Early P-51 Sumthin

ruzlkampf

OK, last set of pics before I call it a night. Here's another frontal view from the other side. Can't wait to get the bombs and bazooka tubes on this contraption. Oh yeah, a radio directional finder on the spine and such too.

post-4413-1243944100.jpg

And a nice profile to end my computer shenanigans for the night. Think I'm finally getting the hang of this little keyboard. Muwhahah. Just might have some paint on this thng next time I post,....see ya'll then! :) Later, Russ

post-4413-1243944282.jpg

Russ,

Beautiful, beautiful work! The excellence of this model is such that I feel obliged to offer an observation while you're still able to address it, if you wish. Put bluntly: the shape of your propeller strikes me as wrong. In the photo you posted above, for example:

post-4413-1243944100.jpg

... the chord of your prop seems to be essentially constant from approximately the half-span point out to the rounded tip, whereas the P-51A photos I've found show the prop's chord to be maximum near the half-span point and then to decrease slightly toward the tip because the trailing edge slants forward -- e.g., as shown blow:

P-51A_prop.jpg

Although I've chosen this pair of photos because both are taken from roughly the same perspective, I'll be happy to send you scans of others by e-mail if you like. [it's particularly important to compare three-quarter view photos taken from either the left or the right side, due to propellers' asymmetrical twist.] Also, different Allison-powered Mustangs used different props, so It's important to find photos of the relevant sub-type. Do I understand correctly that you're doing a P-51A?

Just trying to help,

Charles Metz

Hey Rick, PM sent. :D Ahhhh, Charles glad you noticed! :D Glad you like the build so far,...I'm still playing around with 'things'. The tailwheel doors aren't opened at the correct angles(molded like that on kit), and I'm going to have to change those outer mg barrel positions(can't hang with them off like that), and well, I could go on. This kit reminds me of a limited run model, basically all there....but sure needs some work. :lol: I'm going to show some of the cards I've been holding, so ya'll can see what i've been playing around with.

First I wanted to show what the 'malcom hood' that comes in the kit looks like. Check it out.

post-4413-1244024104.jpg

Got the 'plan 'C' prop on in this pic off a Revell P-40E. Can't see it too well in this pic, but it's been re-profiled. Not only is the kit prop not tapered correctly, it isn't 'rounded' at the prop root like it's supposed to be. More on that in a second.

Okay, enough about what I WON"T be doing! :D Here's a better view of another prop I've been working on.(amongst other tid-bits) Still have to feather everything in with some dissolved putty, but it will require less work than my 'plan B' prop.(which is already 1/2 way scratch-built) I'm lazy, what can I say?! :D

post-4413-1244025326.jpg

Looks a bit more scale, but still not perfect. I've already hacked this kit prop, but as can be seen...the blades are just flat slabs that have a slight twist. I want rounded toward the prop hub. Here's a comparison from the front.

post-4413-1244025559.jpg

Another crappy pic of what it looks like on the plane. Hmmm, may have to putty this one up and paint it to see exactly what it looks like completed. Want to finish this build sometime in my lifetime, so I don't really know how far I'll go with it? Gah, I've GOT to move those outer mg barrels....that's bugging me. :D Thanks for that great pic of the prop Charles, much appreciated! Really helping me get my profiles close on my alternate prop choices. Gotta go diddle around with this thing some more now,...so I'll post more pics as things morph into shape, eh?! Later All, Russ

post-4413-1244026316.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just happened to take a pic of this tonight with my new reshaped prop in place. Haven't worked on this in awhile, cuz my old compressor died while spraying some top-color. This was as far as I got. I've abandoned the bombs and bazooka tubes, and have it set-up with some Dragon 75gal. tanks/pylons/shackles for the long-range fighter mission. Blast,...I can't wait for my new compressors to show up, it's really crimping my style. :o More progress pics soon! Russ

post-4413-1247316931.jpg

Hi Russ,

Good to see your enthusiastic self back :) !

...and good to see you have taken out the old builds. I can't wait to see your completed Flapjack. Maybe your compressor's demise is a blessing for all of us LSP members, as we will see your builds continuing whilst you wait for the new one :) :P :lol:

Take care.

Hubert.

• 2 weeks later...

Great stuff Russ! Thank you for the thorough photos as those of us without this kit in our hands can really see it. Not sure of kit differences, but I just bought #1712 P-51A Air Commandos issue for @ $38.00 incl. shipping. From struggling with grafting a Revell B spine to a Hase. D, with wing root and gun mod. etc., this should be a relief regardless of the little issues you have kindly shown. I just hope to find the other kits for a "song and dance" too! Keep us informed, it is looking great.

• 4 months later...

Whahoooo! Did something today I never ever,....EVER do. I dusted a model off. :) Geeesh, they usually never hang around long enough for the paint-smell to go away. Alright, this P-51A has been a pebble in my shoe for too long now, and it's time to bang on it again. Lessee, I remember my old compressor died just as I was starting to paint this darn thing,....and I'd been cursing the fact that my outboard mg's were 2mm off. Not anymore!!!! :speak_cool: Here's a pic of where I was going with this thing, and a shot of how the mg's are SUPPOSED to look. Had the drop tanks on for the air superiority mission, and was just going for the 'clean look'.

post-4413-1259579194.jpg

Been putting off re-aligning/re-defining those mg's for too long. The outboard guns were just a yak hair too far out, and not level with the horizon. (they should look slightly low) I was juuuust able to squeeze some new ones into their proper place without buggering up what I already got. Simple little putty job will knock the old locations out. Still have to put the barrels in, but here's the latest incarnation of what I did.

post-4413-1259579568.jpg

While I was at it, I went ahead and scribed the missing ammo access lines. (aaaaah, it's nice not taking pictures of something 3-1/2 ft. long for a change. :speak_cool: )

post-4413-1259579637.jpg