F-4J Phantom II

A small update for this morning, with hopefully a larger one to follow later today.

I decided to give resin wheels a try, even though I had previously thought this was maybe a bit of overkill. As is often the case, I was wrong. Cutting Edge makes a really nice set of slightly bulged Navy wheels for the Phantom. I primarily used the Promodeller's dark wash as the weathering for them. Too much?

Wheels1800x.jpg

Then, because I often get like a kid at Christmas when I get to this point in a build, I just had to get some more markings on at least part of this kit. :rolleyes: It's out of sequence but won't hurt anything as long as I don't let myself go any farther with them. I LOVE DRY TRANSFERS! :rolleyes: They look so much better than any water-slide decal can possibly look, period. The only thing that could be any better would be actual paint. Now I want them for every kit I ever do! :)

Transfers3800x.jpg

As always, thanks for all the encouragement!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Great looking set of wheels, they came up really nice. I shall be starting on mine again really soon just as soon as I get this A10 thing out of my head.

I think your Phantom will end up making mine look bad. :) :rolleyes:

Keep up the great work!

Thanks

Ian :rolleyes:

Cutting Edge makes a really nice set of slightly bulged Navy wheels for the Phantom. I primarily used the Promodeller's dark wash as the weathering for them. Too much?

Perfect I'd say! They actually look like dirty metal wheel rims in the photo you posted, just like the ones on my car. :rolleyes:

Great job Dave, I'm heading towards gobsmacked.

Kev

Thanks a bunch, Guys!

Have I mentioned that Alclad rules? No? Alclad RULES!

The NMF has been applied to the tail area, and after that set-up for a while I went back over it with Alclad 'jet exhaust' which is just bloody awesome.

This is another of those areas that had me sweating bullets....

Exhaust2800x.jpg

Exhaust1800x.jpg

I'm particularly happy with the way it left aluminum areas behind the raised seams farther back on the tail. It doesn't show quite as well in these pictures but I think it's pretty realistic. Don't know what the pros would think of it but I'm stoked! :rolleyes:

OK, I'm done for the night!

The first thing anyone familiar with this aircraft will notice is that the walkways are black instead of gray. The gray ones in the HobbyDecal set are water-slide and reacted like no decal I've ever encountered to water. It was almost like I dipped it in Micro Sol! It just stretched and wrinkled all over the place and was impossible to work with. So I had to use the black decals from the kit. (I kinda think it looks better with them black anyway...)

If the stripe with the chevrons reacts anything like that I'm in deeeeeep doo-doo. They're on a different sheet and seem to be more substantial.

Kinda looks like a Phantom now!

1223a800x.jpg

1223b800x.jpg

1223c800x.jpg

Merry Christmas!!

Looks a whole lot better than the Revell Navy Phantom I built years ago. ;) Now I don't feel so bad that my nephew filched it from my mom's attic. I still have an original Revell F-4E kit in the stash. It's molded in the ugliest copper color plastic I've ever seen. Get around to it someday.

What can I tell ya? I'm like a kid at Christmas. At least it is Christmas!

Since the following remark is entirely about the markings and has nothing whatsoever to do with the build itself, I feel OK about saying that this is one very sexy scheme! There were a couple of markings that I was considering. I'm really happy I chose this one! :lol:

These hi-viz jets were almost half warbird, half race car with all the bold graphics. I think maybe that's one reason I like 'em so much.

I promise, I'll stop sending the "Look, I added another decal!" updates after this. Kid at Christmas......

122407a800x.jpg

122407c800x.jpg

122407d800x.jpg