Hasegawa Avia S-92

LSP_Kevin

Kev,

Absolutely blown away by this build :speak_cool:

One thing though...should the front LG have the scissor link? I thought that was only on the earlier 262 versions and removed for later ones. Most photos I have seen do not carry it, unless of course you have a reference that shows it for White 3?

Regards

Thanks for the kind words guys. Still going to be tough to get this done in less than 2 weeks!

One thing though...should the front LG have the scissor link?

You're quite right mate, it probably shouldn't have. I've seen a few photos with it installed, but I doubt 'white 3' did. It's a minor inaccuracy that I'm going to have to live with, as I didn't realise the mistake until the nose leg was already painted and weathered, and given that it's the Trumpeter metal unit, I don't like my chances of a neat removal!

Kev

OK, just a quick update to keep me motivated. I separated the elevators, more because they looked really dodgy OOB, than because I wanted repositioned control surfaces:

RFYUso.jpg

I also detailed the rudder with a trim-tab actuator:

2QWFTT.jpg

The actuator rod is a section of .009 guitar string, and the housing is fashioned from aluminium insulation tape. The attachment tab for the rod is a piece of scrap styrene. It's a little over-scale I think, but hopefully acceptable.

Lastly, I've begun working on a scratch-built replacement for the nose bay door:

JAtI7R.jpg

All the kit's landing gear doors need scratch-built replacements, so let's hope I have time to do them!

As always, thanks for looking in. And thanks for enduring my poor photography!

Kev

Nice to see you doing some scratch building Kev...this is going to be a fantastic end result! ......I also need some motivation as I'm currently building a 1:48 scale F-14D over on Brit Modellers and I think I have chosen the wrong subject as I'm as bored as bored can be with it :(

Edited by fozzy

Karl, Martin, Dan - you're kind words are all much appreciated!

By the way where are you going to show this 262 once you're finished?

My daughter's scout group will be running their 2nd annual model show the weekend after this one (Sunday April 3), which they're hoping to continue with as a fund-raising venture. So, naturally, I'm keen to fly the flag of support by getting this thing ready to enter. I have other models I can fall back on if need be, but I'd prefer to debut this one. And having the extra motivation is always useful!

Anyway, failing that, it should still be done by Expo.

Kev

Motivated indeed.

How about you bring her up to NSW for the show on the 30 April/01 May and show her off in person? Plenty of room at my house (well a spare bed and some floor!)for the weekend (hmmm some may interpret that as an open invitation...should I tell the wife or just surprise her with it?) :DodgeBall:

And if you spend too much at the swap and sell and run out of room you can always leave the 262 with me for safe keeping :evil_laugh:

Regards

Edited by Kahunaminor

Kent, I always appreciate your encouragement, and your enthusiasm for this build is wonderful to me. I wish I could make that weekend!

In the meantime, a quick update to keep me honest. I had been wrangling with myself about the best approach to take with the undercarriage doors. The kit ones really need to be tossed away, and all-new ones scratch built. I didn't feel that I had enough time to replace them all from scratch, so I opted for expedient compromise. I replaced the nose bay doors completely with scratch built parts, but the main gear doors were modified as appropriate from the kit parts.

The main challenge was the inner doors for the main wheel bay. They're complex in both design and detail, but the Hasegawa parts are flat, and the wrong shape to boot. I decided to live with the shape, but add as much representative detail as I could:

3Aqzuz.jpg

Here they are after painting and weathering:

YqD0uF.jpg

The holes are to locate the retraction pistons, which I've yet to scratch build (what, more of the damn things?). Of course, I managed to place them incorrectly - they should be equidistant from the top edge, not the bottom one! :BANGHEAD2: Ah well, one retraction arm on each door will be noticeably longer than the other.

Oh, and the photos suck for a different reason this time: they're taken with my iPhone, as my wife ran away with the camera for the weekend.

More soon!

Kev