1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

Iain

A quick tip for the curing problem buddy. Just add a little more hardener to your mix. It decreases the life of the mold but in your case,with limited castings needed,what does it matter?

The engines could have been put in a "split mold" These are one piece and I find it easy to get the bubbles out of these and as they are joined at the bottom,they line up almost perfectly every time.

HTH,

J

Hiya Jerry - thanks - I'll try that with the rubber I have left in that pot :)

Hmmm - split moulds? Hadn't thought of that - will have to have a go... Am on a learning curve with this and suspect I'll never stop learning! (but that's part of the fun!) :)

Iain

any chance I can borrow your molds? I'll pay for shipping in both directions. I've got a pressure pot and I need the engines for a 1/32 B-29 project from Doug Feeney's old vacform.

And again, if you need any more pics of the Connie just let me know.

Bruce Radebaugh

• 1 month later...

any chance I can borrow your molds? I'll pay for shipping in both directions. I've got a pressure pot and I need the engines for a 1/32 B-29 project from Doug Feeney's old vacform.

How about a lend-lease program? My Starliner project will need a set of engines as well. lol Even your reject castings would be incredibly useful

• 1 month later...

As it wasn't raining this afternoon I grabbed a few hours to work on Connies wings...

Spar measured up and fitted (60 thou sheet) and the wing upper and lower halves bonded.

Packing tape run along the leading edge to act as a 'mould' for polyeurethane resin to seep through any gaps (of which there were many) and form a solid leading edge section on the inside of the wing.

Started more sanding but - ooops - smoke poured out of my bench sander - I think it's now an ex bench sander!

Rough piccies - a little progress at least:

re2005721.JPG

re2005722.JPG

Ooops - just spotted messages about engines - I'll drop you guys an email later in the week.

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Working out next stages in my head:

1. Fill wings with foam and get surfaces good

2. Cut out lower fuselage and make centre section spars so that wings can be slotted in place

3. Cut out main gear bays

4. Correct and fit cowl fairings to wings

Enough to be going on with - here's a quick looksee this evening - can you tell what it is yet?? :)

re2005723.JPG

re2005724.JPG

re2005725.JPG

re2005726.JPG

re2005727.JPG

Have fun!

Iain

*Very* slowly - but yes - think we may be getting somewhere at last. Think most of the shapes are pretty good now - certainly starting to look like a Connie I think... :hmmm:

Just need some nice weather here in UK so I can sit in the garden and work on her...

Kevin - room eh? Haven't got a clue where I'll put her when done - but I'm not even thinking about that!! :frantic:

Iain

Hi Iain,

I am having difficulty contacting you on the PM system (you are not receiving them - maybe your in box is full or something?) - do you have an e-mail address that I can contact you on?

Cheers

Derek

... Can you tell what it is yet?? :)

What it is? A thing of beauty, is what it is.

Wish I had room for something this cool.

Edited by Allok

I am having difficulty contacting you on the PM system (you are not receiving them - maybe your in box is full or something?) - do you have an e-mail address that I can contact you on?

Hi Derek - try iain@skywriters.net - just bear in mind I've got stacks of email going to and fro atm - so can't guarantee immediate response! (did get your email yesterday re. 262 :))

EDIT - sorry - my box was full! Fixed now - so that channel should work now - please do not adjust your sets!

Allok - I think the Constellation is one of the most beautiful aeroplanes to grace the skies - it's the thought of having that Iconic shape in such a large scale on display that's keeping the interest going. And, to be honest, biggest battle with a project like this isn't materials, references, tools, or techniques - it's simply keeping the enthusiasm going!!

Iain

Edited by 32SIG