Trumpeter F4U-1D Replacement Cowling

ChrisS

Chris,

Here are some shots I hope will help. First is out of the book Famous Aircraft of the World on the F4U Corsair by Richard Carauna and published by Squadron Signal/Periscopio Publications (credit given here). These photos helped me a lot when I was building my -1D. By the way, the cowling on the -1D is considerably different than on the -4.

Second is a shot of the inside of the cowling I did for my Corsair (you may have already seen this on my WIP).

Best,

John

Once again, I feel a little silly. This book was just received by me, and I haven't even looked at it yet! :coolio:

Add me to the list of interested customers.

The perforated cowlring stiffeners can be done very nicely in photo-etched. I can help you with that if you wish.

Radu

@ Kevin: More great pics, thanks!!

@ Radub and Pete G: Added both of you guys.

@ Radu: Interesting idea on the PE stiffeners. Perhaps the internal engine mount supports (with lightening holes) that can be seen inside the cowling in the picture below, right below the reduction housing could be done this way too? PM me your email address and we'll chat offline eh?

post-8159-1273182549.jpg

Surface Prep

Here I'm taking care of the last little flaws in the surface, locally applying more Mr. Surfacer 500 with a toothpick.

post-1-1273343490.jpg

Some final sanding then on to surface detail.

Radu and I are talking about possibly doing a PE fret for this piece. It would contain some interior detail such as the perforated cowling stiffeners and their mounting ring, and probably the 4 cowling panel fastener "fishplates."

Would you folks rather see a PE fret with this type of detail, or a single resin piece that might be a bit more "plain" on the inside?

What up Chris,

Please, add me to the list also, and put me down for 5. Nice work so far!!! :)

Thanks, and Peace,

Alfonso

Yeah, it's official, Alfonso has it bad for the F4U. :fight: Reminds me of my addiction to the P-47!

Yeah, it's official, Alfonso has it bad for the F4U. :doh: Reminds me of my addiction to the P-47!

:oops:

I guess I'm busted, but I thought I've said it before, I LOVES THE CORSAIR :), ahem, excuse the yelling.

;) The truth is I really need 8, but am trying to control myself.... :frantic:

BTW-Great fix Chris, and I am just wondering if the AM engines available, cuz trumps sucks, will fit inside after the internal detail is added. That may help determine how far to go inside the cowling. I got some vector R 2800's if you need their measurements. I am also digging for pictures for you, but have been busy painting a mural for an upcoming movie. Will post as time permits. Thanks for the addage to the list.

Peace, The Corsair sicko,

Alfonso