Early P-51 Sumthin

ruzlkampf

Whoakay, OK....let me try this again. I'm as slow as a glacier, but I'm getting the hang of this. :rolleyes: Heeey Rick, thanks for the pics! Hmmm, really like that NMF version up there, but alas this will be a 1st Air Commando camo. I'm thinkin that I shouldn't make this 'Miss Virginia', but something close. Doesn't matter to me which plane I make this, so I think I'll leave that particular scheme for you to do at a later date? ;) (as it's a favorite of yours)

Lemme see if I can peck something out here, without giving myself a flatter forehead or another headache. Worked on the load-out a bit today. Got the bazooka tubes drilled out, and some Dragon P-51 bomb shackles fitted to some Trumpeter 1000-pounders. This will do nicely.

post-4413-1243752239.jpg

Hmmmm, OK this isn't going too badly. Also started on the landing gear. Kit tires and rims are less than optimal, so I'm going with some TrueDetails resin replacements. I carved away the bulged sidewalls so they wouldn't look uninflated...just flat on the bottoms. Oh yeah,.....I'm hacking up the prop too. I liked the inner hub of the thin prop blades, but used the outer tips of the later wider prop. Forgot to remove the scraps from the cutting board. Whups.

post-4413-1243752749.jpg

Got the wing attached, and the radiator scoop whittled down to fit OK. Had to use shims to get the wing to sit just right, but it all came together in the end. Ammo chutes are re-done on the wing bottom, and I moved one of the landing lights to the outer starboard wing. I'm ready for the final filler coat of dissolved putty on all the joints, and Milliput for the remaining holes in the wing.

post-4413-1243752886.jpg

Broad overview of where I'm at. Still don't have the barrels of the .50's in the wing yet, but I've got the light moved and everything ready for filler. You can just make out my hacked prop. I'll be smoothing and profiling this tonight. Still shaving down that little 'ledge' on the nose to get it smoother. Not sure how much further I can go without leaving a hole, but it's looking much better.

post-4413-1243754064.jpg

Howdy Barry! Glad you're following along, and like the build. Feel like I'm bombing big-time on this thing cuz I just can't get it like I want. Aaaach, some models are just like that! :P

Not much to report, just on answering some PM's and decided to show the latest. Got the gear stuck on at hopefully the correct angles, mg barrels installed and a lot of minor puttying done. Still need to sand the Milliput I put in the old light positions, but it's getting there.

post-4413-1243856045.jpg

Different view. Hmmm, I ought to put the Malcom hood on and show ya'll what that looks like. Also played around with a Revell P-51B to see how the parts lined up on this, and was wildly surprised to see how close the wings were to matching. If I wasn't able to un-warp the wing....I would've gone that route.(and gnashed my teeth while rescribing the darn things! :P )

But I digress;

post-4413-1243856711.jpg

Prop didn't turn out too bad for a hack-job,....but still needs to be rounded and thickened down by the prop root next to the hub. Bahhh. :(

Sheesh, still having problems posting. Duhhhhh. Okay, decided i couldn't leave well enough alone,....so I'm going to open up the rear radiator flap. Nothing like flirting with disaster, eh?

Here's how it looks on the bottom. Can't wait for the gear to dry over-nite, so I can finally put the wheels and stuff on. Despite all my bumblings so far, this is real close to painting. I'll post some more pics tomorrow night....it's time for some sleep. Later All, Russ

post-4413-1243857058.jpg

Whah hah!!! Back with another update. :) Did a 'full dress rehearsal' on the broken winged bird tonight, and I think it's gonna be alright! Tacked the landing gear doors on, and they have too much of a downward slope at the bottom. I can whack that off. Put the 'stang up on the catwalk to show ya'll what it looks like. Whoohoo! :rolleyes: It's not looking too bad considering the hassle it's given me. heh heh. :rolleyes:

post-4413-1243942600.jpg

Gonna get fancy and try to post 2 pics in the same post. Getting the hang of this new computer slowly but surely. Rear view showing my new opened up radiator. Whoooo.

post-4413-1243942752.jpg

Alright,... that went well. Here's the other side just for giggles and grins.

post-4413-1243942910.jpg

Top view showing the scoop shape. Light is coming from the rear quarter, so it's looks kinda lopsided without a shadow there. Check out those stress marks from where I had to pop the warp outta the wing. Plastic is very thin, and a dunk in boiling water and some 'thumb action' worked OK. Whew! :)

post-4413-1243943232.jpg

Sheesh, I'm slow as a glacier on this thing. Let's move on...eh?! Top view showing my filled in wings. I still need to scribe the gunbay covers,(I don't think the way they did it on the kit represents ANY version at all?) but I'll skate thru that.

post-4413-1243943464.jpg

Front view showing the .50cal barrels and such. I should've put the outer barrels about 3mm closer to the inners, but Meh, I'll survive.

post-4413-1243943590.jpg

Rear top view. Should be a trim tab actuator on the top of the elevator on this side. It's molded on the bottom. Haven't done that yet cuz I think the elevators are metal on the 'A' and shouldn't have a fabric texture? Hmmm, still looking that over.

post-4413-1243943818.jpg

Front view from the other side at more of a 'ground level'. What a cool looking plane.

post-4413-1243943894.jpg