1/16 scale scratch built AT-38B Talon-The Smurf jet is back!

I had some time to kill, so I thought I'd play with the pitot boom a bit more. Again, here's how it looked straight out of the lathe:

SDC11808.jpg

While looking the pitot boom over, Timmy! and I got into a discussion about how best to replicate the heated, bare metal tip. Timmy! suggested boiling the pitot boom in egg shells-it is turned from aluminum- so what the heck..Lets try it! Lucky for me, Marion was baking cookies, and saved the egg shells for me-

I think it turned out pretty cool. I've got a few coats of primer on the section that later needs to be painted "barber pole"

SDC11846.jpg

SDC11845.jpg

SDC11844.jpg

Regards,

Pete

Pete,

I could not help but take notice in one of your posting of a picture of General Olds; got him there to keep an eye on you?

Have you read his autobiography "Fighter Pilot"? I though I knew a fair amount about him but he was truly an American!

You work is amazing and I though having the Collect-Aire T-38 in 1/32 was great!

Barry

This is really great work Pete, and I know how much effort it is to document your work. Unlike a magazine article, this forum allows for a dialogue with other modelers. I know all of us genuinely appreciate that you are sharing your work with us. Not only is your work outstanding, but the article is first class a s well.

I do have a question: once Timmy! got the 3D model, did you consider making stereo lithography files from it and 3D printing some of the parts? I just had the hull for a 1/350 scale Normandie ocean liner printed from STL files that I created in TurboCad (don't laugh, it made a nice 3D model), and the detail (port holes, panel lines, etc.) was absolutely great. I do realize however, that doing it that way would take some of the fun out of the build!

I did see the Bronco at the 2008 IPMS NATS, and must apologize to Timmy! if he had to wipe any drool from it.........

Please keep us informed!

Ken Friend

I do have a question: once Timmy! got the 3D model, did you consider making stereo lithography files from it and 3D printing some of the parts?

I did see the Bronco at the 2008 IPMS NATS, and must apologize to Timmy! if he had to wipe any drool from it.........

Ken Friend

Hi Ken!

We do have a plan to 3D print a lot of the parts...particularly the "fiddly" bits... The canopy raising armature is a great candidate, as you have mirror-image components that are left/right sided but have to match...wheels too...plus a ton of other stuff.

There will also be a significant amount of photoetch to do-

Regards,

Pete

Hi Ken!

We do have a plan to 3D print a lot of the parts...particularly the "fiddly" bits... The canopy raising armature is a great candidate, as you have mirror-image components that are left/right sided but have to match...wheels too...plus a ton of other stuff.

There will also be a significant amount of photoetch to do-

Regards,

Pete

This is sounding better with each posting.

Barry

Impressive work as ever Pete. I can only stand back in admiration with the rest of LSP and hope that one day I'll have a mere percentage of your skills.

having used all of the different grains of Miliput, I find this easier to work, easier to blend and finish, and it will be dry in 24 hours every time. I hope you like it too!

I keep hearing about this stuff, and how it's better than Milliput, and I keep hoping that I'll find some down under. Milliput and I don't really get on; I just can't seem to make anything but a large mess with it. Never mind its miserable shelf life! Does anybody know of a stockist in Australia?

Kev

Hey Gents,

I've spent some time doing some work on the main gear wells and speedbrake bays. I needed to get some of this done now before I close the fuselage halves up-Much easier to do now than later. I plan on getting the shells together, then cutting away the doors. Most of the plumbing can wait til after that..Also, I won't risk damaging the delicate plumbing that runs along the edges-

Most of this is the .005 aluminum sheet. I've also got .010 styrene and bare Metal Foil in a few spots-Most of it applied with contact cement thinned with laquer thinner.

SDC11876.jpg

SDC11878.jpg

SDC11880.jpg

Thanks for looking-

Pig

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again-

Not much of an update, but a huge victory in the mental battle to complete this project. The pitot boom is done..This is the first component that I can point to and say "finished".

The mask was simple. The stripes are each 1 inch wide on the real jet. My model is 1/16th scale, so a double-wrap of 1/16th inch tape would work..after wrapping the entire tube with parallel strips of tape, simply remove one length of tape-

SDC11922.jpg

SDC11927.jpg

SDC11923.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Pete