2 engine bomber kit.

Same thing with WingnutWings and Wingscale. Wait a year or so and then a fine model at a reasonable price.

Trumpeter is very good at blowing their own horn, but hot air does not cut it with me.

Stephen

No offense meant here, but i am often puzzled by the great mysteries of the universe.

Why do i have a stash full of great kits, but build nothing?

Does dark energy really exist?

Womens logic? (gave up on that one)

Why are modelers, who should have tons of it, so short on patience?

I posted this because now, planes that have been eagerly awaited, have made it to Trumpeters catalog.

And i'm still gonna get the TBD for my stash.

MBB

I wonder how many TBD's will be built when Trumpeter finally releases it.

I've noticed before on LSP that there is a lot of impatience for a kit to come out,

but after it's released you may see one or two builds.

Like the Il-2 for instance.

While w'ere on the subject of hot air.....

Cheers,

Jeroen

Edited by jeroenpeters

Since The TBD was announced, Wing nutwings has been started, and released all of their kits to date, to a higher standard than any trump kit, and each with markings for 5 aircraft. I'd like a TBD, but I'm just not holding my breath any more on "announced" kits. Revell will have the He-111 out before the TBD, and if they do a Do-17, odds are it will be released before as well. The Lizards Do-335? Matty is taking odds on that being ahead of the TBD.

Since The TBD was announced, Wing nutwings has been started, and released all of their kits to date, to a higher standard than any trump kit, and each with markings for 5 aircraft. I'd like a TBD, but I'm just not holding my breath any more on "announced" kits. Revell will have the He-111 out before the TBD, and if they do a Do-17, odds are it will be released before as well. The Lizards Do-335? Matty is taking odds on that being ahead of the TBD.

Good point about the changing modelling landscape--I don't think there's been a time like this I can remember, even when I was a kid, where so much new stuff in 1/32 is popping up like mushrooms. I was all geared up to do modern Soviet stuff (two MiG-23s, an SU-25) then Wingnut Wings dropped an RE-8, a DH-9a and the Gotha into the mix and I totally changed my 2011 build schedule...insofar as I actually have one.

When I really got back into modelling after Grad School, my focus was going to be on the Pacific War. Then I got distracted by all the new Trumpeter, WNW and other offerings out there.

So it's nice to see Trumpeter is still planning to do this kits--I'm patient. It's not like I'm lacking for things to build!

My $0.02

Tim W.

Same thing with WingnutWings and Wingscale. Wait a year or so and then a fine model at a reasonable price.

Trumpeter is very good at blowing their own horn, but hot air does not cut it with me.

Stephen

I disagree.

I do not think WNW kits (or Wingscale) will become cheaper after a year.

WNW kits getting more expensive even! One seaters went from 59 to 69 dollars. Two seaters from 79 to 89 dollars.

Trumpeter is not good at blowing their own horn at all. Even if it's a good pun.

They communicate poorly. Have you seen their website? The only means of communication we have with them is mr. Song

and the Philippines IPMS site.

Let's keep it real.

I've noticed before on LSP that there is a lot of impatience for a kit to come out,

Cheers,

Jeroen

Agreed. I have an entire basement full of kits that I absolutely “had to have”. It’s mighty odd that some of them have been sitting down there for twenty years now! For that reason, I seldom purchase kits as they are released, preferring instead to wait until the price drops to a level that’s agreeable with my budget. The only recent exceptions are my Roden tripe, and two WNW kits. When will I build them? Who knows.

Diligence pays off. I wanted a Tamiya A6M5 for quite a while, but just wasn’t up to the $100 plus price tag. When I finally ran into a complete kit for $40 at a show, I jumped all over it. That was over a year ago, and I haven’t touched it since.

Alrighty then, My turn:

The 1/32 Trumpeter A-6A and A-6E Intruder kits are still in the works. They were placed on the back burner for a while because of the 1/48th scale Trumpeter (aka Hobby Boss) Intruder kits.

From a manufacturers point of veiw, this make good sense to me.

It was decided (at the highest levels at Trumpeter) to accelerate the 1/48th scale Hobby Boss Intruder kits to compete directly with the new Kinetic Intruder/Prowler kits.

And his make good sense to me.

One thing to keep in mind is that by producing the 1/48 Intruder kits first we can nit pick them to death and get Trumpeter to fix any mistakes BEFORE the 1/32 kits come out. Sure it is Utopianly desired that all mistakes are removed from both the 1/48th and 1/32 scale kits but based on past history that's unrealistic.

This makes very good sense to me.

Kinetic's new 1/48th scale EA-6B Prowler is already out, so Trumpeter wants to beat Kinetic to the hobby shelves with their own 1/48th scale A-6E TRAM Intruder kit.

But I'm not so sure about this. As long as it is better and people know it's coming, they will buy it instead.

So the TBD is still TBD?

Sorry, couldn't resist... :P

Tim W.

:D Nice, Well done. (Or should that be: TBA for the TBD?)

No offense meant here, but i am often puzzled by the great mysteries of the universe.

Why do i have a stash full of great kits, but build nothing?

Does dark energy really exist?

Womens logic? (gave up on that one)

Why are modelers, who should have tons of it, so short on patience?

I posted this because now, planes that have been eagerly awaited, have made it to Trumpeters catalog.

And i'm still gonna get the TBD for my stash.

MBB

Good point but this kit was announced in 2006, how much patience am I supposed to have?

I wonder how many TBD's will be built when Trumpeter finally releases it.

Like the Il-2 for instance.

While w'ere on the subject of hot air.....

Cheers,

Jeroen

Also a good point but don't forget, for every active member on LSP, there's about ten visitors. We are but a small portion of the modelling population.

Also, manufacturers are not always worried if you build them, they just want you to buy them.(I do understand what you mean though, I've got two Ju 88s in my stash and I've barely looked at them... one day I will)

Who cares?

:) It's starting to get a bit this way, which is why I'm refusing to add announced kits to the LSP Database untill I'm really sure they are on thier way... Although, I did add the Intruder (A moment of weakness)

Thanks for posting the list, Mike.

Discussion is healthy but I rally must go do some painting.

Edited by Allok

Wouldn't it be fun when i have the TBD on 20th Dec 2012?

Thinking "tomorrow i am really gonna start building this kit".

MBB

Yeah, I really dont have any thing special planned for the 21st of Dec 2012. (he said whilst flipping through his Mayan calender)