1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

Iain

superb...

Indeed! One of the most ambitious modelling projects I've ever witnessed. I bought an example of the Airfix 1/72 kit last weekend at a swap meet, and it's impressive enough in size even in that scale. My mind boggles at a 1/32 version!

Kev

Hi Iain,

What can I say but “size does matter”; a 1.2 meter wing span is huge.

Can not wait to see how you intent to support such a large wing span.

Beautiful work on the wing sanding, looks like a perfect job.

Can not wait until you re scribe the wing also tip tank look perfect.

Look forward to your work on the canopy area, I suggesting that you will make your own canopy, if so love to see the build process on making the Connies canopy.

Look forward to more updates.

Christian :speak_cool:

Iian, this build is awesome. I never imagined taking a belt sander or an orbital to a model, a Dremel is almost too scary for me, but I have to admire your skills at doing it without completely demolishing the wing. Can't wait to see more, especially the paint scheme, and where you're going to store this monster.

Matt :party0023:

Thanks for the kind words guys - it's feedback like this that spurs me on...

As to use of power tools - you do have to take great care as it's easy to rip through/melt the plastic - but if I'd had to do all of this by hand I'd have even less sanity than I do now (yes - it is possible! :mental: )

Just about to dig out those lower wings as it's raining again in old blighty so I can't get my DIY done on the barn - such a pity...

Iain

• 1 month later...

Iain, I hope you have a big shelf or a glass case for this bad boy. It is one huge mother. Now, the art profile as you signature...is that the marking this 121 will be in? If so, totally cool. I have a 1/72 that I'm hoping to do it in similar colors. Keep up the good work.

Mike

Guest Peterpools

Agreed, Progress is most important. Wings are really coming together and looking good after the sanding session.

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn:

I must confess this is the first time I've looked in on this project (I think), but it looks really cool so far my man. I really get a kick out of these large, unusual projects. Keep on going.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys - so many 'positive waves' as Oddball would say!

Have done some more work on wings - will try post an update at the weekend - in between Lightning stuff.

Iain

OK - with most of the day free today - and weather good enough to work outside I decided to bite the bullet and do the wing undersides - something I'd been putting off as I wasn't looking forward to it...

Well - after about 7 hours work and multiple power tools:

re2005435.JPG

Reason I'd put these off - upper surfaces were hard to do - but the cut outs here are a lot larger. Here I've marked out areas to be cut out and filled.

re2005436.JPG

And the cut-outs, well, cut out I guess :)

re2005437.JPG

After filling with 60 thou polystyrene sheet, filling leading edges with casting resin over a plastic sheet form, and an hour, or so, on the bench sander, followed by the Mouse...

re2005438.JPG

Getting there...

That's all for now - next stage is to add wing tips to the lower surfaces and mark up cut outs for ailerons and flaps so these can be cut out.

Iain

OK - fast progress tonight courtesy of Heller, an iPhone, a 1 meter rule and Swann Morton's finest:

re2005439.JPG

So - flaps and ailerons out! Upper surfaces have bowed - so need to stabilise before bonding the halves together.

NOTE: Yes - the wing tips aren't correctly shaped - but as they need to be clipped to fit the tip tanks that's a bit of a moot point! :rolleyes:

I have a positive vibe about this - would like to get some spars made up at the weekend...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

I have a positive vibe about this - would like to get some spars made up at the weekend...

Iain

looking great Ian I love this project I'm still sanding away the plastic on mine but its getting there the shapes sure do improve when the ridges have been parted especially on the wing parts anyway I digress.... You mention you're going to make spras for this one does this mean the wings are going to be hollow or do these also need to be filled with that Pu type foam?? Just checking as spars sound a tad more interesting for what i'm up against actually

Cheers

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Hi Frederick,

No simple answer I'm afraid - the insides of the leading edges will probably be solid polyeurethane casting resin, and some areas may get a foam fill - we'll see!

Hi Peter,

Won't be tip to tip: probably around 75% as there will be quite a bit of strength already in the wings and I'll fill tips with resin so I have something to drill and pin the tip tanks into position.

Just need to get a fresh order in for some large plastic sheet in various thicknesses...

OK - bit more this evening (I did say I was making progress) - but this time I wanted to start making something rather than ripping apart and sanding - so making a start on the nose gear bay:

re2005440.JPG

Here's a rough outline of the bay made by running a permanent maker around the opening.

re2005441.JPG

Foam cut out along suitable lines with a razor saw and bread knife!

re2005442.JPG

Here everything placed back in the starboard fuselage half to check size of cut-outs...

re2005443.JPG

Looks good...

re2005444.JPG

For those that have ever wondered why the grid on a cutting mat is so useful - how else do you square things off quickly? :) This is the rear bulkhead - in 30 thou sheet.

re2005445.JPG

A dummy ceiling has been made from 30 thou and aligned with a front bulkhead. All dry fitted at present...

re2005446.JPG

And rear bulkhead...

Happy that the core shapes/position of bay is good and everything square - I can now go and pour over photos and start making up the details :)

Back soon!

Iain

Edited by 32SIG