Early P-51 Sumthin

ruzlkampf

I accentuated the scribing with some pencil markings for better visibility, hope ya'll don't mind? OK, now I've decided to go with my original load-out of 2-1000 pounders and bazooka tubes. This woulda killed any and all performance of this AC, but it sure looks cool. Here's a pic showing it was really done at least once.

post-4413-1259579969.jpg

That's also a good shot of how the mgs are positioned in the wing. Here's the model with all the ordnance dragged back outta the box. I'll have to scratch up some bazooka mounting attachments, but that's all good fun. :speak_cool:

post-4413-1259580103.jpg

Hmmm, that modified Revell P-40 prop is lookin pretty close now that I gaze at it a bit more 'n more. That'll do nicely methinks. OK, I've been looking up and off to the left deciding what kind of markings I'm going to go for, and this kinda fits the bill. Generic 1st Air Commando markings (I'm going to leave 'Miss Virginia' for Rick, a.k.a. vvwse4, to do for a future build. hint,.....hint there Rick :speak_cool: )

post-4413-1259580483.jpg

Now I was trying to think of a proper name for the old girl, risque,.....but 'family friendly' also. Whuf, that wasn't too easy. :) After pondering for a bit, I've decided to call this one 'Flung-Dung'. :doh: Don't know where I heard it before, but it fits this build to a tee. The markings for this Commando unit weren't too gaudy; just simple yellow lettering on the starboard side of the nose. 'Flung-Dung' should afix into this space nicely. :speak_cool:

Here's a pic of a nice line-up of some of this units P-51A's. Natural metal spinner tip/wing-elevator tips/and top of rudder. Nice and simple; I like that. Updates after I get some plastic aflyin and get some progress going on this build once again. Later, Russ

post-4413-1259581390.jpg

Generic 1st Air Commando markings (I'm going to leave 'Miss Virginia' for Rick, a.k.a. vvwse4, to do for a future build. hint,.....hint there Rick :goodjob: )

post-4413-1259580483.jpg

Read you loud and clear Russ. Hint taken, finish up what I am working on right now and next build will be

rockettubes.jpg

Only the top one.

Sure´s a nice row of stangs don´t you agree?

Rick.

Aaaaaah yes, after yet another short hiatus from building models Peter;....I felt like painting something today. :whistle: So, I picked it up and started airbrushing some olive drab....then a little bit more, and ended up painting the whole darn thing today! That felt GOOD.

Taking another little break while decaling, so I thought I'd show where I wuz earlier today before doing that. This is all paint. Noticed the particular aircraft I'm modeling had a slight mottle of medium green, (it was a color pic, whoohoo!) so I went ahead and splotched some on. This is before any panel washing or weathering so it looks kinda funky. I'm going to be weathering this one pretty good, and this will all blend together ( :) ) eventually. I'm hoping to wow Rick with a super scrungy P-51A based in India. Here's some progress pics of where I was;

post-4413-1260162938.jpg

post-4413-1260162961.jpg

I'm starting to wrap this one up pretty quickly now. Gotta get it whacked out so I can start on my next project for this GB. Heh heh, methinks I can squeeze ONE more build outta this time-line. :whistle: Should have a few more pics of this with the decals on, and the canopy/landing gear doors installed tonight. This plane will be done within the next few days. :) More updates later on tonight! Later, Russ

post-4413-1260163549.jpg

Hi Russ,

Just caught up with this one. This seems to be one of your more 'sensible' builds! (although with Russ, 'sensible' is always a very relative and flexible term :lol:). As usual, you have done a superb job of this build, and you are so fast! Keep up the good work buddy :)

(Now where the heck is your P-38 build, mutter, mutter...)

Cheers

Derek

Russ- Awesome work as usual. I am loving the camo job you sprayed on her. Apologies if this was asked already (I cannot seem to find your answer) But didn't you say the wing guns were off in this kit somehow????? Didn't you try to rework them a bit?

Keep up the beautiful work....

THOR :frantic: