Did I miss the announcement? Dragon 1/32 Me-109E

Aerobat

For those interested in the mystery of the canopy hood of the B of B Museum's Bf 109:

Circa early 1941 while being test-flown for Rolls-Royce at Hucknall, the canopy hood was removed for the benefit of pilot Harvey Hayworth who was over 6 feet tall. It was then mislaid - never to be seen again! After being placed in long-term storage at No.16 MU it reappeared in September 1952 in a display on Horse Guards Parade sporting an Erlahaube. Circa 1970/71 it was on display again but this time with a canopy centre section borrowed from the G 'Black 6' which it retained until 1974/75 when it was replaced by a dummy canopy section made for one of the 109 cockpit props for the Battle of Britain film and which as I understand, it wears to this day.

HTH

Dave

For those interested in the mystery of the canopy hood of the B of B Museum's Bf 109:

Circa early 1941 while being test-flown for Rolls-Royce at Hucknall, the canopy hood was removed for the benefit of pilot Harvey Hayworth who was over 6 feet tall. It was then mislaid - never to be seen again! After being placed in long-term storage at No.16 MU it reappeared in September 1952 in a display on Horse Guards Parade sporting an Erlahaube. Circa 1970/71 it was on display again but this time with a canopy centre section borrowed from the G 'Black 6' which it retained until 1974/75 when it was replaced by a dummy canopy section made for one of the 109 cockpit props for the Battle of Britain film and which as I understand, it wears to this day.

HTH

Dave

Not many 6 foot pilots in the Luftwaffe :evil_laugh:

The infamous canopy in question

262358437.jpg

I wish they would make a new proper E-4 canopy for the poor thing.

While being test flown the canopy was uh... misplaced?

"Right..... we'll take that big bit off, in you go, have a great flight."

Pilot lands 2 hours later.... "righto, good flight?" .... now where is that big, heavy flat bit??"

Prolly in someone back yard, serving as a greenhouse for exotic flower growing.

While being test flown the canopy was uh... misplaced?

Did they have Ebay back in '41? I'm sure they would have done a great trade selling old aeroplane bits back to each.

I wonder what Görings user name would have been?

I see that Dragon have engineered the props so you can turn them around. No chance of getting them back to front this time!

Unfortunately, Dragon is in Huge Error with the canopy, damn it, I was right....

I hope they will correct the error ASAP ?

Otherwise, I will never spend my hard earned on something very hibrid in my eyes

Al the more as I anticipate the kit to be much more expensive than Hasegawa 109 F, the former has an engine, etc

Bogdan

I guess maybe because I'm neither an Me109 expert or maybe I'm just sick of all the ultra scrutinizing or what-ever seems to go on with these types of releases but.......................................

It looks like a freaking Me109 to me.

Done.

There are 5 of them to choose from in 1/32 scale.

Dont like it? Dont buy it. Buy one of the OTHER 4 available in this scale.

Can we NOT send another thread like this down the toilet please?!? ^_^ Im interested in hearing about a new release...........maybe even if it is another 109.......but I'm NOT particularly interested in hearing about all the reasons why people arnt going to buy this particular kit.

Im sure corrections can be suggested, but this kind of tug and pull gets really old when it ALWAYS shows up with a new release, particularly Luftwaffe releases, and that seems to become the only thing people can talk about.

RANT OVER

Brian

I guess maybe because I'm neither an Me109 expert or maybe I'm just sick of all the ultra scrutinizing or what-ever seems to go on with these types of releases but.......................................

It looks like a freaking Me109 to me.

Done.

There are 5 of them to choose from in 1/32 scale.

Dont like it? Dont buy it. Buy one of the OTHER 4 available in this scale.

Can we NOT send another thread like this down the toilet please?!? ^_^ Im interested in hearing about a new release...........maybe even if it is another 109.......but I'm NOT particularly interested in hearing about all the reasons why people arnt going to buy this particular kit.

Im sure corrections can be suggested, but this kind of tug and pull gets really old when it ALWAYS shows up with a new release, particularly Luftwaffe releases, and that seems to become the only thing people can talk about.

RANT OVER

Brian

I agree with you Brian...on the other hand, I feel no sympathy whatsoever for a manufacturer that feels it is a good idea to tread again a well beaten path. If you're #5 on the list of releases of the same subject, you better make sure that your offer is vastly superior to any previous one, and has taken into account the mistakes done before...or you've got an overwhelming price advantage versus established competition...

If you want praise for your "new" work, be original (and you'll be forgiven a lot, but not all), or be bloody perfect when you're the umpteenth to deal with an iconic subject, or better, be both, and then you'll become the new standard à la Wingnut Wings !

Hubert.

I agree with you Brian...on the other hand, I feel no sympathy whatsoever for a manufacturer that feels it is a good idea to tread again a well beaten path. If you're #5 on the list of releases of the same subject, you better make sure that your offer is vastly superior to any previous one, and has taken into account the mistakes done before...or you've got an overwhelming price advantage versus established competition...

If you want praise for your "new" work, be original (and you'll be forgiven a lot, but not all), or be bloody perfect when you're the umpteenth to deal with an iconic subject, or better, be both, and then you'll become the new standard à la Wingnut Wings !

Hubert.

Good point Hubert. I guess THAT is part of it as well..............why another 109? And as you said.......if your 5th in line it better be vastly superior. It just gets a bit old when ALL we hear about is complaining, seemingly most of it occurring before anyone even has the kit in hand.

Brian

I agree the canopy appears to be off, and will indeed need to be corrected before release in order to be a hot seller with 109 lovers. Fortunately, it is just one small sprue, so they might do it. Otherwise, looks like it might be a decent kit. I wonder why these manufacturers (Eduard -who fixed their E4/7 canopy, and now Dragon) seem to have so much trouble with 109E canopies?

For Brian - gee this new kit has lots of neato cool features that make it awesome. Is that better, and what you want to hear? Seriously dude - you want to just have someone blow sunshine up your arse and tell you everything is great instead of discussing intelligently whether a new kit accurately represents the subject it is supposed to be? I don't see anyone (except maybe Bogdan, to whom English is not his primary language so I'll cut him some slack), getting all bent out of shape about any issues except for you.

Cheers,

Doug

For Brian - gee this new kit has lots of neato cool features that make it awesome. Is that better, and what you want to hear? Seriously dude - you want to just have someone blow sunshine up your arse and tell you everything is great instead of discussing intelligently whether a new kit accurately represents the subject it is supposed to be? I don't see anyone (except maybe Bogdan, to whom English is not his primary language so I'll cut him some slack), getting all bent out of shape about any issues except for you.

First off..........Unnecessary.

Second. NOT my point. My point was that ANY discussion is valid IF you have the kit it hand...as well as the fact that people only seem to focus on the negative without ever pointing out anything else............Everyone including yourself who thinks they "are right" about any kit is only talking speculative until they have seen the kit............so............then......

YOU have this kit in hand I take it? Ah ok, good, then you'll be the expert who all will turn to.....

cause, I mean otherwise you would really have no proof what your saying if you've never actually seen let alone inspected the kit. No, you dont have the kit?............ You've never even seen it in person? Ah.........

Then I suggest waiting till the you get it before you start blasting away it like every other 109 thread out there. You'll get your chance to tear it apart im sure........so calm yourself.

Discussing intelligently? Great. Take a page from Phil B's 109 thread and start suggesting how to correct it once you get the kit in hand......but try waiting till you have actually seen the kit before you start ripping it up.

Brian