Fw190 D-9 "Red 18" I./Erg. KG (J) Plzeň, Czechoslovakia

nmayhew

Jerry and Tudor thank you both for your interest and kind words

@Kagemusha

oh i see - sadly i didn't take pics that way

i might re-tape it and have another look from underneath tomorrow maybe

@JamesH

so can i ask, did you glue the 3 main resin pieces together before you attached them to the kit wing?

cheers guys

Nick

hi,

lots of fiddling and not too much actual modelling today

i will be using Modelmaster 151s in the wings

IMG_7588.jpg

IMG_7594.jpg

the pictures really do not do these barrels justice - they are awesome!

IMG_7592.jpg

here is what the kit area would look like without resin etc

IMG_7606.jpg

here are the mm barrels with the aires wells - note i will have to trim the gun "stubs" for the barrels to protrude the right length

IMG_7611.jpg

IMG_7612.jpg

here is the wheel well back plate "post snip"!

IMG_7614.jpg

the barrels are dry fitted in there in this pic (using 0.95mm drill bit)

IMG_7615.jpg

and finally i glued the dihedral brace to the lower wing and let that set...

IMG_7616.jpg

that's it for now i'm afraid

nick

BTW, I forgot to mention another source of workshop pics.

Follow this: http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Ausstellungen.html Then watch at "Ausstellungen" for the annual Gatow lines. If you scroll down the images, you will find a lot more images of a dismantled Dora and another Anton. Other interesting stuff too, like an opened V-1 and close-ups of a Henschel guided bomb.

Regards!

- dutik

ok quick update before i start tucking into the home-made egg-nog!! :BANGHEAD2:

i looked at JamesH's build and decided to glue the 3 main pieces of the wheel well together - this would mean the "gaps" would be at either end near the landing gear rather than right in the main bit of each well

IMG_7617.jpg

i also glued the part linking the two sides of the wheel well; this will make making the MG chutes a bit trickier but that seemed less important than getting the wheel wells all set up correctly

IMG_7624.jpg

it was a nice fit

IMG_7626.jpg

and will only need the most minor of sanding on one join...

IMG_7633.jpg

now addressing those gaps ("dear gaps..." :) )

thin evergreen rod applied in 3 stages - looks fiddly, but was actually VERY easy

it will help the alignment of the resin piece(s) and is less messy than puttying etc

IMG_7637.jpg

IMG_7640.jpg

more in a minute...

inserted the engine plug after some minor sanding to make the fit almost loose - i didn't want it bulging the fuselage out - then taped up

IMG_7683.jpg

and superglued where the roof of the plug meets the flat bit in the picture...

IMG_7684.jpg

then glued underneath at the other end, and the fuselage is already rock solid

IMG_7686.jpg

now back to the cockpit whilst all that was hardening off

dry brushed with tamiya aluminium and a designated (knackered) drybrushing brush!

realised the seat refused to align properly, possibly because of the yellow cabling, so that got the snip!

IMG_7689.jpg

after 15mins of fiddling i got frustrated - the cockpit just will not accept the seat in middle

IMG_7691.jpg

i even resorted to snapping of the seat brackets and replacing them with rod after i had glued the seat in place

IMG_7698.jpg

basically i think this is MDC rather than me, but i might be wrong...it has been known :BANGHEAD2:

glued the pedals etc on to the end...

IMG_7693.jpg

first instrument panel

IMG_7697.jpg

then the seatbelts - these are still in gloss so i will have to give it another dullcoat

i was thinking of putting future on the dials, but since some of the decals don't actually match up with the dial indents in the resin, i gave up on that idea

IMG_7701.jpg

i think they look quite cool; i still have to add using fine lead wire the attachment bracket etc for the belts to the cockpit back, as i snapped these off when first preppping the cockpit

IMG_7702.jpg

and so it's almost done...

IMG_7703.jpg

IMG_7704.jpg

that's all for now

Nick

Nicely done Nick. I like the common sense approach you are using to problem solve. The harness looks the bees knees. Just a reminder to paint the lever in the LH lower instrument panel before you finish...I would probably be forgetting something like that in all the excitment of installation and it is a pain :)

Keep the good work coming :whistle:

Regards

Love the work you've done in the office. That is impressive for sure, and the Masters barrels, I've heard a lot of good things about them. Can't wait to see them first hand (got some on order).

Can't wait to see more! Loving it!

Cheers,

Mark.

IMG_7132.jpg

then sprayed gently in quick sweeps the parts with tamiya rattle can primer - this stuff stinks (well smells quite nice actually, but i'm sure people who sniff glue say the same thing!!) and leaves a fine powdery dust everywhere

i wish i had a proper booth

Nick

You might consider one of these, just bolt it on, run flex dryer duct to a window, and voila! Instant paint booth. I use one of these on my setup, and 273 CFM should be more than adequate.

step one was to clean / degrease everything...

IMG_7114.jpg

unorthodox maybe, but it's a nice big bath (although i did go over the top with the detergent!) and easy to shower everything off afterwards!

What, you have no swimming pool? :closedeyes:

hi guys

thanks for your kind words and also for the blower suggestion - i know i should, but it's a question of getting round to it...

anyway, update time...

i glued the rest of the fuselage together without incident, and inserted the backplate of the cockpit - this fit nicely, courtesy of test fitting beforehand :speak_cool:

IMG_7705.jpg

here i test fit the instrument panel cover from MDC: yes it is the piece which being waaay to small has just fallen through the fuselage!

IMG_7706.jpg

i'm not too worried as it is only out by a mm or so either side, which is easy enough fix with some plastic rod and some putty (haven't decided exactly how); either way, it would have been nice if the piece was right in the first place

oh, if you think the fuselage looks "off", it is just the way i cut the bits off to make way for the resin part

IMG_7708.jpg

everything aligns up pretty well at this stage, and i just have to do some more sanding where i will fit the resin bit

i moved back to the wheel wells, where aires gives you these 2 bits...

IMG_7709.jpg

...to go into the slots in the the 2 "grooves" you see at either side in this pic:

IMG_7710.jpg

problem is that in this ref pic, it looks like you should be able to see through the grooves if understand what i mean?

IMG_7712.jpg

so i chopped and sanded the resin bits to make them more of an "arch":

IMG_7719.jpg

and hey presto!

IMG_7724.jpg

more in minute...