Airfix 1/24th Mustang

Ironwing

Hey Geoff, whaddaya suppose will be more fun---building these wells, or detailing them? :evil_laugh:

Fred

Oh, a comedian eh? ;) Ill let you know. :evil_laugh:

Haven't been to the site for quite a while now, just no time. But i am glad i took a look this is simply amazing. No words to describe it. those flaps and aelerons are way out. Up to your usual fantastic standard. This is so beautiful.

Brian,

Glad you looked in and as always thanks for your compliments. Havent seen you about in a while. Hope all is well.

Cheers,

Geoff

Greetings All,

Ive finished up the false spar (the thing with the holes in it) and installed it into the wing. I didnt really want to putit in at this point but they had to be fixed in place to get them to fit properly and before I broke them. They are actually two pieces. The front yuo can see in the well. The back is an angled piece that prevents looking thru the spar, and it runs from the top down. This also stiffens the spar. It's really flimsy if you dont add some kind of angle brace to the back of it.

post-1406-1267388865.jpg

As Ive said prior, fit is everything when working with the aluminum. If your willing to invest the time, I think the results are worth it (IMHO). I wish I could get some descent pics without all the glare. Unfortunately, thats what happens with aluminum, but the wells are taking shape and they really do look like natural metal.

post-1406-1267389121.jpg

Geoff,

In the 1:1 mustang it appears that at least some portions of the main spar have a lip along the edge, (sort of like an 'I' beam) and that is how it is attached (rivited) to the wing skins. This could help the spar to maintain it's shape durring install and also add attachment surface.

Fred

I see that you decided on the number of lightening cutouts brother! Looks great as usual man. There was a pic on hyperscale yesterday that showed a wing that was seperated from the fuselage during a restore job. I think that Craig posted it. Had a good look at a wing without the "fake" floor pieces. Very illustrative.

J

Greetings All,

Ive finished up the false spar (the thing with the holes in it) and installed it into the wing. I didnt really want to putit in at this point but they had to be fixed in place to get them to fit properly and before I broke them. They are actually two pieces. The front yuo can see in the well. The back is an angled piece that prevents looking thru the spar, and it runs from the top down. This also stiffens the spar. It's really flimsy if you dont add some kind of angle brace to the back of it.

As always, uber impressive Geoff...How do you find drilling holes in this stuff works for you? (how do you go about it - Drill a small hole and file, punch, or a mixture?).

Regards

Derek

Hi Guys,

You are all too flattering but it feels good just the same.

Derek,

To answer your question: As you suspected, I first drill a pilot hole. The aluminum must be well supported. In this instance, rather than using successively larger drills, I used a conical burr and just kept enlarging the hole with the burr. I was concerned that the holes would remove too much material and the part would bend or torque. The burr worked nicely. Also, the part was placed on a metal block with holes drilled in it so the part could be placed flat against it for support. The aluminum is great stuff but you have to write the rule book as you go.

Glad you like...

OK, a wee bit more progress. Some days I just cant seem to make anything. Theyre the days I just walk away from it. Something as simple as the center rib (wasnt as simple as I thought it would be) gave me a hard time in fitting. You cant really see the true shape of this thing in the pics. It curves on the bottom and angles on the ends where it meets the lower forewall and the main spar :shrug: .

Then the two corner braces had to be made and the fastener detail put on. Unfortunately, I cant use those rivet decals. would make life easier. Ill also saythis. As each part goes in, the wing is becoming quite rigid when compared to what it was prior to the addition of the false spars.

post-1406-1267571347.jpg

It doesnt look like much but it took some time to make the center rib so it fit properly. The stiffener details on the rib will go on next. The rib isnt fixed in place yet and can be pulled out from the top leaving behind the angle braces which are fixed to the lower firewall,then Ill start the wing ribs proper. I cant wait :shrug:

Work continues...Hope everyone is well.

Cheers,

Geoff

post-1406-1267571653.jpg